German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here I go again asking all you experts out there. I am about to spend around $50 (incl. shipping) for a 32oz of Timberwolf Organics Alaskan Salmon Oil. As you all know our GSDs need skin protection more than other breeds. I figured, I eat salmon almost every week and know how good it is for you, so why not share the goodness with our awesome pup?

But then, I wonder if feeding him such good foods as Orijen/Canidae/Royal Canin, etc., would make up for Omega oils included in these ingredients. By far the % is much higher in these oils than in the foods (I have researched that much). Any ideas/suggestions out there???? OH!! My pup is now 5 mos. old!!!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Is just giving 1000 mg fish oil fine? Thats what I give my dogs in addition to their Canidae dog food...

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Most dry foods are high in Omega 6 - from plants - but not high enough in Omega 3 - from animal sources. That's why giving Salmon Oil or feeding raw fish is very good for dogs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Moparlvr - Thanks for the KV info - I just bought some salmon oil from another vendor, but will use KV next time because the price is less.

Can you explain the link between vitamin E when adding the salmon oil to the dog's diet? I just started using the salmon oil this morning and wasn't aware of the vitamin E requirement...

I learn something new on this board everyday!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the info - I'll check out the link you posted!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
SO- if I am understanding correctly- without giving my dogs Vitamin E along with fish oil, the fish oil doesnt do them any good?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Danni, I will let the other person answer that for you since he is the one who supplied all the links and info, but you know what? I didn't waste any time, I ordered both things and should get them this week. It won't hurt to add more vit. 3 along with the salmon oil I guess. Let's see what he answers.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
FYI - I've seen the Grizzly in Pet Supply Plus.......

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use Grizzly Salmon Oil and Vit E (sold @ Leerburg). I've looked around for Grizzly oil at other places, and can't really find it any cheaper, and I like the Vit E they have, so I use that. The lady at the local all-natural pet food store tried to talk me into using Timberwold Organics, but I like the Grizzly, so didn't even try it.

Kodee had mange as a pup, and I'm sure no one would ever believe it if they saw him now. He has the thickest, shiniest coat I've ever seen. He also eats Orijen, and sometimes The Honest Kitchen Force w/raw chicken.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Danni - I found this statement:

"We always give Vitamin E along with salmon oil as part of our natural diet, as this good omega 3 will deplete the body reserves of Vitamin E used to stabilize these highly reactive oil molecules."

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks!! I am going to bring this to the attention of my vet as he only told me fish oil... I dont want to use it without the E then so they get depleted of another essential vitamin need! Ya know I love this site! I have learned so much since joining!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
moparlvr- I seen the thread link, but when I clicked on it, it only took me to the forums- I couldnt find that particular thread?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts