German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
From the dog perspective, both dogs I've had, always just wanted to be near me...

I work from home and often the dog door is available all day...my dog may go out in the yard for a quick pee, then he comes right back and resumes his position in the hall outside the office.

When I was a kid and our Great Dane sometimes wasn't allowed inside (by my mom), she laid on the patio and gazed in sadly at us. I felt bad about it....sometimes I went outside and sat in her doghouse with her.

I really think that the average dog, if given a choice, chooses to be wherever their humans are!

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
There are way to many “outside“ dogs in my neck of the woods that live their lives in small yards all alone. Throw them some food and water, and go back in the house. I hear “oh he gets too excited if I let him in, so he has to stay outside”. Idiots.
oh, there’s plenty here too. you can’t keep a dog locked up 24/7 and not expect it to be hyper!!!! there’s someone that lives pretty close to me that has a pit bull in the smallest kennel i have ever seen. it’s pathetic, i always get angry when i pass. there’s always grass grown up taller than the dog and i NEVER see it get out and play or even interact with anyone. it stays in its dog house majority of the time. the owners doesn’t even need him, but why can’t they at least put a chain on the dog and connect it to the kennel so the poor dog can at least get out of the kennel and walk around. it’s so cruel.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes. How about you live outside and see how it feels. Bring the dog inside and treat it like a member of your family (which, they are).
I mean, to me, it’s not cruel if the dog likes staying outside and has proper shelter, food and water. I don’t believe in leaving a dog locked up outside for all it’s life, but it’s not always a bad thing if a dog lives outside, to me. it all depends on the dog, and how it’s cared for! i wouldn’t say my shepherds actually live outside, but like right now my they are outside in their kennels bc we went hiking today and they got super muddy. in the morning, i will let them out, they will stay out and be with me all day, if i decide to bathe them, i’ll bring them inside lol this is just my opinion, though. i enjoy getting to see opinions from different perspectives!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think there are three main categories and as with anything there can be a blend across them.

Pets, There are good owners and bad. The worst seem to be small lap dogs that were never trained, no dog socialization, often off leash.
Properly maintained livestock, but they are typically a pack so have social interaction like sled dogs
Animal cruelty, mostly locked up with no or very little social interaction

·
Registered
4 Posts
“Dogs are highly social animals and are well adapted to living in groups. Studies have also shown that they are very good at interpreting human gestures and behavior“.

Isn‘t this the essence of keeping our dogs? Unless multiple dogs are kept outside and for a very specific reason, there’s not a chance in h... that all your dog’s needs are being met.

My bride could hang all of my family’s clothes on a line, strung between two trees, to dry, but I’d like to think we’ve gotten beyond the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

If you’re keeping a single dog outside, without knowing all of your reasons and degree of husbandry, yes, it’s cruel .... as well as a whole host of other things.
I couldn't agree more. My uncle's dogs have a different lifestyle than my own. They have never seen the inside of the house, yet each has their own shelter outside. They're farm's dogs, Keyword dogS, they are "free-range" (e.i not tied to any area) and each have their own jobs to perform. As you mentioned having only one dog, would not meet the dog's social needs. What comes to mind is when you see photos of barn dogs that prefer to sleep with the other farm animals. My own dog, on the other hand, is as spoiled as can be. Being a long coat Shepard during the summer months he loves sleeping on the patio. However, he has a choice to come inside at any time, with the doggy door. I would have to agree that keeping a dog chained up, outside (shelter or not) would be cruel and a thing of the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like kids most dogs enjoy freedom but just like parent's it's the dog owner's responsibility to ensure they are comfortable & safe. Whether or not having them outside 100% of the time is cruel depends on how well the owner has prepared the area to make the dog safe & comfortable. Another consideration is that dogs are social animals & they don't like being alone so even when the area is OK dogs are not happy when left alone all the time. However under no circumstances should any dog spend its entire life chained to a doghouse or locked up in a kennel. If that's how they need to be kept why have a dog at all?
Here in South Florida it gets very hot & humid & we can have lots of mosquitoes. here it's crucial that outdoor dogs have a place where they can get away from the hot sun, rain & bugs. I know of at least one person who installed an A/C wall unit in a dog house. He says before he did that his GSD dog was miserable.
Every place also has its dangers from wild animals. Some places have cougars that seem to have no problems eating dogs. Here lots of our yards back up to lakes & canals. It's commonplace for our lakes & water ways to have big alligators & even a few crocodiles. I know some that feel it's their dog's responsibility to learn about gators on their own but we feel very strongly against that way of thinking. If our house backed up to water known to have gators & crocs my dogs would never be out there unsupervised.
Our fenced yard can comfortably hold at least two adult GSD's but we enjoy being with our dogs so we like having them inside as much as possible during the day & always inside at night.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Something that has always disturbed me is when people have an ”inside” dog, and an “outside” dog. We see it all too frequently at the grooming shop. I’ll groom their little dog and they will say “oh, we have an outside dog- could you cut his nails?”. Usually they volunteer that the dog is an “outside” dog only because it’s a big dog, and big dogs don’t come inside. I always wonder how that big dog feels when the little dog goes in and out.
Now that the weather is so nice, when I walk my dogs together and come home the 5 year old often hangs a few yards behind at the door. I just ask him "do you want in or out" and he'll either stand where he is or run up to the door depending on what he wants. He's always done that once was was an adult and hasn't changed with the pup.

With the warm weather and squirrels and rabbits to be chased, sometimes they just prefer some porch sittin' and sure don't resent the one going inside. No, I'd personally never have a pure outside dog but many people also treat their dogs way way way too soft and should have got a lap dog :p

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Oh I agree. I’m one to toss the dogs outside for awhile and tell them “go be a dog!”

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
I must have missed something, why was the poster Kyshepherds banned from the forum???
My guess would be a previously banned person that comes back periodically and asks crazy, controversial, questions designed for attention. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
My Zac is truly an outside person. He sleeps inside at night, but we really have to make him come inside, he would be very happy outside all night, but I worry, so that’s a no. Winter here on NY? Nope, he comes in! I think you have to key off your own Shepherd..one size doesn’t fit all..

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have mostly had outside dogs. For 30 years I housed my dogs in an attached garage with a doggie door and did not let them in the house because they had five acres of fenced in property with a pond. I have now downsized and even though my dog was a maniac as a pup, he is great in the house. There are advantages to both ways of housing. If you have a large outdoor fenced area there is less disruption to the house. With the right dog, allowing him to spend a lot of time in the house allows you to verbally interact with the dog much more and develop their native intelligence. This approach is much better accomplished with having just one dog.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts