German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Something that has always disturbed me is when people have an ”inside” dog, and an “outside” dog. We see it all too frequently at the grooming shop. I’ll groom their little dog and they will say “oh, we have an outside dog- could you cut his nails?”. Usually they volunteer that the dog is an “outside” dog only because it’s a big dog, and big dogs don’t come inside. I always wonder how that big dog feels when the little dog goes in and out.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Something that has always disturbed me is when people have an ”inside” dog, and an “outside” dog. We see it all too frequently at the grooming shop. I’ll groom their little dog and they will say “oh, we have an outside dog- could you cut his nails?”. Usually they volunteer that the dog is an “outside” dog only because it’s a big dog, and big dogs don’t come inside. I always wonder how that big dog feels when the little dog goes in and out.
I wonder that as well. Bud spent his days outside most often. He preferred it. But the girls were with me all the time. I used to wonder if it bothered him that he was always separate. Well not always, he spent tons of time with us. But he jumped fences so was in his kennel unless I was watching.
I think stuff like that can breed resentment though, and I think about that when I hear about small dogs getting attacked.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
Many people house their dogs in kennels. Hunting dogs do not live in the house. Some sport dogs live in kennels. It's common overseas for that. Is it cruel? No, not if they are well taken care of.

Would my dogs be happy and content living there? if that was all they ever knew they most likely would be. Do I htink the dog has a higher quality of life, mentally and emotionally, living inside with it's family ? Yes. They are living, thinking, creatures. I don't really see the point of buying an animal and having them live outside. I bought the dog for my enjoyment. Hard to enjoy an animal living in a kennel. But others buy strictly for work or sport and that's all they want. It works for them.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Last night I was doing some yoga before bed. The boys roll around on the floor and try to position themselves were I might be able to rub their belly. I reached out my arm to stretch, laying on my back on the floor, and I felt a big paw plunk into my outstretched hand. Then hear the lab tail thumping about how happy he is he is holding my hand now.

I way rather do dog assisted yoga than boring old just people yoga.

Just one of the reasons it is important to have your dogs inside ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Years ago my nephew was being deployed to Afghanistan, and he asked my father (his grandfather) if he would take his dog while he was gone. My father, who was a gruff, but kind, retired Army colonel, said sure. Now my father has lived with dogs, because we had dogs growing up, but he’s never taken care of a dog.

So my father told me that he was going to just keep him outside and he could go into the garden shed if it stormed. Yeah, right. I told him that dogs aren’t cows, and that the dog needed to come inside with him. He grumbled around, found that he loved having that dog around. And soon after, he installed a dog door in his house, lol. He would laugh about how I told him “dogs aren’t cows”.

When my nephew came back from Afghanistan, he didn’t get his dog back either. My father and that dog were pretty much inseparable, until my father died about a year and a half ago. The old dog is back with my nephew and his family, and is doing well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don’t think dogs living outside is wrong or cruel by itself. As long as they are well cared for and receive proper stimulation, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I think a lot times these days, when dogs are kept outside, there tends to be an assumption that they never get any interaction or stimulation, and that they spend their entire life trapped in a kennel or run. I keep my dogs inside, and always will probably, because I enjoy having them around me. There’s more to it than were they sleep though. A dog could sleep inside and be trapped in crate all day, only taken out to potty. You could pick just about anything involving a dog, and find a large group of people outraged by it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The problem IS too many dogs that "live outside exclusively" DON'T actually have the correct shelter, shade, food and water and get love and affection and exercise daily. That's not the norm of the outside dogs I've seen in my area. My GSD's are inside/outside dogs. They are outside with a huge covered porch and fenced yard during the day if the weather is nice but in for a while during the day, all evening and all night. If it's hot like today they are in most of the day after their morning exercise. Also if it's very cold or wet they are in a lot as well. There is no way they would get the quality time they get with me now if there were exclusively outside dogs and they deserve the time, after all they are GSDs. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
Interesting question and very brave considering the venue! My dogs and I are rarely separated. They are unsettled if they can't be near me as I am when I'm not near them so to reduce stress on them I would not separate them from me on a daily basis. Also I live in the wilds of the Appalachian mountains so would fear for their safety if they lived outside. My dogs are literally like children to me and because I understand the myriad of dangers they may encounter better than they do I couldn't leave them on their own outside. The flipside is that I believe dogs should be allowed to be dogs so they take up a lot of my time making sure they have plenty of outside time.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Interesting question and very brave considering the venue! My dogs and I are rarely separated. They are unsettled if they can't be near me as I am when I'm not near them so to reduce stress on them I would not separate them from me on a daily basis. Also I live in the wilds of the Appalachian mountains so would fear for their safety if they lived outside. My dogs are literally like children to me and because I understand the myriad of dangers they may encounter better than they do I couldn't leave them on their own outside. The flipside is that I believe dogs should be allowed to be dogs so they take up a lot of my time making sure they have plenty of outside time.
Yes. I think if dogs stay in a lot, they should definitely get the experience to be outside and be a dog and vice versa, if a dog stays outside majority of the time, they need extra love and attention. & I understand that! My friend lives right next to a national park and she’s surrounded by mountains. her dogs and cat stay out during the day, but stay in at night because of coyotes!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Personally, yes, I think pet dogs should be indoors with their families. I did intake and fostering for a rescue, and if someone planned to keep the dog outside, they went no further in the adoption process. German Shepherds are social and want to be near their owners. Working dogs (not working line, but dogs that are working on a farm, for example), can learn to be outside or in a barn or kennel. I think it also depends on where you live. If you have acreage, it might work. If you keep a German Shepherd outdoors all day in a small yard and it’s ignored, it may end up jumping the fence and running off. I got a rescue once because he was an outdoor dog and kept escaping the yard. Once I got him, I couldn’t get him to go outside alone. He hated it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
The question comes to mind "why do you want a dog if it spends its time outside and not with the rest of the pack?" - dogs are pack animals.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
So much depends on the situation, and the dog. I have some not-so-fond memories of trying to get a malamute to come inside when a major snowstorm was raging outside!

Then there's my youngest GSD who doesn't have a very heavy coat. On cold mornings, she hurries to do her business, then is back up on the porch, begging to come in soon afterwards. She doesn't much like the rain, either.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Is it cruel to keep a dog outside?
My Malamute, like Sunsilvers, would happily sprawl on top of her house in raging blizzards in spite of my frantic, shivering pleas for her to come inside. My Dane would not go outside without mad prodding if it was overcast or windy. My Yorkie was happy to play in the snow with me but knew when enough was enough. My Grams Newf would stretch out for some sunbathing in the snow. We had farm dogs who never came inside, we had a hound that would break out of the house.
So, if a dog is able, acclimated and has a job to do then no. If a pet dog is kept outside purely for it's owners convenience then yes. Frankly I have yet to meet a pet owner who is willing to spend the necessary time to keep a pet dog fulfilled while it is living outside and I see no unselfish point in keeping a pet dog outside. I also never placed a dog with an adopter who wanted an outside dog.
As I said earlier I live in Canada. I don't care who you are no one is spending hours outside in -30 to play with their dog.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Sled dogs don't have a choice. Most are chained to a dog house in wintery conditions. Sure they may have straw and curl up in a ball. How would they keep each other warm being individually chained? They are physically cared for but I wonder what their own choice would be....

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
honestly a long time ago all of my big dogs stayed outside because i feel like it was normal to have big dogs outside and small dogs inside. of course all of my dogs got attention and was cared for, but i’ve never thought about what the big dogs felt. my mom has a toy poodle so he stays in majority of the, he goes in our fenced in front yard to potty
you have an interesting out look on that! my moms toy poodle stays in majority of the time and my big dog a could ca
The problem IS too many dogs that "live outside exclusively" DON'T actually have the correct shelter, shade, food and water and get love and affection and exercise daily. That's not the norm of the outside dogs I've seen in my area. My GSD's are inside/outside dogs. They are outside with a huge covered porch and fenced yard during the day if the weather is nice but in for a while during the day, all evening and all night. If it's hot like today they are in most of the day after their morning exercise. Also if it's very cold or wet they are in a lot as well. There is no way they would get the quality time they get with me now if there were exclusively outside dogs and they deserve the time, after all they are GSDs. :)
The question comes to mind "why do you want a dog if it spends its time outside and not with the rest of the pack?" - dogs are pack animals.
my dogs come in and out as they please and are always together! my question was based off of a comment i read. i understand why people want their dogs in and why some keep them outside, depending on the situation of course.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
my dogs come in and out as they please and are always together! my question was based off of a comment i read. i understand why people want their dogs in and why some keep them outside, depending on the situation of course.
There are way to many “outside“ dogs in my neck of the woods that live their lives in small yards all alone. Throw them some food and water, and go back in the house. I hear “oh he gets too excited if I let him in, so he has to stay outside”. Idiots.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts