German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So you really aren't interested in opinions, you just want to argue. I'm good with that but the mods close threads unless we're polite.
Your dogs could seem more alert outside because they are insecure in their surroundings. My protection dogs didn't usually waste much energy barking, and the dog that I least expected to protect me jumped over me to bite the stranger that walked into my room. She didn't waste much energy barking either.
As I said I live where it's cold. Dogs outside here spend lots of time alone come winter. Not my thing.
I don’t have the energy to argue. My dogs just sleep so sound when they’re in my bed and they’ve also never been put in a situation to protect me when they’re inside. They’ve protected my property and myself a many of times while outside though! My female is all bark, but my male is all bite. I’ve always wanted to get him trained bc I know he has the drive in him, and I have really good control over him, but when Im not around he will tear someone up only when they come onto “his” property of course. I’m always with them so I can monitor the situation and his “out” and “recall” is amazing, so that always comes in handy! I’ve always wonder how they would react if a stranger came into my house in the middle of the night, though!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I don’t have the energy to argue. My dogs just sleep so sound when they’re in my bed and they’ve also never been put in a situation to protect me when they’re inside. They’ve protected my property and myself a many of times while outside though! My female is all bark, but my male is all bite. I’ve always wanted to get him trained bc I know he has the drive in him, and I have really good control over him, but when Im not around he will tear someone up only when they come onto “his” property of course. I’m always with them so I can monitor the situation and his “out” and “recall” is amazing, so that always comes in handy! I’ve always wonder how they would react if a stranger came into my house in the middle of the night, though!
I thought Shadow would hide behind me and bark, turns out she is really not ok with 2am intrusions.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought Shadow would hide behind me and bark, turns out she is really not ok with 2am intrusions.
That’s awesome! The reason I brought up that majority of dogs don’t really protect is because I watched a video where an “intruder” would “break in” and the owners would see if their dogs would protect their house. all dogs failed and the trainers were talking about it 😂 but it’s rare when you have a dog with no training who will go after someone. i’ve seen it happen, though!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think it depends on the dog...and sometimes breed. I had huskies growing up. They preferred being outside. I think if you have a livestock guarding breed whose job it is to protect a flock, fine.

But, IMNSHO, a German Shepherd thrives on being with its pack. To keep my GSD outside, would be cruel. He doesn’t want to be away from me.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I mean, when they have a choice my dogs want to be with me 100%. And honestly the feeling mutual.

Is it cruel, not if that is what they are used to and they get sufficient exercise, companionship etc-- you spend time with them every day.

IF they've always been house dogs and then get banished, I would think that would be rough. If they grow up as kennel dogs maybe it's better, they don't know what they are missing? I don't begrudge people who keep dogs in kennels if they are providing adequate space, shelter, cleanliness, exercise, mental stimulation and companionship. Being bonded to another dog and having another dog as company could make it more humane. For such a social animal to be totally alone for most of every day, I don't know about that.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I think it depends on the dog...and sometimes breed. I had huskies growing up. They preferred being outside. I think if you have a livestock guarding breed whose job it is to protect a flock, fine.

But, IMNSHO, a German Shepherd thrives on being with its pack. To keep my GSD outside, would be cruel. He doesn’t want to be away from me.
Our malamute was the same, definitely preferred outside, he had to be made to stay indoors which he tolerated, but given the chance he was out that door. No cushy beds either, he'd sleep in the snow (or under it) if you'd let him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
I can live with a chewed up couch or something but I can’t live with my dog sleeping outside his entire life. If I had a whole pack of 5 or more then I’d make them a nice kennel outside to sleep in but one dog I’d keep inside

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've had dogs who were out 90% of the day (weather permitting) but inside at night 100% of the time. The current ones like porch sitting this time of year but much prefer to be wherever I am and just wish that I prefer to be out more!

Then again, none of my dogs (all German Shepherds) ever had an inside dog bed until the last one (yeah they love them now)

However, I think people who let GSD's on their own bed are crazy but what do I know?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I had the pleasure of living with a bunch of stray dogs when I was young. They, and I, were outside 100% of the time. We had old sheds and cars that we slept in at night.
I am near 50 and still find comfort in sleeping in a pile of dogs. I do prefer them clean though. So yes, my dogs sleep inside and on my bed if they choose.
But to the topic at hand, all of those dogs were outside dogs and I would guess that any of them would have preferred inside if it meant that they could have had a person to love. I can guarantee that me and my opposable thumbs that could open doors and windows were a very welcome addition to the pack and the dogs were more then happy to follow me into whatever shelter I procured for the night.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
My opinion on this topic cannot be simplified to only an issue of indoor or outdoor... everyone’s situation is unique and their dogs are individuals. What I will say is that there are good, responsible owners... and there are bad ones.

My #1 priority is that my dogs are safe and that they’re adaptable. When home... they’re inside, with me, and yes, sleep in my bed. At my dads (where they’ve stayed for up to 3 weeks), they are 100% outdoors... in the big yard during the day and in a dog run at night. At my grandmothers, they stay in the garage with access to a side yard via a dog door. When I board them at my job, they stay in a kennel. We’ve slept in tents... we’ve slept in cars.... right now Keys is on a 20ft line in front of my house.

They’ve done great in all these situations and I honestly believe, are better because of it.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
our dogs are substitute children. Enough said....
I've had dogs who were out 90% of the day (weather permitting) but inside at night 100% of the time. The current ones like porch sitting this time of year but much prefer to be wherever I am and just wish that I prefer to be out more!

Then again, none of my dogs (all German Shepherds) ever had an inside dog bed until the last one (yeah they love them now)

However, I think people who let GSD's on their own bed are crazy but what do I know?
Yeah. When I was younger, my dogs weren’t allowed on my bed because of all the hair. I’m much older now and let them when they want, but they rather sleep on their Tempur-pedic beds 😂

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My opinion on this topic cannot be simplified to only an indoor or outdoor issue... everyone’s situation is unique and their dogs are individuals. What I will say is that there are good, responsible owners... and there are bad ones.

My #1 priority is that my dogs are safe and that they’re adaptable. When home... they’re inside, with me, and yes, sleep in my bed. At my dads (where they’ve stayed for up to 3 weeks), they are 100% outdoors... in the big yard during the day and in a dog run at night. At my grandmothers, they stay in the garage with access to a side yard via a dog door. When I board them at my job, they stay in a kennel. We’ve slept in tents... we’ve slept in cars.... right now Keys is on a 20ft line in front of my house.

They’ve done great in all these situations and I honestly believe, are better because of it.
Yes! Mine are inside outside depending on the day/night. Sometimes my dogs rather stay out in their kennels especially when it’s cooler. They tend to get too hot in my house sometimes. They love their kennels! It’s off the ground so no mud, it has heavy duty tarps around 2 sides in case of rain and has a roof, plus they have their favorite toys/bones and of course food and clean water. They don’t mind staying in their kennels at all. When they were younger, I would always give them a treat when they went into their kennels. I made it their own lil happy, safe space. They know I always let them out when they stay in there so when i put them up, they could care less 😂 i do the most for my dogs whether they stay in or outside. it would obviously be so different if i kept them locked up 24/7, with little to no attention, now that’s cruel.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had the pleasure of living with a bunch of stray dogs when I was young. They, and I, were outside 100% of the time. We had old sheds and cars that we slept in at night.
I am near 50 and still find comfort in sleeping in a pile of dogs. I do prefer them clean though. So yes, my dogs sleep inside and on my bed if they choose.
But to the topic at hand, all of those dogs were outside dogs and I would guess that any of them would have preferred inside if it meant that they could have had a person to love. I can guarantee that me and my opposable thumbs that could open doors and windows were a very welcome addition to the pack and the dogs were more then happy to follow me into whatever shelter I procured for the night.
Aww I love that! Strays can become the most loving babies. My dogs are inside/outside. Sometimes when I’m going inside for the night they either come with me or go to their kennel, they choose where they wanna sleep 😂 My topic was based off a comment i read which said something like “people who let their dogs sleep/stay outside are cruel and shouldn’t have a dog”, that’s it. She said nothing about a proper shelter or anything. I don’t know what she was actually meaning, but I thought it was interesting. My brother used to have a shepherd that refused to stay inside. She was content sleeping on the porch on her bed. He had a doggy door and everything incase she ever wanted to come inside and his kids used it more than the dog did 😂

·
Registered
291 Posts
Growing up, the dogs were 100% outside. They had a large compound and a converted garden shed with sleeping benches.

When I just have a single dog, then it is outside during the day in a sheltered run and inside during the evenings.

My current dog, is outside in a large run but comes inside, when I return from work. At night she sleeps in my bedroom, where she has her crate but often or not will jump on to my bed for a few hours before going back in to her crate.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
everyone’s situation is different! my dogs stay in their kennels when i’m not home. as long as the dog has proper shelter, food/water, gets love and affection, and gets proper exercise outside of the kennel, I don’t see no harm in it!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think it depends on the dog, a lot of dogs left outside, or even dogs left out in backyards but let inside do not get all that they need.

Some dogs are miserable being outside without their owners. My girl Codi got to be an outside dog for awhile after getting skunked and she hated it with a passion. She'd rather be kenneled inside than left outside. Our GSD wasn't treated well in her previous home and was an outside dog 24/7. She was out in the country with plenty of land to roam and other dogs to be around but she spent the majority of her time laying in front of or next to the door of the people's house hoping to be let inside. She also doesn't bark to alert if she's outside, only inside the home and she hears somebody come up the driveway.

We had two outside dogs when I was younger and tried to bring them inside. The one started marking all over on everything, so we scrapped that idea. I had to literally drag the other outside because she didn't want to leave the house. I do feel bad for that but I was just a kid at the time, it wasn't my choice.

Some dog are fine being outside dogs, I don't think it's cruel in general I know plenty of ranch dogs happy with their life. But for a lot of dogs it can be cruel in a sense when we've bred these dogs to crave human companionship and then we deprive them of that in the easiest way to give it, by just letting them be near us.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
In some places dogs are eaten, so no it’s not cruel. But I definitely prefer my dog inside.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts