German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do some people actually think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside? That blows my mind. If the dog has the correct shelter, shade, food and water and gets love and affection and exercise daily, what’s the problem!!?!?
Some people think dogs shouldn't wear collars and should sleep in the beds with the owners. Some people think it's okay to kill them right at the dog market and cook them in parts.

Some people would happily risk their dog's life to protect their stuff, other people would step in front of a bad guy to protect their dog.

There's a range.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You have your opinion, I have mine. Others have theirs.
I live in Canada. Ain't no one hanging outside when it's -30. Easier to keep the dog inside.
Seriously though, my dog sleeps on my bed. I have had upwards of 20 dogs at a time, they all lived inside. I am a bit baffled as to how the dog is supposed to protect the house, or me, if it's penned up outside.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
In years past my family had numerous dogs that lived long and happy lives without ever seeing the inside of a house!

And they weren't penned outside either, so yeah, bad guy beware LOL!

And, while I personally wouldn't leave a dog outside in -30 degree weather, sled dogs in Alaska do it all the time! They have houses with straw, or other dogs to help them stay warm, but they do stay outside...

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
In years past my family had numerous dogs that lived long and happy lives without ever seeing the inside of a house!

And, while I personally wouldn't leave a dog outside in -30 degree weather, sled dogs in Alaska do it all the time! They have houses with straw, or other dogs to help them stay warm, but they do stay outside...
Lol, Tim your age is showing. We had dogs on the farm that never saw the inside of a house. Not sure about the long happy lives though. I was young, but I vividly recall burying the carcasses.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
“Dogs are highly social animals and are well adapted to living in groups. Studies have also shown that they are very good at interpreting human gestures and behavior“.

Isn‘t this the essence of keeping our dogs? Unless multiple dogs are kept outside and for a very specific reason, there’s not a chance in h... that all your dog’s needs are being met.

My bride could hang all of my family’s clothes on a line, strung between two trees, to dry, but I’d like to think we’ve gotten beyond the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

If you’re keeping a single dog outside, without knowing all of your reasons and degree of husbandry, yes, it’s cruel .... as well as a whole host of other things.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I agree with you. My dogs are inside/outside dogs. Some days they stay in and some they stay out in their kennel. My dogs stay in majority of the winter, but they rather be outside!! I love them with all of my heart, but at the end of the day they’re dogs and can deal with staying outside. I saw a post where someone said it’s cruel to keep a dog outside and that you shouldn’t own a dog if you’re gonna keep it outside, so i thought i would ask.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some people think dogs shouldn't wear collars and should sleep in the beds with the owners. Some people think it's okay to kill them right at the dog market and cook them in parts.

Some people would happily risk their dog's life to protect their stuff, other people would step in front of a bad guy to protect their dog.

There's a range.
my dogs stay in with me and sleep on my bed, and sometimes they wanna stay out bc they get too hot in my house! but yeah, everyone has their own opinion lol

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
“Dogs are highly social animals and are well adapted to living in groups. Studies have also shown that they are very good at interpreting human gestures and behavior“.

Isn‘t this the essence of keeping our dogs? Unless multiple dogs are kept outside and for a very specific reason, there’s not a chance in h... that all your dog’s needs are being met.

My bride could hang all of my family’s clothes on a line, strung between two trees, to dry, but I’d like to think we’ve gotten beyond the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

If you’re keeping a single dog outside, without knowing all of your reasons and degree of husbandry, yes, it’s cruel .... as well as a whole host of other things.
My dogs come in and out of my house as they please. I just don’t let them run at night outside because I live next to a train and a road. To each their own!

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
I want my dogs inside with me.Well,some days when I'm really really tired of everything covered with fur (TODAY!!).....
It really depends on the circumstances.Farm dogs,livestock guardians,ratters are content to live outside.A pet tied out to a doghouse 24/7 is a cruelty.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have your opinion, I have mine. Others have theirs.
I live in Canada. Ain't no one hanging outside when it's -30. Easier to keep the dog inside.
Seriously though, my dog sleeps on my bed. I have had upwards of 20 dogs at a time, they all lived inside. I am a bit baffled as to how the dog is supposed to protect the house, or me, if it's penned up outside.
Its nothing to get baffled over. And majority of dogs don’t have it in them to actually protect like a trained protection dog. They bark and growl at the most. Some do, though. My dogs are more alert and protective outside than when they’re inside.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want my dogs inside with me.Well,some days when I'm really really tired of everything covered with fur (TODAY!!).....
It really depends on the circumstances.Farm dogs,livestock guardians,ratters are content to live outside.A pet tied out to a doghouse 24/7 is a cruelty.
I love for my dogs to stay in with me too! And yeah the fur gets overwhelming sometimes. When I do a deep clean, I don’t allow them on my bed at first bc i just wanna enjoy clean, fur free sheets, which doesn’t last long. And yeah I know several cow dogs that rather stay outside than inside. I agree that is cruel! It’s different when the dog is let off the chain most of the day and played with, but when people leave poor dogs on a chain 24/7 with little interaction is terrible. Someone who lives near me has the tiniest kennel for a big dog, the dog isn’t even on a run so it can’t even go in or out as it pleases, it’s just stuck in that tiny kennel and the grass is always high and the poor dog just stays in it doghouse 24/7. Now that’s cruel.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Can be highly social but not necessarily a pack animal.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Your post was - Is it cruel for dogs to live outside? You didn’t add a modifier like - sometimes or ... they can come in and out as they please... That’s a completely different post.

I apologize for answering the post exactly as you had written it and will strive to read your mind better next time. 🙄

I have four GSD’s who love and thrive being outside, but are inside equally.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Its nothing to get baffled over. And majority of dogs don’t have it in them to actually protect like a trained protection dog. They bark and growl at the most. Some do, though. My dogs are more alert and protective outside than when they’re inside.
So you really aren't interested in opinions, you just want to argue. I'm good with that but the mods close threads unless we're polite.
Your dogs could seem more alert outside because they are insecure in their surroundings. My protection dogs didn't usually waste much energy barking, and the dog that I least expected to protect me jumped over me to bite the stranger that walked into my room. She didn't waste much energy barking either.
As I said I live where it's cold. Dogs outside here spend lots of time alone come winter. Not my thing.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your post was - Is it ok for dogs to live outside? You didn’t add a modifier like - sometimes or ... they can come in and out as they please... That’s a completely different post.

I apologize for answering the post exactly as you had written it and will strive to read your mind better next time. 🙄

I have four GSD’s who love and thrive being outside, but are inside equally.
I just wanted to know if there’s people in the world who for real think it’s cruel for a dog to live outside. I just added that my dogs come in and out as they please lol but it’s cool, i forgive you for not reading my mind.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts