German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning all,
In between repairing/sharpening items for customers this morning I got to thinking that I may need to have an egg substitute developed for treats, just in case I need to make an egg free whatever.

A veggie/vegan friend of mine uses arrowroot powder and water mixed to substitute for eggs in recipes. I think she said its like 1tsp arrowroot powder to 1 tbsp h2o. She said it doesn't produce as much of a leavening effect, but I don't need it too so its irrelevant, and that its realy only a good thickener/binder.

any thoughts on using arrowroot powder mixes as an egg sub for dogs??
thanks,
-c

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
They only thing I know about arrow root is that its a thickner

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
It can be used in dogs for cases of diarrhea, but I would consult a holistic vet that specializes in herbs for dogs.

AFAIK there arent any dangerous factors for people or pets. But I will keep looking.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eggs aren't bad for dogs. my vet told me that in small amounts (what I use in treat making) the protein helps the coat a bit.

I do know of a dog or two that are allergic to eggs though and thats why I was wondering if arrowroot is an acceptable substitute.

I looked quite a bit and found info on, as GSDolch said, arrowroot as a stomach soother for upset tummies. I haven't found any thing to indicate that it could be bad for dogs, but I'm wondering about something.

If it helps solidify poops would a dog eating it on the regular in treat contribute to maybe over solidifying poops...maybe leading some kind of impaction or blockage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts