German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it was an easy winter and all that, warm, and lots of nice days, but here in NE Ohio, there has been a LOT of water. H2O + warm ground = MUD.

Yesterday, I had my dad meet me at TSC, and I bought 42 big blocks of cedar chips. I followed him at 30mph to my house and then unloaded most of them into my dead Ford Explorer. Still, 12 of them had to sit in my driveway.

It rained again! Ok, so this morning, while it was snowing, I got out there and put 12 into Cujo and Hepsi's area, 6 into Heidi's, 6 into Milla's, 2 into each of the in/outs which are concrete, but both of the outdoor areas are kind of small, so the wood chips help keep them until I clean them every day. And then I went out front and put 12 into Oscar and Odie's kennel. Not enough. I put two more in there.

It is not just cold, it is 26 degrees out there, but it is damp, wet, and GLOOMY. I can handle snow, and I can handle rain, but when the day is GLOOMY I just want to die. Yes, I do have SAD -- Seasonal Affective Disorder. Most people have it where I live, probably because we have this gloomy weather ALL THE TIME! I mean, if the sun is out and shining, we think, "man, this ought to be a holiday, you don't get that many days like this."

My poor dogs. They tend to LOVE this weather. They rush back and forth and jump on the gates, splattering muddy yuck everywhere, and whoosh by with their tails splattering it, to rush down to the end of the field and tell everyone: "Hello, hello!!!! Hello! It's cold and crappy!!! Susie is in a bad mood again! Let's cheer her up! Let's jump on her and make her make those silly noises!!!"

I was able to use my hose this morning. It probably started out at 33 or 32 degrees and lowered in temperature while I was out there, because at some point the darn thing thawed and I was able to use it, but by the time I finished with Oscar and Odie's it was forming icicles on the nozzle and I had to switch the head so it would shoot out, instead of the normal shower. Whatever. It was 26 degrees when I passed the bank in Austinburg.

I am just so tired of the cold, wet, gloomy crap that is making my dogs all muddy, and yucky. I want to be thinking about when the grass is that pretty auburn color and the dogs can be taken anywhere without the full bath and brush routine. Instead, I am wondering if I order cedar chips from TSC on the internet, would they deliver them by the skid to my house? Because it's only the beginning of April, and this yuck isn't going anywhere any time soon.

·
Registered
326 Posts
About ordering from TSC online, I don't see why they wouldn't deliver chips to your house, I have had different things delivered to me.

The end of winter is a hard time for me too, I live in the south so springtime is here now but I sympathize with ya! Cleaning up muddy dogs and their mess in the house doesn't bother me as much in the summer as it does in the winter.

All I can say is hang in there, warmer weather is coming your way soon!

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
All I can say is DITTO Sue.It's the gloom that really keeps you down.It saps my energy:(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
On Saturday we hit all four seasons here. It went from cold and blizzard like conditions to bright and sunny, to rainy and repeat all day long. On Sunday it was 72 degrees and sunny. Absolutely crazy weather. Last week I put the patio furniture up, put mulch down and the cedar in the dog run, this week my patio umbrella blew across the yard.

I even took Brennan hiking and he jumped in and got a swim in on Sunday, people were everywhere fishing--a beautiful day and today it's 32 degrees...I put my flip flops on then the next day I need boots. Plants start blooming then they die. The dogs don't know if they are going to be in snow or sun--CRAZY

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It will be 86 degrees farenheit here today, and it's autumn. Bright, hot and sunny, and how I would love it to rain.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It will be 86 degrees farenheit here today, and it's autumn. Bright, hot and sunny, and how I would love it to rain.
Move to Ohio. Winter, Still Winter, Rain, and More Rain are our seasons. I don't think in the last 10 years we have gone a week without water of some form spewing from the heavens. Normally, we don't go 24 hours without rain, but if we don't get 3 rainless days in a row, it's too wet to mow. It's usually too wet to mow. That is, after all the flooding and saturation from the tons of melted snow goes away.

Yes, we had every form of YUCK on Saturday. Sunday started with some spitting snow, but the drive was dry when I set down the wood chips at 6pm. And it was a little warmer -- 36 degrees. There was snow on the roofs, but it was melting. I thought we would be up to say, 40 on Monday for all that work, Eh!!! Think again, Ohioan! Puke weather.

Still the best place in the world to live. Not sure why I think that. Probably because I have lived here all my life. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

ETA: The Spring grooming has begun. Babsy got her spring bath Saturday. Moofie will get his this Saturday, Dolly probably is next because she is molting.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I'm in North Indiana and it's cold and snow flurries. I was thinking just a week ago I could plant my garden. Good thing I decided to wait a few weeks. I'm over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts