German Shepherds Forum banner

Is an outdoor kennel essential ?

2K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Lexie’s mom 
#1 ·
So I will be getting a WL pup...let's say sometime within the next year.
Really depends when the breeder finds the right female for me.
I have a big yard with a 6' wooden fence all around and a gate that I can lock.
I have had 2 gsd's previously but never had issues with digging.
Also with my first female many years ago - I bought into the spay at 6 mos because I didn't know better.
Not going to do that this time. I would spay after 2yrs or not at all unless medically needed.
So is it safer to get an outdoor kennel in case of digging or her attracting male dogs at that time ?
I live in the suburbs but still have some dummies who walk their dogs on the street with no leash.
The dog will be getting lots of exercise, outings and training.
Also I work from home.
So I was just thinking of a 10' X 10' kennel for example between exercise when I need to work for a couple of hours so that she can enjoy the outside ?
There is no situation where she would ever be in there for more than a couple of hours.
I will not be leaving her in during her puppy hood but I would probably just leave it open and get her accustomed to it.
Do you think this is overkill since I work from home and set my own hours and can get outside with her a lot anyways ?
I found this Dog kennel for sale | Accessories | Ottawa | Kijiji
if I can convince them to deliver to Ottawa. I drive a used Saturn Ion ! lol
Just trying to start getting everything she needs ahead of time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know, I'm the exception in that I don't own or have a crate, nor did I ever use baby gates to block off anything.

I just taught my pup household rules. It worked for me and my dog. Not saying it will or would work for all. But I do think people rely too heavily on tools, when they should be more focused on communication with their puppy!

Congratulations on the new puppy! I look forward to pictures when he/she arrives!

#3 ·
Thanks. To tell you the truth with both my first dogs I just used the really large wire kennels (2) indoors for when they were pups and I had to leave them alone ie.groceries. Once the chewing dangerous things stage was over I either just left kennels open all the time or stored them away.
Neither of them dug outdoors so it was a non issue.
I tend to agree about training. I could have left the gate wide open with my first girl and she would not have dreamed about leaving the property. Not that I would because of other peoples dogs.

#4 · (Edited)
Where this is coming from is that I was talking to someone who has worked with WL gsd's for many many yrs and she suggested an outdoor run for
1.safety from digging under the fence
2. to have a place to put the dog when guests come over.
Honestly I should have asked her to clarify the second point because I don't exactly know why I would or should need to put my dog outside when someone comes over ? My first girl was appropriately (not gushing) friendly. My boy I would put in my room or on the other side of a gate till guests got settled because he was way over excited super friendly.
For the new pup if I want to limit her introductions at first - I still have the two indoor kennels and a whole rec room downstairs that I am going to make into an indoor training area for those Ottawa winter days when it's minus 30 degrees.

Reactions: tim_s_adams
#5 ·
I have an intact male and female. We use their indoor kennels when we have people over who aren't comfortable with dogs and who are new to the house, sometimes my male will go in the garage when people are over and hang out, Olive is still earning her trust there.
We live on just under 1.5 acres completely treed but not fenced, neither of my dogs are diggers and after an incident we don't leave them unsupervised outdoors anymore however I will say that there are days were I wish we had a large outdoor run so I can put them outside while I'm cleaning so I don't have to kennel them but I'm still working on convincing my husband that it's a need not just a want.

#8 ·
Sigh... I wasn't planning to leave her outside unattended in heat unless she was in a VERY secure run since any male dog would have to dig under my fence then break into the run... but I will nix that idea.
Also she would never be left outside when I am not at home under any circumstances.
IF I did use a run it would only be for short periods and while I am at home.
I have never had a dog who has had heats and I was more thinking am I going to have any off leash (and in 4yrs here I have only seen 3) males trying to dig into my yard ?
Anyways thanks for the input.
I had already planned on keeping her on yard play with me while she is in heat.
I just thought it might be nice for her to be able to get some extra fresh air for an hour or two between exercise, outings, training, and play.

#7 · (Edited)
I have a whole floor downstairs with a door at the top of the stairs if people really have an issue.
Or in a big indoor kennel when she is a pup rather than leave her unattended if guests don't like her.
So I didn't really understand why it was suggested to put her out when I have company.
As for the yard when she grows up... are these WL gsd's more inclined to be escape artists ?
Neither of my neighbors on either side have dogs. Yay
She won't really ever be out alone for long.
Given my flexibility she will be a wonderful excuse for me to take multiple breaks outside ! Here is my setup.
Full wooden 5 - 6 foot fence on 3 sides and chainlink with lattice on the inside across the back for privacy.
I will also be going around and fixing any boards before the snow falls...and doing end of summer clean up. I estimate the yard at approx 70' X 30'(narrowest point) not including the asphalt side yard bit.
Property Yard Backyard Grass House

Property Backyard Land lot Tree Yard

Property Yard Backyard House Real estate

#11 ·
I use crates less than most. I do a little crate training early on do the dog isn't stressed in a crate. In 2 months, Valor has been in the crate, other than training, probably 8 times for a couple hours here and there. I allow more freedom in the house than most do as well. I tend to house proof the puppy, not puppy proof the house.

I find it handy to have a dog door into a secure run. It's only 32x35 but it's nice to not have to worry about letting dogs out. It's stoned, so there is no mud to worry about.

I find that the dogs like to hang out wherever we are located. If I shut them outside in a run, they would just want to come back in.

We do have another fenced patio for the humans where we can put the dogs if we wanted to segregate them from company. Typically, our friends are dog people and would be offended if they couldn't interact with the dogs.

#13 ·
I use crates less than most. I do a little crate training early on do the dog isn't stressed in a crate. In 2 months, Valor has been in the crate, other than training, probably 8 times for a couple hours here and there. I allow more freedom in the house than most do as well. I tend to house proof the puppy, not puppy proof the house.

I find it handy to have a dog door into a secure run. It's only 32x35 but it's nice to not have to worry about letting dogs out. It's stoned, so there is no mud to worry about.

I find that the dogs like to hang out wherever we are located. If I shut them outside in a run, they would just want to come back in.

We do have another fenced patio for the humans where we can put the dogs if we wanted to segregate them from company. Typically, our friends are dog people and would be offended if they couldn't interact with the dogs.
Pretty much where my instincts are going also.
Your secure run with dog door = my kitchen door to right into the fenced and locked yard.
For my Egan I just let him out the kitchen door to the yard with no issues. After 15 min he wanted back in with me.
I do need to crate a bit because I have no significant other so pup is alone if I go out but I plan to not excessively crate.
Thoughts on safety of the dog being in a fenced yard unattended (except when in heat) to go out and do biz and sniff when I am not actively doing something with her ? Flight risk from digging under fence or some other creative escape ?
House proof the puppy ?

#14 ·
I choose to spend the time training the puppy house rules instead of removing everything that the puppy isn't allowed to play with. I purposefully leave things around that the puppy needs to leave alone and train them to just play with their toys.

My dogs have 24/7 access to a fenced in run through the dog door. I haven't had any problems, but I don't have females in season either. There are no at large dogs in my neighborhood, barring the occasional escape.

#15 ·
In general, not necessary but nice. Bud had a dog run, but because he jumped fences not for any other reason.
Shadow is crated more then others because she climbs and is curious, I seldom use crates beyond house training normally although I will crate for example if guests are over. I don't like people screwing with my dogs.
An outdoor kennel is nice to have, mowing or yard work are quicker without help, but I would not call them essential and in this climate they can become something of a pain with snow and ice.

#21 · (Edited)
In general, not necessary but nice. Bud had a dog run, but because he jumped fences not for any other reason.
Shadow is crated more then others because she climbs and is curious, I seldom use crates beyond house training normally although I will crate for example if guests are over. I don't like people screwing with my dogs.
An outdoor kennel is nice to have, mowing or yard work are quicker without help, but I would not call them essential and in this climate they can become something of a pain with snow and ice.
Omg...so true. My Egan used to "help" with raking and snow shoveling which usually ended in a game of throw leaves/snow on the dog . lol
Yes, I was thinking about the climate also because I have no way to have a dog door open directly to an outdoor kennel. I would have to shovel my way all the way to the backyard...then try and unfreeze the gate to the kennel.
I am Canadian ! lol

Reactions: Sabis mom
#16 ·
That 5' picket fence in your pictures would be a like hopping over a sidewalk crack for either of my males....as you said, never leave your girl outside in heat even for a second.

I have a 150 X 250 foot heavily treed lot with 5 acres of bush behind. My previous girl were able to be outside off leash for many hours of the day if they wanted to be and never left the property But with COVID, there's more people out and about and walking dogs than I have ever seen before and with the current 2 intact males, that freedom is lost.

#17 ·
my previous female GSD jumped my 6 ft. privacy fence TWICE when she was in heat and ran the neighborhood.
Now granted she was a rescue and was too think to spay right away but normally she was a very quiet, well mannered dog, til she came in heat.
So I'd say be careful with the fence you have, it would nOT contain either of my females if they wanted out.

#18 ·
I have a magnet on my fridge that says
"If my dog doesn't like you neither do I"
and it's funny because it's true: dogs are an excellent judge of character.

If people aren't dog people, chances are we're not great friends but in any event, my dogs are out when people come over and they're generally aloof but friendly to all once accepted on the property or in the house.

We had a baby shower here yesterday with ~20 people and the dogs were on the deck with everyone the few times I was out there and extremely well behaved.

#20 ·
I guess I was just lucky (or something) because my previous female never went further than a certain distance even if I wasn't in sight and my male totally respected barriers like gates or fences.
Interesting to hear others experiences.

#22 ·
To be honest I am not super thrilled with the left side fence either unfortunately there are a bunch of nasty cedar trees along that side and it would cost a lot to have them all removed and that whole side re fenced BUT I am very handy and 5 minutes from home depot ! Maybe just add on to the fence like this..ha ha !

#23 · (Edited)
Naaaah!

Raina was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago at almost exactly 1 year (Born 9/20/19).

Mammal Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Canidae

Pretty sure I know what I’m doing.

I won’t be breeding her. I won’t deal with two to three heat cycles / year and I like my hard wood floors and carpet as they are.

Fences can be suspect with an altered or unaltered dog.

You seem like you’re on the right track and after Egan’s passing, it’s good to see quality owners like you in search of another.

I can’t speak to owning an unaltered dog, but just make sure your fence has integrity, particularly at ground level (no rot) and with your diligence, you oughta be fine.

Best of luck w the new acquisition, once you find her.

#24 ·
Naaaah!

Raina was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago at almost exactly 1 year (Born 9/20/19).

View attachment 563370

Pretty sure I know what I’m doing.

I won’t be breeding her. I won’t deal with two to three heat cycles / year and I like my hard wood floors and carpet as they are.

Fences can be suspect with an altered or unaltered dog.

You seem like you’re on the right track and after Egan’s passing, it’s good to see quality owners like you in search of another.

I can’t speak to owning an unaltered dog, but just make sure your fence has integrity, particularly at ground level (no rot) and with your diligence, you oughta be fine.

Best of luck w the new acquisition, once you find her.
Thank you. I will be going around and securing/fixing anything that needs to be done.
I dunno, I read a lot of posts about others dogs jumping fences/digging under.... so I was a little worried that the 5' fence along the left was too low.
I never had that problem with either my female or male... maybe just lucky or maybe doing something right or a combo pack. But both were spayed/neutered.
As for my new family member... I have the breeder picked. We have talked extensively. Now I just need to be patient and wait for the right girl !:)

#29 · (Edited)
Dogs are never ever out, if we are not home.

We also can view them on home security cameras, so we always know where they are.

Even if I’m out and my bride and children are home, I’ll view my cameras on one of my devices, just to check in on them.

I prefer that any visitor entering my driveway or either side of my home is forced to look at this:

Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

#31 ·
We have both front and back yard fenced, 5 feet chain link. So far thank goodness no problems with any females that we had. Right now Lex is about 14m.o, Fozz is almost 6 y.o. Prior to that we had a Dane, a Newfy, and 3 shar pei, all females, all intact for many years. No problems other than kids when they were little and didn’t know any better once in a while forgetting to close the gate. Nobody got lost or got into any trouble anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.