German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
In general, not necessary but nice. Bud had a dog run, but because he jumped fences not for any other reason.
Shadow is crated more then others because she climbs and is curious, I seldom use crates beyond house training normally although I will crate for example if guests are over. I don't like people screwing with my dogs.
An outdoor kennel is nice to have, mowing or yard work are quicker without help, but I would not call them essential and in this climate they can become something of a pain with snow and ice.
Omg...so true. My Egan used to "help" with raking and snow shoveling which usually ended in a game of throw leaves/snow on the dog . lol
Yes, I was thinking about the climate also because I have no way to have a dog door open directly to an outdoor kennel. I would have to shovel my way all the way to the backyard...then try and unfreeze the gate to the kennel.
I am Canadian ! lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To be honest I am not super thrilled with the left side fence either unfortunately there are a bunch of nasty cedar trees along that side and it would cost a lot to have them all removed and that whole side re fenced BUT I am very handy and 5 minutes from home depot ! Maybe just add on to the fence like this..ha ha !

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Naaaah!

Raina was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago at almost exactly 1 year (Born 9/20/19).

2B55C292-8E61-45A6-8437-0BD85DF890A9.png

Pretty sure I know what I’m doing.

I won’t be breeding her. I won’t deal with two to three heat cycles / year and I like my hard wood floors and carpet as they are.

Fences can be suspect with an altered or unaltered dog.

You seem like you’re on the right track and after Egan’s passing, it’s good to see quality owners like you in search of another.

I can’t speak to owning an unaltered dog, but just make sure your fence has integrity, particularly at ground level (no rot) and with your diligence, you oughta be fine.

Best of luck w the new acquisition, once you find her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Naaaah!

Raina was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago at almost exactly 1 year (Born 9/20/19).

View attachment 563370

Pretty sure I know what I’m doing.

I won’t be breeding her. I won’t deal with two to three heat cycles / year and I like my hard wood floors and carpet as they are.

Fences can be suspect with an altered or unaltered dog.

You seem like you’re on the right track and after Egan’s passing, it’s good to see quality owners like you in search of another.

I can’t speak to owning an unaltered dog, but just make sure your fence has integrity, particularly at ground level (no rot) and with your diligence, you oughta be fine.

Best of luck w the new acquisition, once you find her.
Thank you. I will be going around and securing/fixing anything that needs to be done.
I dunno, I read a lot of posts about others dogs jumping fences/digging under.... so I was a little worried that the 5' fence along the left was too low.
I never had that problem with either my female or male... maybe just lucky or maybe doing something right or a combo pack. But both were spayed/neutered.
As for my new family member... I have the breeder picked. We have talked extensively. Now I just need to be patient and wait for the right girl !:)

·
Super Moderator
3,557 Posts
Thank you. I will be going around and securing/fixing anything that needs to be done.
I dunno, I read a lot of posts about others dogs jumping fences/digging under.... so I was a little worried that the 5' fence along the left was too low.
I never had that problem with either my female or male... maybe just lucky or maybe doing something right or a combo pack. But both were spayed/neutered.
As for my new family member... I have the breeder picked. We have talked extensively. Now I just need to be patient and wait for the right girl !:)
Did you have a particular litter in mind?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Did you have a particular litter in mind?
The short answer is I am not sure how this is going to play out. My favorites after talking to Sheena are actually Jadzea and Nog...but the two litters posted on the site are all spoken for.
There is one upcoming with Jill (high drive) and Gus (high drive) . Not sure if that's a good fit.
The discussion was left at Sheena saying "don't worry-she would find the right pup for me"

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Agreed.

I’ve had a bunch of GSD’s and not one expressed and interest in digging under a fence to get out of the yard.

Not saying some digging, in general, hasn’t occurred, 🙄 but nothing to escape.

I’ve got a black, 5” spaced, rail see through fence surrounding my entire back. It’s about 5’6” tall. You can see it clearly in my Avatar. Anyway, I know my dogs skill sets and all three that I have now could jump it easily. The two young ones, I know, can do it from a sit. They just don’t express an interest.

Honestly, I think being able to see out back into the woods and forward out to the front stresses them less ‘cause they know what’s going on around them - rather than guessing what’s on the other side of a solid fence. I’ve had both type fences.

Anyway. The best compliment you can give your Egan is moving onto another, because he impressed you so much.

Well done and again congrats on the new girl, when she shows up!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I feel a lot more relaxed knowing my dog is secured in a kennel when I go out. May not be essential, but I like not having to think for a minute about what may be going on with them loose and me not home.
Dogs are never ever out, if we are not home.

We also can view them on home security cameras, so we always know where they are.

Even if I’m out and my bride and children are home, I’ll view my cameras on one of my devices, just to check in on them.

I prefer that any visitor entering my driveway or either side of my home is forced to look at this:

59798112-1CC6-446B-A43D-F1CBD76473DB.png

·
Registered
215 Posts
We have both front and back yard fenced, 5 feet chain link. So far thank goodness no problems with any females that we had. Right now Lex is about 14m.o, Fozz is almost 6 y.o. Prior to that we had a Dane, a Newfy, and 3 shar pei, all females, all intact for many years. No problems other than kids when they were little and didn’t know any better once in a while forgetting to close the gate. Nobody got lost or got into any trouble anyway.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts