German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys first post so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section or has been answered before.
i have been on the search for a dog breed for a while now. i chose a german shepherd specifically because of its obedience, intelligence, obedience, capabilities and of course its beauty.

after months of researching breeders in Australia i have finally found one i am happy to invest in. the waiting time on a pup is a year and since they are a reputable breeder i have already paid a half price deposit.

i have done much research on German shepherds however my main question is regarding the breeds physical endurance.
i run approximately 2miles(3km) a 4 days a week, and on the other 3 days i do a 6 mile(10km) bike ride. i understand that a young dog wont be able to do this sort of exercise. but is their any chance of a German shepherd joining me on my daily exercise in regards to speed and distance?
i would be shattered if i couldn't at least take it with me for the run.

thanks in advance,
Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't see any reason why your gsd couldn't go on runs with you if you smartly work him up to what your doing. When you first start running with him treat it as if he is a person starting a new running program who needs to slowly build up.
Running in the grass or other soft surfaces would be ideal.
I would avoid the bike rides with your gsd. That's a lot of miles on your gsd's joints

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Absolutely!!! I run 5k with my dogs and regularly bike 6-8 miles as well.

But you MUST wait until the pups growth plates have closed. It will be when they are over 18 months. So a while.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, im an outdoors guy, i regularly go hunting, rogaining, mountain climbing and the German shepherd breed seem like a perfect companion to bring along.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We do hiking and moutain biking all the time.i don't think it would be too much. My boy is now 16 months so this spring is going to be his first real biking season with us. We spend last summer teaching him rules , just couple miles every 3 days or so, by fall he could easylly run 6 miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They love the exercise and he will enjoy running with you so much!!!!
Just have to wait until those hips are fully developed....18 months at least, if not 2 years old before you do major running with him. You also don't want him jumping in and out of trucks or doing any major Frisbee catching jumping high in the air, etc, till those bones are solidly formed to cut down on your risk of dysplasia.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Between running with me and my husband, my GSD can log 60 miles a week. I usually try to make sure he gets one day a week "off" which just means he stays home if we run, but he will still get a few hours of ramming around outside.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Just like everyone else said, wait until about 2 years before you start logging serious miles. After that, the sky is the limit. We take our GSD on hikes and long walks all the time. He easily does three or four miles at a shot with little effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The distance you describe will be easy for a healthy GSD if you work up to it properly once the dog is of the appropriate age. Do some searching and you'll find a variety of opinions here about the appropriate age.

You questioned both speed and distance but didn't say how fast you bike. That may be an issue. I don't bike with my dog so I don't know. I do know that my last guy could go forever at 7-8 mph. Doubling that (on skates) would tire him within a mile or two but we didn't do it enough to really condition him for that.

My new pup is 13 months and we've taking easy runs for a while now. I expect to be averaging 20-25 miles per week by the upcoming fall and he'll be my marathon training partner for 2014.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts