German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
The sire in this case is 1 year old, not 10. Too young for official health clearances, too young for any real temperament/nerve/working ability testing. Might not be too young physically, but is too young ethically.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've heard from quite a few people in various working-dog sports that a sire loses his potency of passing on traits after around 7-8 years of age. I am not sure if this is purely anecdotal or based in biology and genetics.

I personally see some merit in this, just basic genetics, and would not choose to bred to an older stud (older than 8) or get a pup from one.

Bitches can be safely bred to even age 10, if they are healthy and have had litters before. In some ways, it is healthier for an intact bitch under around age 9 to have a litter than to not.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I've heard from quite a few people in various working-dog sports that a sire loses his potency of passing on traits after around 7-8 years of age. I am not sure if this is purely anecdotal or based in biology and genetics.

I personally see some merit in this, just basic genetics, and would not choose to bred to an older stud (older than 8) or get a pup from one.

Bitches can be safely bred to even age 10, if they are healthy and have had litters before. In some ways, it is healthier for an intact bitch under around age 9 to have a litter than to not.
I have a male sired by a 10+ year old dog(he'll be 13 on Valentines day). He passed on his traits just fine, and has with other litters as well. Every time the owner has a semen analysis, the vet is giddy with the potency of the sperm.
FWIW, he didn't sire many litters, and was at the age of 9 or 10 was when he was first bred. His most recent litter is from a fresh chilled(shipped to another state) and the pups are doing super.
I think breeding a bitch older than 8 is pushing it. I would question the reasoning for it by the breeder.
Here is a photo taken today of my 2 yr old male and his almost 13 yr old sire.

·
Registered
836 Posts
​SchH2 Sassy v Bullinger kk1 x Tsar v Wendelin

I think this is the breeding the OP is talking about
That's a weird breeding. Sassy is still listed under Bullinger as one of their females, and I highly, highly doubt they would cross to a working line male when they specialize hugely in WGSL. It's also not listed as one of their breedings, so I'm quite curious how this is going about.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's a weird breeding. Sassy is still listed under Bullinger as one of their females, and I highly, highly doubt they would cross to a working line male when they specialize hugely in WGSL. It's also not listed as one of their breedings, so I'm quite curious how this is going about.
It's listed on the website of the breeder that the OP mentioned.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts