German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
You can get a good wgsl puppy and not pay that amount. In my experience the price can range $2,600- $4,000 for a wgsl puppy. A puppy is no guarantee I would not pay in the higher range for a puppy. A lot depending on the size of the faculty most big commercial operations costs are reflected in the price, along with the amount of health testing, training cost/titles each dam and sire have. I have a dog from Hollow Hills incredible family dog social nice well rounded take anywhere dog. Other wgsl breeders would be Alta tollhaus, and Theishoff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just in case that was not enough info:

I was trained by a former RCMP dog handler.
I have seen several of their videos on youtube and they seem to be doing things very well. The brood dogs are in smaller decentralized situations and it seems like they turn out really great ones. I love seeing that as opposed to one large kennel with dogs that receive very little interaction.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I suggest you go to a shelter than! My 1st German shepherd was the amazing gypsy girl and I rescued her from a shelter where she had been living for 7 months! It cost me $50
I looked at a 14 week purebred GSD at a shelter just before COVID and I think adoption fees were about $500, not sure. He was a good looking pup that had been supposedly turned in by an older couple that forgot how much work a young puppy was....I've heard that one before, exactly the story with my previous dog but from a good breeder.

You have no idea what you're getting from a shelter but I think better odds with a mix from them.

PS there were 140+ applications to adopt the shelter GSD. They don't often get purebreds so had a lottery instead. Owners still had to pass an approval process

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I looked at a 14 week purebred GSD at a shelter just before COVID and I think adoption fees were about $500, not sure. He was a good looking pup that had been supposedly turned in by an older couple that forgot how much work a young puppy was....I've heard that one before, exactly the story with my previous dog but from a good breeder.

You have no idea what you're getting from a shelter but I think better odds with a mix from them.

PS there were 140+ applications to adopt the shelter GSD. They don't often get purebreds so had a lottery instead. Owners still had to pass an approval process
I found that too. Right before I bought my male puppy, I saw a female at the shelter that sounded perfect. Partially trained, purebred, excellent temperament. By the time I called the dog had been pulled by my least favorite rescue. When I checked with them, they were using the female to get donations (“With your financial help we can save more dogs just like this one.” even thought they rarely get one for the shelter. But worse, the dog was already promised before they even signed the paperwork. Another reason I dislike that rescue.)

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I found that too. Right before I bought my male puppy, I saw a female at the shelter that sounded perfect. Partially trained, purebred, excellent temperament. By the time I called the dog had been pulled by my least favorite rescue. When I checked with them, they were using the female to get donations (“With your financial help we can save more dogs just like this one.” even thought they rarely get one for the shelter. But worse, the dog was already promised before they even signed the paperwork. Another reason I dislike that rescue.)
A lot of shelters don't put some types of purebreds up for adoption, saving them all for rescues.

Reactions: LuvShepherds

·
Registered
113 Posts

One thing to always take into account is that purebred does not mean well bred!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Males are the easiest to find and reserve. The reason for the high price is the WG imports are being inflated by greed (in europe) as well as shipping expense. Being a good and responsible breeder today is expensive and had work. A hobby breeder has not likely been to concerned about genetics. However, Europeans have no issue breeding borderline hips. I am weeding out kennels/breeders myself and am finding that quite a few are arrogant and think they command the world of German Shepherd Dogs. If I could find a good breeding for $4000, I would take it but I haven't found one that clicked. Breeders will throw a lot of facts out like they know everything. A lot is B. S. and you can't believe what they say. If a breeder has a genetic warranty that is only for a year or two, they don't have a lot of faith in the breeding IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven’t been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don’t want to mention the breeder because i don’t want this topic to get totally derailed.
I would suggest that you adopt an adult german shepherd. Check your area for rescues. Why pay $4500 for a puppy that may not grow into the dog you want? Nothing wrong with shelter dogs. Imagine meeting 5 or more dogs in an afternoon or two.
Would you pay $5000 for a jacket you won't be wearing? Don't pay $5000 for a show dog you won't be showing.

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
A showline is a line you do not have to want to show to want to get a showline. A reputable Shelter/ rescue dogs can be good option if wanting an older dog and looking to adopt. I would imagine it be more challenging to find puppies at rescues but can happens. I was never a puppy person but became since having young kids I opted to go that route. AN old story about a man adopted a dog and the dog wound saving his life. Hero Dog Saves Elderly Novato Man From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Suggest you get an adoption. Mine is awesome. 3-7yrs old is a good start to find. 5K is just outrageous. At those prices I would not think about any dog.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
It may be very difficult to adopt a dog right now. I checked the available dogs list at the rescue I used in the past, and they have less than half the number of dogs they usually do. I looked at several rescues and all are short of adoptable dogs. One said right on the page that the dogs they have must be the only dog in the home and have not yet been adopted because they are not good with other dogs. I looked at another breed and their large rescue had 7 dogs. Unless you want to adopt a problem, be very careful about any adoptions right now. I am guessing when we open up again a lot of the Covid puppies and adopted dogs are going to land right back in rescue again.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Yes a lot of adoptions when this CoVid-19 is over. People are impulse buying puppies like mad in Europe due they are at home working at the moment. When this is over I guess a lot of stranded dogs.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts