German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
No they don鈥檛 馃槈
Ninety-four percent (94%) of the German shepherds working today as RCMP service dogs were born at the PDSTC as part of the RCMP Police Dog Breeding Program.

Registered
I suggest you go to a shelter than! My 1st German shepherd was the amazing gypsy girl and I rescued her from a shelter where she had been living for 7 months! It cost me $50
Kind of a pet peeve, but it's "then" not "than"! Then denotes something to follow, "than" is comparison term. That is, this IS better THAN that. Just sayin...

Registered
I haven鈥檛 been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don鈥檛 want to mention the breeder because i don鈥檛 want this topic to get totally derailed.

So anywhooo....to get back to you. Yes, you can find a good puppy for much less, right here in the states. Since your thread was totally derailed, why don't you start a thread asking for breeders and list what you want, are you willing to ship, and how much you can spend.

Super Moderator
So anywhooo....to get back to you. Yes, you can find a good puppy for much less, right here in the states. Since your thread was totally derailed, why don't you start a thread asking for breeders and list what you want, are you willing to ship, and how much you can spend.
They鈥檝e got one...

Read Only
And you are supporting a backyard breeder. Shameful!
She is not a backyard breeder in a negative manner. She breeds her female every couple of years and screen buyers who pay for their CBC. Anyone with a questionable history is not allowed to adopt her dogs.

We had a trained Doberman who we purchased for 4k 25 years ago so we are not opposed to buying from a reputable breeder for protection, search and rescue or K9 work. But I would not pay that for a family pet.

Please don't shame individuals for their choices when you do not have the information needed to make an accurate assessment of the situation. There is enough ugly in the world without perpetuating it.

Registered
Thank you, saw the W and didn't read it through. I was curious as I will be looking for a working line pup soon and want some recommendations. I will look around the site

Registered
Thank you, saw the W and didn't read it through. I was curious as I will be looking for a working line pup soon and want some recommendations. I will look around the site
What caliber of one? I know of a good breeding happening in GA! A super nice one in PA. Both will be a strong litter and the parents have stellar temperaments. PM me if interested!

Registered
There are more WL owners on this site than anything else. Read all the old breeder posts.Go to the Forums link at the top of the page and scroll down for the breeder section. Also ask. So many here know the different lines and pedigrees.

Registered
She is not a backyard breeder in a negative manner. She breeds her female every couple of years and screen buyers who pay for their CBC. Anyone with a questionable history is not allowed to adopt her dogs.

We had a trained Doberman who we purchased for 4k 25 years ago so we are not opposed to buying from a reputable breeder for protection, search and rescue or K9 work. But I would not pay that for a family pet.

Please don't shame individuals for their choices when you do not have the information needed to make an accurate assessment of the situation. There is enough ugly in the world without perpetuating it.
The chances of getting a well bred dog from a sire and dam who have had all the health testing and OFA certifications for 500$ is almost nonexistent! A well bred working line pup from a REPUTABLE breeder is going to be more than 500$. More like $1500+.

Registered
The chances of getting a well bred dog from a sire and dam who have had all the health testing and OFA certifications for 500$ is almost nonexistent! A well bred working line pup from a REPUTABLE breeder is going to be more than 500$. More like $1500+.
WGSL seem to be closer to $2500 now.

Registered
In this area it's more like $3500.!
That doesn鈥檛 surprise me either. Titling a WGSL is expensive as are imports. Prices are based on demand and what people will spend but also on breeding costs, going back to the price of the parents or other back in the line purchased by the breeder.

Registered
Crazy?! wow prices skyrocketed.
SL prices that I have seen are $2500-3500 on average. I would not look at anything much higher because it has been the bigger more commercial kennels that seem to be above that. At least that I have seen.
That said, all else being equal, Id rather spend more on a dog from healthy stock then spend money on the backside fixing issues that I could have avoided to start with.
I noted a Kijiji ad last week advertising what appeared to be WL pups for $3000. I briefly debated telling them they were crazy.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts