German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I know of a breeder in Colorado - West German Show Lines, that I would recommend. Her current litter is already spoken for, but if you are not in a big rush and can wait, she's who I would recommend in Colorado. There are a ton of BYB's and newer breeders in Colorado (I am in Nebraska but lived in Colorado a few years, years ago) Most there, I wouldn't recommend. There is one that charges those kinds of prices, but steer clear of them, just a huge puppy mill. Mittlewest used to be a top of the line breeder in show lines, but they've become a large scale commercial breeder and you've already read the reviews... You should be able to get a nice quality family pet from a show line breeder, out of titled and health tested parents for $2000-2500.
If you would like the info on the breeder I mentioned, PM me and I can give it to you. I have a good friend getting a puppy from her current litter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The breeder is Mittelwest out of Illinois. Seems very reputable based on reviews and info i have read here. I didn’t want to mention their name because i felt they were reputable and didn’t want to derail the thread. My only question was...is this really where the market is for a top line WGSL pup?
I'm in the Chicago area so I know a lot of people with dogs from that kennel. While they have produced some nice dogs, you couldn't pay me to get a dog from there. Every dog I know from that kennel has had health problems and if you ask the owners, they would not purchase a dog from that breeder again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! I've had several friends spend $4k on a pup from highly reputable breeders. Each one regrets the "purchase". Different issues for each, but health and temperament cannot be guaranteed- just like kids. Same parents can turn out vastly different children. Don't get me wrong, they love their dogs, but none felt the dogs were worth the ridiculous amount of money.

Money in no way guarantees a great dog. Spend the money if you need titles, or a trained guard dog. For a pet, I would not go to a professional breeder. Find a rescue, or a family who has/or plans on only 1 litter. Breeders are a step above "mills". Puppies represent money, not love. Please don't send "hate" posts. Breeding for any type of professional dog is different. Professional breeders for "pets" is silly. Sorry. I've had GSDs all my life. My parents trained GSDs for the police. No one ever spent thousands for the puppies... hundreds.. yes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven’t been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don’t want to mention the breeder because i don’t want this topic to get totally derailed.
Is there a reason that you are looking for such a specific line such as WGSL? I got a 3 year old working line GSD from German Shepherd Rescue of Iowa for $300 and he is an AWESOME family dog. Protective of the house and the 6 people that live there. Still working on his socialization but does well on walks and in stores. Might want to look at spending a little money to rescue a good GSD from shelter than to spend a lot of money lining someone else’s pockets (no offense to any breeders out there) if you’re just looking for a family pet. Just my .02.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow! I've had several friends spend $4k on a pup from highly reputable breeders. Each one regrets the "purchase". Different issues for each, but health and temperament cannot be guaranteed- just like kids. Same parents can turn out vastly different children. Don't get me wrong, they love their dogs, but none felt the dogs were worth the ridiculous amount of money.

Money in no way guarantees a great dog. Spend the money if you need titles, or a trained guard dog. For a pet, I would not go to a professional breeder. Find a rescue, or a family who has/or plans on only 1 litter. Breeders are a step above "mills". Puppies represent money, not love. Please don't send "hate" posts. Breeding for any type of professional dog is different. Professional breeders for "pets" is silly. Sorry. I've had GSDs all my life. My parents trained GSDs for the police. No one ever spent thousands for the puppies... hundreds.. yes.
I know you have good intentions but basically you're saying either rescue or support a backyard breeder. Terrible advice!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also liked their website but luckily found this website and got a lot help. To me they are the big business of breeders, look for the smaller breeders who do a handful of litters a year for the love of the breed, many will raise the pups in their home not locked in a kennel barn. Once you lock on two or three breeders run the pedigree of up coming litters here. The very knowledge people here helped me avoid a breeding that had a high likelihood of producing a pup with allergy issues. You can find great pups for 2 to 3k. Talk to the breeders, a good breeder will spend more trying to find out if they want to let you have a puppy than trying to sell you on why you should buy one of their puppies.

What kind of GSD are looking for? What do you want to do with the GSD?

·
Read Only
9 Posts
I haven’t been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don’t want to mention the breeder because i don’t want this topic to get totally derailed.
Wow. I paid $500, yes five hundred for our GSD 3 years ago. He is registered and beautiful.Very large, weighs 98 pounds, all muscle. He is very protective of his familyincluding his 7pound cat sister. You are paying way too much for a family dog.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Wow. I paid $500, yes five hundred for our GSD 3 years ago. He is registered and beautiful.Very large, weighs 98 pounds, all muscle. He is very protective of his familyincluding his 7pound cat sister. You are paying way too much for a family dog.
Orrrrr, maybe people believe in supporting good breeders that believe in improving and maintaining the breed, actually health test to stack the deck of getting a healthy dog in our favor, know their lines inside and out to be sure the dogs they breed don’t have any temperament flaws and are worthy of being bred, are there for the lifetime of our dog to answer any questions or concerns we have, and are willing to take the dog back in case we can’t keep him/her anymore? Not everyone wants to support backyard breeders that couldn’t care less.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And you are supporting a backyard breeder. Shameful!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
One of my best friends and fellow breeder has had two replacements from Mittlewest that both have come up displastic. So that is three bitches from three different breedings (because no one in their right mind would take a replacement puppy from a breeding that already produced a dysplastic dog). Last replacement was spayed today, redid hip xrays, they are so much worse after just a year.

She has a very nice WGSL bitch from totally different kennel that is producing nice, doing well in her training, stable temperament. We subject our dogs to so much on a daily basis, I wouldn't take a risk with a less then stellar breeder. Go with a breeder that has planned breedings for a reason. What are they hoping to produce with the pair. Picks sire and dam based on individual qualities, not because its a matter of convenience.

There is another breeder down the road from my friend, horrible dogs. Nothing but health problems. But since he doesn't care about having a reputable kennel name, he doesn't have one. Papers are handed to owners to fill out, therefore little can be published about the dogs that are being produced since there is no name to associate them with.

Puppies are worth, what someone is willing to pay. If a breeder can get $5,000 for a puppy, then that is what they will sell it for. You could find the same quality, at a lower price. Look at gas prices. Same gas, but you will see higher prices in higher end neighborhoods. I see it all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just my personal opinion but I’d never spend that kind of money on a pet dog (again 😂). Knowing what I know now, I’d rather spend the money on ANY dog and use whatever is leftover for training. Money is much better spent on the training than the actual dog if you’re looking for a family pet. I’ve had $5,000 dogs and a dog dropped on my doorstep for free that I don’t even know the breed of and the difference in temperament and stability is barely noticeable (health wise, mystery breed dog far surpassed the well bred ones). If you insist on a purebred, I’d just import... $4,500-$5,000 doesn’t guarantee you anything, so you might as well spend less... especially if it’s a family pet and you have to keep them no matter what 😉

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I am shocked by some of these crazy replies.
Just a pet? There is no job more important and more deserving of thought and planning. This is the animal that will share your home, sleep with your children and be your companion for the next decade plus.
Breeders one step above puppy mills? Clearly you've never seen a puppy mill. That's just an insult.
And this whole health issue thing? I have spent more on Shadow in a month then I spent on Bud in his lifetime. My little debt builder here has had allergy issues, skin problems, heart issues, joint problems, eye issues, injuries as a direct result of poor health. She needs to be on specific food, I have to regulate exercise and to top it all off she has a crappy temperament and is prone to biting.

$4500 to much? If it's a reputable breeder bring it on. It's way less then vet bills.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just my personal opinion but I’d never spend that kind of money on a pet dog (again 😂). Knowing what I know now, I’d rather spend the money on ANY dog and use whatever is leftover for training. Money is much better spent on the training than the actual dog if you’re looking for a family pet. I’ve had $5,000 dogs and a dog dropped on my doorstep for free that I don’t even know the breed of and the difference in temperament and stability is barely noticeable (health wise, mystery breed dog far surpassed the well bred ones). If you insist on a purebred, I’d just import... $4,500-$5,000 doesn’t guarantee you anything, so you might as well spend less... especially if it’s a family pet and you have to keep them no matter what 😉
I've seen several of these "Any" dogs come into training. Poor conformation and terrible temperament. Some afraid to walk through the door. Would I spend that amount on a dog? Probably not. But I would certainly spend the money to get a dog from a reputable breeder that health tests and titles their dogs before I'd get "Any" dog! A well bred dog from a reputable breeder makes the BEST pet!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've seen several of these "Any" dogs come into training. Poor conformation and terrible temperament. Some afraid to walk through the door. Would I spend that amount on a dog? Probably not. But I would certainly spend the money to get a dog from a reputable breeder that health tests and titles their dogs before I'd get "Any" dog! A well bred dog from a reputable breeder makes the BEST pet!
Hm... yeah... that’s why my suggestion was to import... “any” imported dog will be 10x cheaper than that and come from titled parents.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
Why should they import? There are plenty of good breeders right here in the states with lower prices. No guarantees on an import. They may be cheaper but they certainly aren't going to send their best dogs over here for pets.

I agree with Steve. Just any dog doesn't make a good pet. I see a lot of really hard to train dogs with zero drive and bad nerves. It's sad to see someone put out 10000% in training and get 2% back with a dog they have to manage for the life time of the dog. As far as I'm concerned, a family pet has to have even better nerves and temperament than a sport dog. Sport people micromanage their dogs and demand higher obedience so can cover some of that up.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts