German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don’t want to mention the breeder because i don’t want this topic to get totally derailed.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
It's NOT outrageous in the U.S.A. for a WGSL puppy. They start at about 3500 up to 5000. Some are more.

A dog suitable for a pet home comes from the same littter as a dog suitable for work or sport or show. The puppies are not worth less because they are going to a pet home. The same work and care went into them. IMO, the temperament on a dog going into a pet home has to be as good, if not better, than a dog in sport. They get things thrown at them like overload on socializing with people, dog parks, kids wrestling and screaming, etc.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I haven’t been in the market for a German Shepherd puppy in a long time, but is $4,000 to $5,000 not outrageous for a WGSL puppy, assuming everything checks out regarding the breeder, dam and sire?

BTW, I don’t want to mention the breeder because i don’t want this topic to get totally derailed.
OP, I'd pay that to get a really good dog. If I were you, PM who the breeder is to Jax08 and see if the breeder has a good reputation.

If it's a mediocre breeder charging that much definitely bail. Jax can probably tell you whether it is or not.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
I don't know much about show-line breeders other than locally here and the going prices. Not sure how much I could help you with that. I look at things like are they showing and training their dogs? Or are they just buying titled dogs from overseas and breeding them? Is all the health testing done. Do they have dogs from their own breeding's that they are training and titling? You're welcome to send me the link for my opinion on that but you really should get an opinion from someone familiar with show lines for temperament and health in those lines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The breeder is Mittelwest out of Illinois. Seems very reputable based on reviews and info i have read here. I didn’t want to mention their name because i felt they were reputable and didn’t want to derail the thread. My only question was...is this really where the market is for a top line WGSL pup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I just read two really bad reviews about these guys on yelp. And there was a parvovirus outbreak. This is harder than it looks.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
there are a couple OUTRAGEOUS broker/breeders in CO who import whole litters....basically they pay 700-900 EU a pup (800 EU is about $895) - then they charge $3500-5000 for them....now - yes it costs to do business....but seriously?????? Take your time and get some info here, research and buy a pup domestically or even import directly if you just have to have an import............do NOT pay $4000+ for a puppy!!!!

Lee

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
If you are willing to have one flown in, have you looked at Alta Tollhaus in Michigan? Very reputable. They even had one of there showlines at the USCA nationals last year.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My price limit for a well bred GSD is $2,000 there are some decent breeders a little higher between $2-2.5k but I will not go over $2k for a puppy personally. Especially considering in some breeds I can find fully trained adult dogs with health testing for around $3-4K I get breeds vary but when the health testing costs roughly the same I know that isn’t the factor for price changes of puppies. There may be something to said for varying vet costs but I don’t know that that difference ads up to potentially $6K+ when you factor in puppy prices

This could be somebody to look into.

Reactions: robmypro

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The breeder is Mittelwest out of Illinois. Seems very reputable based on reviews and info i have read here. I didn’t want to mention their name because i felt they were reputable and didn’t want to derail the thread. My only question was...is this really where the market is for a top line WGSL pup?
I would not ever recommend or get a pup from them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is in range of most of the commercial showline breeders I see. Mittlelwest is probably the most well known showline breeder in the US. That's probably why you can find lots of reviews on them. I wouldn't buy from them, but its also a type of dog I'm not interested in. At 4500, you can get a trained adult working line shepherd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like a lot of things, there is a point of no return when buying pedigree dogs. For me the most important factors are temperament and structure. If you are breeding, and you want to offer some level of stellar attributes in either WL or SL, then those things may drive your decision to spend more up front-but there are no absolute guarantees you'll get that in the end. IMHO you can get a stellar family dog for less than half that much. Temperament for the obvious reasons that you don't want a nervous dog. Structure because you want a healthy dog (HD/DM). Two dogs can look identical, even in the same litter, but one can have more of a given drive or better structure than the other. Even among higher end dogs, not all show lines will be "best of breed" caliber, and not all working lines will be police dog or SAR sure fits. Dogs can wash out of programs they were intended to fulfill, no matter the cost. I would check the pedigrees of the DAM/SIRE and verify their histories. And of course check out the litter in person if you can. $1500.00 will buy a pretty gorgeous, very stable, healthy family companion. The higher prices often factor in more kennel overhead than pure dog abilities. Not saying any line of GSD isn't worth more, just that you have to determine if a long list of GR CH show dogs matters to you if you aren't going to breed.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts