German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the veterinarian today for Zeus's yearly check-up, and decided to call a new veterinarian. Is $135 good for:

$20 wellness exam
$15 Rabies
$25 heartworm check (although he's not showing ANY signs)
$75 for a bloodwork panel

The reason I want a blood work panel is because I don't see the point in taking your dog to the vet for just an "exam" unless you're going to get a heartworm test and blood work panel to see if anything's out of wack. Is this a good price?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
That's freakin' cheap! Where I work it is:

$42 exam
$20 rabies
$3 medical waste
$35 4DX (heartworm, lyme, ehr, ana -- those two are tick borne illnesses)
more than $75 for the general CBC panel, I think.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I rushed Shoshona in yesterday, now granted she had x-rays but the bill came to $509.00. I don't have the bill in front of me but I think the x-rays were only $180.00. Yours sounds like a great deal.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDLover_ForeverI called the veterinarian today for Zeus's yearly check-up, and decided to call a new veterinarian. Is $135 good for:

$20 wellness exam
$15 Rabies
$75 for a bloodwork panel

The reason I want a blood work panel is because I don't see the point in taking your dog to the vet for just an "exam" unless you're going to get a heartworm test and blood work panel to see if anything's out of wack. Is this a good price?
Those prices appear to be very good.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would say that you are getting a bargain!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDLover_Forever
$
Is he on heartworm preventative year round? If not then by the time he shows signs of heartworm he would be very ill already.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My three are on heartworm pills every month and my vet still recommends the blood check every other year. Their charge is very close to the OP - $24.00.
Your new vet is doing the correct thing asking for the heartworm blood check.

The other fees are in line with what my vet charges - blood work is a little less at mine - $35.00 for 6 years and under and $58.00 for over 7, since it is more extensive.

My vets are very reasonable and I trust them - even more important.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it sounds like I am going with this veterinarian. Actually, my vet didn't mention blood work panel checks, I decided on getting them myself. =)

I'm going to make an appointment as soon as I can.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Sounds good to me. For us a vacc exam is $18, fecals and HW tests are $15 each, rabies is $19, cortisone shoot for Kenya is $25....my vet also has the cheapest Interceptor and Frontline Plus I can find.

Our vet will not give you Interceptor or Heartgard if you don't get a HW test once a year. They reluctantly gave me a box of Interceptor without a HW test on Coke b/c I haven't had him a year. Then he ATE the ENTIRE box so now I have to go back in and explain, get the test...like he would even have HW after eating six doses!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts