German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand know it alls who think they know everything and proceed to tell you you're the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Someone close has seen Gunner and just loves him to death - meanwhile before he came they didn't want to ever see him or have him over at their house
- said they've always wanted a GSD because they're so intelligent, laid back (what!?!), and just perfect. I informed this person that at 7 1/2 weeks Gunner isn't the most laid back puppy and probably won't grow out of it til he's an adult. This person proceeded to tell me after a year they totally become calm. Okkayy. whatever you say. And then I mention something about being excited that his left ear was starting to come up. Then I get "His ears are coming up?!? German shepherd ears don't stand up! They're floppy!".
Complete silence and shock.. I just shook my head and walked away. This person followed me to actually argue about it!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Are you sure they weren't talking about a golden retreiver. LOL

Yes, I love it when someone tries to tell me that GSDs are suppose to be 100lbs or that my sable can't possibly be a GSD because they don't come in that color. I have to admit that is the first time I have ever heard that their ears are suppose to be floppy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ugh...

That reminds me of the time I was talking to a cichlid breeder (I'm big into african cichlid fish) and he started talking about how one of his favorite males had lost his eye due to an injury and now he couldn't breed him anymore because he would pass it on to some of his offspring, there was just no way around it. I think I looked at him like he was from another planet....

I bet the person was thinking of a different breed all together and just had a dumb moment... or at least I hope....

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG
people are just ridiculous I would have been okay
got to go!!
His ear is up WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

only dog lovers would understand your excitement

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Everybody is an expert, ya know.

When we're out on Adventures with Otto, everyone says the same things:

How old is he? me- 10 weeks
What's his name? me - Otto but we spell it backwards
OMG, those feet! He's going to be a BIG dog... me - his parents are normal size. They're east german. They have big heads and big bones.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It may be their way of asking to be corrected. Some people are just **** bent on acting like they know everything while secretly wanting someone to tell them the facts. They just don't know how to ask without sounding like there is something in this world they don't know about. When I run into people like that, I have to remember to stay "calm and assertive".

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yea, the other day i had to take tyson to the vet for some help with getting his ear drops in (he "fights" me) and when i told the tech that it would be a good idea to muzzle him bc he will try to bite the little bottle. so SHE tried to muzzle him and has the means to say "dad must not be working with u"....uhhh?? huh?? i told her that he is not going to bite HER, he is trying to bite THE BOTTLE. then after all was done i was petting him on the head and playing with his ears saying "see its not the touch, its the bottle"...hehe

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaEverybody is an expert, ya know.

When we're out on Adventures with Otto, everyone says the same things:

How old is he? me- 10 weeks
What's his name? me - Otto but we spell it backwards
OMG, those feet! He's going to be a BIG dog... me - his parents are normal size. They're east german. They have big heads and big bones.
Oh the big feet thing...Brenna gets that too, everyone thinks she's a puppy. I had a guy INSIST she would be "At least 80-85 lbs" after I already told him she was 50 lbs and a year old (at the time) and may get to be 60-65 max. lol Meanwhile he had a little teensy GSD (maybe a mix?) that was probably 40 lbs dripping wet. haha

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: doxsee...
That reminds me of the time I was talking to a cichlid breeder (I'm big into african cichlid fish) and he started talking about how one of his favorite males had lost his eye due to an injury and now he couldn't breed him anymore because he would pass it on to some of his offspring, there was just no way around it. I think I looked at him like he was from another planet....

Years ago one of my co-workers was flying down to a Spanish speaking South American country to adopt a newborn baby. Another co-worker with a fly-sized brain was upset because the baby would grow up unable to speak or understand English.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't believe some people. I sure as heck don't call myself an expert. But the ears thing? C'mon....the only way someone would try to argue that is because they are hard-headed.

I was lucky to have my pups ears always stand up. But I didn't pick him solely cause of that. Cause the rest of the litter had floppy ears. He was just the first one to come over to me and was the only one to look me in the eye when I picked him up.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Here's the answer to folks who throw the "big paws = huge dog" idea around:

A Basset Hound puppy has enormous paws, but grows up to be a short dog.

A Greyhound puppy has tiny, petite paws-- and grows up to be a TALL dog.

Big paws indicate that a dog will have HEAVY BONE... not a high shoulder height.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Originally Posted By: Arycrest Another co-worker with a fly-sized brain was upset because the baby would grow up unable to speak or understand English.
This has to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. Surely this wasn't an adult. Surely this person was kidding. I can't even imagine someone having this thought process. Very scary.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Arycrest Another co-worker with a fly-sized brain was upset because the baby would grow up unable to speak or understand English.
I dunno, some people are pretty dumb. Or it could be a case of booze on the job...

Patti, I like your response about the big feet on a basset hound! Can I use it? It's starting to wear on my nerves about Otto's feet. His parents are both in the midrange of the standard but very heavy boned - his sire is built like a dump truck. His mother's father (Treu) is on the tall side of the standard but has the hugest clown feet! You don't really see it in his breeders website pictures but when he walked in the room I was like 'That boy has some FEET!'

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally Posted By: Arycrest
Years ago one of my co-workers was flying down to a Spanish speaking South American country to adopt a newborn baby. Another co-worker with a fly-sized brain was upset because the baby would grow up unable to speak or understand English.
Wow...I tell ya what.... wow......

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: ArycrestYears ago one of my co-workers was flying down to a Spanish speaking South American country to adopt a newborn baby. Another co-worker with a fly-sized brain was upset because the baby would grow up unable to speak or understand English.

wow...

But no.. This person who made the comment didn't want to learn. She's always right.
Doesn't matter if the proof is in black and white (or in my case, breed standard/pictures).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Originally Posted By: GunnersmumThis person proceeded to tell me after a year they totally become calm. Okkayy. whatever you say.
Hm. I really wish someone would tell MY Gunner that! He'll be six in November.

But yeah, gotta love all the experts out there. I had this one friend of mine give me the "poor stupid woman doesn't even know what kind of dog she has" attitude, because SHE'S never seen a blonde Golden Retriever before. Riley isn't red, therefore he CAN'T be a Golden Retriever. I just let it go. Sometimes there's just no point in arguing.

This person obviously had their breeds confused, but geesh - you'd think they might have listened to you since, you know, you HAVE one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts