German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well seems now that I am a dog owner I am finding myself with even LESS patients for the other dog owners around here. I have had to call animal control many times in the 7 years I have lived here. From neglect to nuisance. One of the dogs I have had to call on now has 3 legs because their owner is an idiot. They have a hidden fence with collar system and they dont keep up on the battery in the collar. So the dog is always running loose(I guess the poor dog got hit by a car this time). He is aggressive, majorly. I always take my son and go walking around(we live in an old mill community) for exercise. Well now with Tucker it's also to exercise him. He is very submissive to all dogs thankfully. But in the last two days every time we go walk we have a dog(from a chihuahua to another GSD) chasing us. I stop immediatly and put Tucker behind me. Sorry but I wont even let him play or sniff a strange dog, if they cant follow the leash/fence laws how do I even know the dog is up to date on shots and heartworm.

So today we are walking and the other gsd in the neighborhood managed to chew through her "leash"(a stupid wire tied to a chain in her yard) and got out of her fenced in yard. She clearly just wanted to play, looked to be about a year old. But still...my son was spooked by her so that didn't help(I actually saw the defensive side of Tucker during that incident, glad to know he will protected the family). Than we get not even 20 feet and a small terrier who wants to be big bad little dog starts chasing us, their owner trying to recall her, she wasnt having it. Again, no leash, no fence. Another 20 feet and a lab/pitt about a year old, male comes charging at us. He just wanted to play as well, no owner anywhere in the yard. Dog came all the way out in the street and we danced for awhile before he finally listen when I said go. I had a feeling it was gonna be a bad walk when we started out and the neighbors Chihuahua started chasing after Tucker.

And of course poor Tucker is standing there tail down head down glancing away whimpering at me like "Mom why can't I go play". Just once it would be nice if people obeyed the laws around here. You know dang well if it was my dog they would be all over me about him since he is a "big old meanie" :mad::mad:

Looks like I have to call animal control monday to come out here and give our warnings and fines. At $250 a fine you think people would LISTEN.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That sounds really frustrating. I can really understand your concerns.

I, too, have felt uneasy about going for walks in my own neighborhood with my dog because there are so many dogs with too-short and otherwise inadequate fences, riled up and charging at my dog as we pass and, yes, I worry about dog fights and lack of vaccination, etc. management.

Lately, I have been keeping my dog at home and only taking him to the local park path where everyone's dog is leashed and I just keep mine to myself when we pass others. Thankfully, we also have a large walled yard for him to play in unleashed.

I am not a fan of frequent dog mingling with GSDs.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yes some people really suck at owning a dog, I have called in my hood a few times, over here its almost zero tolerance, if your dog is loose and its reported, they will warn you once, next time they take the dog and you have to come get it and a court appearance, after that they confiscate the dog if i`m not mistaken

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now I don't have a car(mine blew up) so walking around the neighborhood is the best thing for us. I will let him run around in the yard some but until I get a longer leash Wednesday i am leery letting him off the leash(his recall isn't so good, ok its hardly there, previous owner didn't train at all it seems). In a few weeks we will have a van twice a week so hoping to take him and the kids to "safer" areas. It's just sad when you cant even feel safe walking with your dog or even without your dog in your own neighborhood.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
sorry you can't walk your dog in peace.
why don't you go in a different direction?
put the dog in the car and drive somewhere
where it's safe to walk the dog.

i know you have the right to walk your dog
wherever. i wouldn't exercise that right
if it put my dog danger.

hopefully calling A C will help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well as I said no car right now and doesn't matter what direction I walk in, someone's dog is always loose. And its not just if I am walking Tucker that irritates me, this has been on going for 7 years. In the other direction is a pack(about 10) chihuahuas that are let to run loose from their owners house, they will actually follow me 2 blocks back to mine! There just comes a point were it's gets absolutely ridiculous that I cant go anywhere in this neighborhood without finding someone's dog running wild.

·
Registered
929 Posts
we go to arlington all the time and we constantly see dogs wondering the streets, makes me sick.. dogs have gotten hit, i just cant stand it!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I feel your pain.

We are way out in the country and don't see a lot of other animals when we are hiking our property (thank goodness) but people here feel that it's absolutely appropriate to just let their dogs run loose. There is a couple living further down on our street that have a Great Dane mix who is always loose. They put him outside when they leave for work, and they have no fence or any other way to contain him. GRRR.

Further up on my way to go into town from home (we live about 10 minutes outside of town), there is a family who has three Labs. They live on a busy road - Route 58, which is a main road that goes to the hospital - and in a bend of the road (blind curve) and always let their dogs run loose. I always slow down real slow in that curve because I know there's a good chance they will be in the road.

Makes me so angry that people are THIS STUPID about the welfare of their animals.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That's the unfortunate reality. I walk my dog wherever I want and if a poorly socialized or unsupervised dog comes along, I'm my dog's protecter. I don't have any problem with setting all but the worst dogs straight. I will place my body between them and discipline the intruder. Max (my dog) is pretty easy going so he never starts the crap. I end it though. That may not be easy for everyone, I understand that, but you can't be held hostage in your own area. Best thing for us is, we go to a great private (reasonable fee) dog park. Pretty much everyone there has a good dog. On the rare time that an aggressive or unruly dog shows up, the majority of owners there insist that the "bad" dog leaves. Have you checked to see if one of your local vets or other entity has a private park? Still think it's my right to have a fairly peaceful walk down my own street though! Bring a big stick or even pepper spray... you have a right to walk your dog without harrasment and worry.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I feel your pain.

We are way out in the country and don't see a lot of other animals when we are hiking our property (thank goodness) but people here feel that it's absolutely appropriate to just let their dogs run loose. There is a couple living further down on our street that have a Great Dane mix who is always loose. They put him outside when they leave for work, and they have no fence or any other way to contain him. GRRR.

Further up on my way to go into town from home (we live about 10 minutes outside of town), there is a family who has three Labs. They live on a busy road - Route 58, which is a main road that goes to the hospital - and in a bend of the road (blind curve) and always let their dogs run loose. I always slow down real slow in that curve because I know there's a good chance they will be in the road.

Makes me so angry that people are THIS STUPID about the welfare of their animals.
Yep!! Dogs mostly awesome and innocent. People, often incredibly stupid!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I didn't walk Sinister in my neighborhood because there are ALOT of Pitbulls around here (I love Pit's but these are not the friendly kind) that run loose. But now I walk him in my neighborhood but by the richer side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I took Elvis for a walk with my daughter last night ... she walked the dog while I was prepared to defend for COYOTES. We went around 9pm and they are out in force at that time. We normally don't get out that late but it just gets so hot in the day that it's a little cooler then. I only had to scare one of them off.

Sorry to hear about your bad neighbors and their dogs. It actually makes going for a walk unpleasurable, which is hard to do with your GSD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts