German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah, I prefer the calmer. Though, Agis goes crazy when he sees us pick up the ball because he knows it means FETCH at the park! His favourite! The park is just across the street. I think he prefers it when my husband takes it because I don't throw the ball as far and my aim tends to be somewhat erratic. At least once every time I hit him with the ball!

Reactions: Roscoe618

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
Most people don’t know how to handle.
I certainly didn’t until I joined this board, and even now, I can always use some pointers from more knowledgeable people ( thanks, @David Winners! 🥰 )

Whenever I see “pet parent” or “ furbaby,” I already think that person anthropomorphizes the dog, and everything that goes with that.
You are certainly welcome!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ah, I prefer the calmer. Though, Agis goes crazy when he sees us pick up the ball because he knows it means FETCH at the park! His favourite! The park is just across the street. I think he prefers it when my husband takes it because I don't throw the ball as far and my aim tends to be somewhat erratic. At least once every time I hit him with the ball!
Yeah, calm is nice also. My wife and kids prefer it also, and he is somewhat calm with them lol

·
Registered
16,238 Posts
"should I be irritated?" eh, "should" ?? You can be irritated, you could be generous, you could be pleased with the way you handled the situation. Your choice - no should about it.

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
136 Posts
I have been working on being more assertive with irresponsible dog owners. A woman’s two small yappy off leash dogs ran up to a leashed Zepp (Zeppelin being the good boy did nothing as we continued walking past).
She said “sorry, sorry”. I said “it’s okay. .. actually, it’s NOT okay.” Like, why am I apologizing for your crappy behaviour?!

I’m working on it! 😅

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
770 Posts
After having a few off leash little yappers outright charge straight in and start to bite my previous dogs. I’m no longer nice. I will actually charge towards the dog while yelling “You better get your xxxx dog before I punt kick it“. The charge and loud voice stops a lot them in their tracks so the owners can get them.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@Zeppy @drparker151 Luckily we don't get charged a lot on regular walks - but when we do off-leash walks at the park nearby, Agis is a magnet for dog hate. I really don't get it. Last walk I did there he was off-lead and focused on us, not other dogs, and he still had a dog go after him.

Backpacking, I think that dog would've reacted at any dog once it caught up. He did meet a number of other imperfectly controlled dogs that were friendly/neutral and that all went fine.

@middleofnowhere point taken

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have sympathy for the owners with lunging snarling dogs on leash, because mine used to be one of them. So it doesn't irritate me...

I see people doing so many things that don't work...
  • doing nothing (these are the people that have given up, or owners of small dogs)
  • talking anxiously to their dog. "Be nice, be nice..." I start crossing the street at that point!
  • giving commands which are ignored
  • angrily whacking their dog (it's more frequent than you would think)

My dog doesn't react to small dogs but will "trash-talk" back at other large dogs that snarl/lunge at him first.
I regard this as him saying "Oh yea? Better back off, buddy!" and I am OK with it.
( He used to be the instigator, but not any more, so I can live with the remnants, which is his "defense mode".)

Hmm so I guess my reaction would be -
Not irritated at other owner. Not irritated at my own dog's reaction. Would not apologize for anything.
But would avoid them as much as possible, and go on our merry way...

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I have sympathy for the owners with lunging snarling dogs on leash, because mine used to be one of them. So it doesn't irritate me...

I see people doing so many things that don't work...
  • doing nothing (these are the people that have given up, or owners of small dogs)
  • talking anxiously to their dog. "Be nice, be nice..." I start crossing the street at that point!
  • giving commands which are ignored
  • angrily whacking their dog (it's more frequent than you would think)

My dog doesn't react to small dogs but will "trash-talk" back at other large dogs that snarl/lunge at him first.
I regard this as him saying "Oh yea? Better back off, buddy!" and I am OK with it.
trash talk. I get that. Mine would be willing to meet force with force, or at least used to. Now when a dog is barking and lunging across the street I start telling my dog "don't take the bait". Not that he really knows what it means but I'm hoping my calm voice lets him know I understand there is a trouble maker near and I'm not concerned with him, we are good to go on by.

And I listen to podcasts while we walk. I was walking each dog 3 or 5 miles each so that is 6 to 10 miles for me. But with this summer's weather and my dogs getting older, we are doing more free style play in the yard. We have the space

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I guess maybe I can see Agis's response as normal and measured. I just secretly wish for him to a pacifist haha. We'll keep working at it.

It really was she had such ample warning she was coming up on another dog and did nothing.

But, working with Xerxes I've walked in her shoes.

It's partially too I don't get why dogs so often are mean to Agis. I suspect the hound mix would've been mean to any dog? I don't know. It upsets me because he doesn't deserve the reactions - and that I really thought he'd be left alone camping.

@car2ner I guess listening to podcasts doesn't interfere with your awareness of what's going on around you? Maybe I'm too used to people putting up the volume too high, and running up behind them calling 'excuse me' multiple times rising in volume until I'm screaming at them. It's a pet peeve.

And, thinking of it, Neb used to meet force with force - never started anything, but wouldn't back down - he's mellowed now - but he's also 13.5 years old.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
@car2ner I guess listening to podcasts doesn't interfere with your awareness of what's going on around you? Maybe I'm too used to people putting up the volume too high, and running up behind them calling 'excuse me' multiple times rising in volume until I'm screaming at them. It's a pet peeve.

And, thinking of it, Neb used to meet force with force - never started anything, but wouldn't back down - he's mellowed now - but he's also 13.5 years old.
when I listened to podcasts or music I used to set my phone on speaker and put it in a pocket. I found using headphones reduced my situational awareness. Now I have ear buds that have a "be aware" setting. I guess it uses their microphone to increase ambient noise. I still need to be alert because even though I might hear the sound through the podcast, I don't hear know where it is from. I have to make a point of searching for the source. If I am in a busy situation, the podcast / audio book gets turned off!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh interesting! Tech is so much further than I realised.

Here we're busier then the suburbs, but not like downtown. I know from walking our reactive beagle sometimes it seems like a lot of people!!!! A lot of people with dogs when it comes to that.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Keep in mind deaf/hoh folks probably won’t respond to yelling. My dog usually indicates when others are coming up the trail so that helps keep me aware. Seeing others on trail is rare, so not really a big problem.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Keep in mind deaf/hoh folks probably won’t respond to yelling. My dog usually indicates when others are coming up the trail so that helps keep me aware. Seeing others on trail is rare, so not really a big problem.
That's true. But I didn't yell? Her dog was shrilling and keening and when she caught up (I had moved off) she had a conversation with me so she heard normally.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
That's true. But I didn't yell? Her dog was shrilling and keening and when she caught up (I had moved off) she had a conversation with me so she heard normally.
I was referring to the bolded quote below.

I only mentioned it because I've been oblivious to people trying to get my attention, some people can get pretty angry. You’ll probably encounter far more people selectively tuned out with their headphones in, but every now and then someone simply may not be able hear you. :)

To your original post, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just work on what you can and let everything else go.

I guess maybe I can see Agis's response as normal and measured. I just secretly wish for him to a pacifist haha. We'll keep working at it.

It really was she had such ample warning she was coming up on another dog and did nothing.

But, working with Xerxes I've walked in her shoes.

It's partially too I don't get why dogs so often are mean to Agis. I suspect the hound mix would've been mean to any dog? I don't know. It upsets me because he doesn't deserve the reactions - and that I really thought he'd be left alone camping.

·
Premium Member
Masie GSD SL, born 7/29/20
31 Posts
Stuff like this happens.

Work on what you can control.

Don't expect other dog owners to be responsible, to have trained dogs, to show empathy or remorse or to act in a logical manner.

Don't let things like this get under your skin. It just ruins a wonderful experience for you and your dog. Take a deep breath and move on enjoying your hike.
Eactamundo!! This applies to life in general, not just around dogs. Just because YOU would apologize (you actually did) you can't expect the same consideration from strangers. You'll be disappointed frequently. Stay within yourself, knowing that you had a better upbringing and leave it at that. This person let their dog fuss behind you, instead of maybe hanging back and creating distance, for a long time. So why would you expect consideration now? Fuggedaboudit - lol

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes, this is how Rumo is. He does not start anything these days, but he will never back down and he will never run. (I know this because I've seen him get attacked, unfortunately.) This is probably more of a dog personality thing with Agis saying, "Oh yea? Better not try it!!" More submissive dogs may hide behind their owner, or try to run. (If Agis is not submissive, that may also be why he gets more 'dog hate?)

I do think that if you cared enough, you could train him to behave at least outwardly like a pacifist...for example, giving a command such as "Heel" or 'Sit' while another dog passes.

(You all could be like the four GSDs we passed on the trail once (TRUE STORY). We see a man with four GSDs but I need to turn that way on the trail to go home, and I am getting tense! We approach...no snarling/lunging is breaking out...so we keep walking...By the time we pass them, there are four GSDs sitting in a row, slightly offtrail, perfectly calm. We walked right by. Four pointy-eared heads turned to watch us. Rumo managed to go by with good manners, he may have let out a nervous growl...but I'm not sure. 😊I'm not saying I could accomplish this level of training with my dog...but maybe you could!! )

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Yes, this is how Rumo is. He does not start anything these days, but he will never back down and he will never run. (I know this because I've seen him get attacked, unfortunately.) This is probably more of a dog personality thing with Agis saying, "Oh yea? Better not try it!!" More submissive dogs may hide behind their owner, or try to run. (If Agis is not submissive, that may also be why he gets more 'dog hate?)

I do think that if you cared enough, you could train him to behave at least outwardly like a pacifist...for example, giving a command such as "Heel" or 'Sit' while another dog passes.

(You all could be like the four GSDs we passed on the trail once (TRUE STORY). We see a man with four GSDs but I need to turn that way on the trail to go home, and I am getting tense! We approach...no snarling/lunging is breaking out...so we keep walking...By the time we pass them, there are four GSDs sitting in a row, slightly offtrail, perfectly calm. We walked right by. Four pointy-eared heads turned to watch us. Rumo managed to go by with good manners, he may have let out a nervous growl...but I'm not sure. 😊I'm not saying I could accomplish this level of training with my dog...but maybe you could!! )
Worth a shot to try!

We just got back from car camping Th-Mon.

Friday night some upcountry degens take the sites next to us. Start drinking pretty sharpish and playing the most obnoxious music. As Nebbers was puking the night before (darned dog is always rooting around in dirt) we wanted to go to bed early and asked them to turn the music down. Sure, no problem. By 1am (my psych meds led me to sleep through most of this, though I woke up when my husband called the cops) they are fighting, physically and verbally. Beligerantly drunk. Someone's yelling 'I have a knife' and 'I'm going to kill myself'. I could hear punches connecting. Between when the cops came (our campground was not close to towns) the loudest, drunkest guy has taken himself, his partner, and his child (that we could tell) off in their car. We called back and reported it - of course, we're not anxious to get involved in a knife brawl, so we were still in our tent - cowardice I am sure - but there were a lot of them to be in theory breaking stuff up. Drunk guy shows up again around 4am while the cops were still there. Cops said they had to sleep it off. They got kicked out the next day.

I tell my MIL this - oh, well, the dogs would've reacted. Nope. Not so much as a quiet 'woof'. My husband said they slept through most of it.

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
136 Posts
we were still in our tent - cowardice I am sure
Not cowardice - smart. There is nothing you can do for someone who is blackout drunk and wanting to hurt someone - that someone could quickly become you.

Maybe the dogs didn’t react because they sensed you and your husband were safe and taking care ofthe situation!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Not cowardice - smart. There is nothing you can do for someone who is blackout drunk and wanting to hurt someone - that someone could quickly become you.

Maybe the dogs didn’t react because they sensed you and your husband were safe and taking care ofthe situation!
I am hoping that's it. It's funny, my MIL was horrified at Agis (dangerous breeds and all) and then she's upset when he is calm haha). The cops left around 5am and we just stayed up and had a fire.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts