German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure the best place for this...

Agis and I just got back from our first backpacking trip.

I know he's two now, but last year's trips got cancelled due to COVID and injury. This year's earlier one got cancelled of all things because I sleep walk sometimes (likely one of my psych meds). Asked GP when my husband raised it after I was rummaging around in our walk-in at 3am, asleep - he sleeps light, asked what I was doing, and I said 'I'm looking for toilet paper!'. He sent me the washroom, and then I rummaged around in the living room for awhile. No memory of any of it. Anyways - my GP was cautious, my pdoc said 'absolutely not, do not camp by yourself'. Eventually my husband said, look, you're depressed, you love this, do it.

Which is long-winded way of saying Agis was a very good boy this weekend. Every dog we saw we stopped off trail and he sat nicely, or sniffed poliitely if the other dog was given enough leash to come over.

Except -

The first day, I could hear a keening behind us for 1km. It took that long for the day hikers to catch up, and the whole time, their dog is shrilling and keening. So when I knew they were close, I went WAY off trail and put Agis in a sit. The dog comes, and the owner says, he's been smelling you guys! ...you don't say... Hound mix, very riled up. It lunges at Agis (it was on leash, it didn't get close). So lunging and snarling at Agis is something that causes Agis to respond in kind.

I told Agis 'no!' and 'leave it!' and he returned to me, still hyped up/aroused.

Should I be irritated the other owner didn't control their dog better, that I don't have better control of Agis...I'm guessing both.

What really irritated me is I apologized to the other owner, even though her dog was clearly the instigator, and she didn't apologize to me. Maybe she didn't see it as a big deal?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(I should say, Agis was leashed...this park makes a special point of asking for it, so except when played fetch, he was leashed or on tie out)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think Agis did real well, you told him "NO", "Leave it", and he returned to you, that's pretty good. JMHO, but I think the other owner is at fault, by letting their dog lunge and snarl at your dog. It's kinda obvious they have no control over their dog, if they allow it to lunge and snarl at other dogs on the trail. You did fine, no worries. Sounds like you and Agis are good responsible backpackers.

Did Agis sleep in your tent with you? I'm anxious to do my first backpacking trip with Oskar, haven't had a chance, and probably will not get one till next year sometime.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Stuff like this happens.

Work on what you can control.

Don't expect other dog owners to be responsible, to have trained dogs, to show empathy or remorse or to act in a logical manner.

Don't let things like this get under your skin. It just ruins a wonderful experience for you and your dog. Take a deep breath and move on enjoying your hike.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Honey Maid and @David Winners

We had a great time! Once the dog was past, we forgot. Agis had a bit of an upset starting off at wearing a pack haha. But that lasted all of the first 150m.

I just wish (and maybe it won't happen, Agis doesn't have the personality perhaps) Agis would learn to ignore rude dogs.

I was walking him with my mom off-leash in a nearby park and he was accosted by a snarling (on-leash) dog. He had been walking by minding his own business and was pretty upset. He's such a good boy. For whatever reason, when we go to that park (which is huge with nature trails and paved paths, ponds, etc) he has dogs give him attitude. I avoid it more often then I would like to now.

(My mom raved about what a good boy he is, so at there's that positive from that)

Our last night, the people at the campsite next to us (the backcountry sights are clustered, boo) left early and said I could use their bigger site if I wanted. They said, but there's been an off-leash dog at the site next to us and it was coming over jumping on us...so I said, thanks, but no thanks. Have a barrier was a nice extra bit of privacy. (It's not my favourite park outside of October-November and April, but we were booking last minute and it was all we could get)

Honey Maid, Agis was very good in a tent. He's gone car camping twice before. With that said, I used my most 'tough' backpacking tent (it's ultralight, but not SUPER ultralight) just in case with him. But he slept great with it. My only complaint was a brought a foam pad for him and he kept trying to sleep on my inflatable one haha!

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
At least that dog was leashed so all it was, was a training opportunity and you both did well. Almost all dogs we encounter act like this. We have several dog training schools in town but hardly any trained dog.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least that dog was leashed so all it was, was a training opportunity and you both did well. Almost all dogs we encounter act like this. We have several dog training schools in town but hardly any trained dog.
You're right...he has his moments too, to be fair. I just dream of him always staying totally calm. On the walk last week with my mom and that jerky dog he barked and jumped away and ran up to us (he doesn't go far in any event).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@WNGD Well I haven't really gone through stuff - but a smattering! The first pic is pure excitement at the pack (in fairness, first time he'd worn it - he carried our water). He got over being upset by the pack at 150m in, which gives me hope that he'll enjoy pulling a pulk for winter camping (I (badly) skijor with him, so I'm doubly hopeful).

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Dog supply
Plant Sky Water Tree Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape
Water Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore
Plant Tree People in nature Outdoor recreation Luggage and bags

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And if this works, Agis playing fetch at the beach next to Sunday's campsite - my husband said I took nice video of grass. Everyone's a critic haha

http://instagr.am/p/CTfoHW0ng10/

Reactions: Honey Maid

·
Registered
11,087 Posts
I have determined that only 10% of dog owners know what they’re doing.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have determined that only 10% of dog owners know what they’re doing.
The thing is, I'm not entirely unsympathetic - our beagle is dog reactive, and with work, as long as we have warning (not like today after I got home and I had my back turned picking up his poop) we can generally control him. This lady had AMPLE warning they were coming up on a dog and still didn't have hers handled.

·
Registered
699 Posts
At two Ole is starting to get pretty good.

Previously he was either the instigator or at best made things worse by overreacting. It has been a long year and a half. I tried to apologize to everyone Ole pissed off... but to be honest, 99% of my attention was on Ole whenever a stranger or dog approached. A lot of people must have thought I was a rude guy with an even more rude dog. So, sorry to anyone we offended.

Now it is actually started to be fun to walk him around other dogs. He is not yet calm when other dogs bark and lunge at him... but he is under control and stays in a sit or down.

Whenever we pass a dog we know is unruly, we cross to the other side of the road and wait until they pass. Sometimes if they seem calm we just go to the edge of the sidewalk or path and wait.

Little dogs are the worst. Ole has gotten in the habit of rumbling at them if they yip or get too close.

I find it really funny when a yippy dog lunges at Ole while its owner laughs about how brave their dog is. At about 10-15 feet Ole starts to rumble. Twice this week the dogs have started to submissive pee before getting the heck out of there.

But, what can the owner say. Ole was calmly sitting and the other dog never got within 10 feet before it realized aggression is not the best way to deal with Ole.

·
Registered
11,087 Posts
The thing is, I'm not entirely unsympathetic - our beagle is dog reactive, and with work, as long as we have warning (not like today after I got home and I had my back turned picking up his poop) we can generally control him. This lady had AMPLE warning they were coming up on a dog and still didn't have hers handled.
Most people don’t know how to handle.
I certainly didn’t until I joined this board, and even now, I can always use some pointers from more knowledgeable people ( thanks, @David Winners! 🥰 )

Whenever I see “pet parent” or “ furbaby,” I already think that person anthropomorphizes the dog, and everything that goes with that.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At two Ole is starting to get pretty good.

Previously he was either the instigator or at best made things worse by overreacting. It has been a long year and a half. I tried to apologize to everyone Ole pissed off... but to be honest, 99% of my attention was on Ole whenever a stranger or dog approached. A lot of people must have thought I was a rude guy with an even more rude dog. So, sorry to anyone we offended.

Now it is actually started to be fun to walk him around other dogs. He is not yet calm when other dogs bark and lunge at him... but he is under control and stays in a sit or down.

Whenever we pass a dog we know is unruly, we cross to the other side of the road and wait until they pass. Sometimes if they seem calm we just go to the edge of the sidewalk or path and wait.

Little dogs are the worst. Ole has gotten in the habit of rumbling at them if they yip or get too close.

I find it really funny when a yippy dog lunges at Ole while its own laughs about how brave their dog is. At about 10-15 feet Ole starts to rumble. Twice this week the dogs have started to submissive pee before getting the heck out of there.

But, what can the owner say. Ole was calmly sitting and the other dog never got within 10 feet before it realized aggression is not the best way to deal with Ole.
I get that. With our beagle Xerxes, as we worked on getting control, I'd be working with him and trying to call out sorry. That's a fair point. She just seemed perfectly happy to chat and kind of chuckled at the snarling and lunging. Dunno. (Weirdly, Agis does not like puppies - he just turned two, so he was a puppy in the not-so-distant past, but.)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most people don’t know how to handle.
I certainly didn’t until I joined this board, and even now, I can always use some pointers from more knowledgeable people ( thanks, @David Winners! 🥰 )

Whenever I see “pet parent” or “ furbaby,” I already think that person anthropomorphizes the dog, and everything that goes with that.
That's why I've done private and class training with Agis - he's small, but strong - and I need all the help I can get figuring out HOW to work with him. Made a big difference.

Reactions: Sunflowers

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I don't get that either @Roscoe618 - or the people listening to music with headphones on. Why would you not want to be present with your dog while walking them? Why have a dog? Maybe it's just me, but I like talking to the dogs as we walk. (I also sometimes sing them songs about being the best boy, but I only do that when nobody is nearby 🤪)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Idiots with dogs (large and small breed) who have no business being off leash can make an otherwise peaceful hike stressful. My GSD is very dog friendly and yet when I see another dog I call him over and put a leash on him. Yesterday a couple approaching us with their off leash and yappy Yorkie saw me put the leash on my dog and yet chose to keep theirs off leash and the man comes over and ask if my dog will bite. I said maybe he will thats why I put a leash on him so I suggest unless you want to take a risk I suggest you leash or carry your dog. He looked at my dog and said "i will take a chance" 🤷‍♂️
I just shook my head and stepped off the path as I do not allow dog contacts with irresponsible dog owner!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh I don't get that either @Roscoe618 - or the people listening to music with headphones on. Why would you not want to be present with your dog while walking them? Why have a dog? Maybe it's just me, but I like talking to the dogs as we walk. (I also sometimes sing them songs about being the best boy, but I only do that when nobody is nearby 🤪)
I talk also but I don't sing lol.

I like my dog to always be jacked up on a walk...people that don't know me think I have a lunatic on a leash lol. I keep his dopamine level up the entire walk by making him keep guessing when the tug or ball on string is suddenly going to appear. In the meantime he is all over me (right to left, circling, jumping) just waiting for the game to start.
He is only 9 months but that's how I like my dogs to be on walks.
I might thrown in an obedience c0mmand or two when he is all jacked up then its play time. And his reward for all that is he gets to carry his ball the entire 2 mile walk back to the house.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts