German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more of a lurker here, but I feel like I have to complain about this and I don't think anyone I know will understand exactly why I'm so mad about the situation.
I was out on a walk today and one of my neighbors who has 2 aggressive wiener dogs and a mutt let all three dogs out at once while my dog and I were down the street. I know the wiener dogs are aggressive because this has happened 4-5 times in the past while on a walk, and the owner has screamed it while following behind. I understand if someone has a lapse in attention occasionally and a dog gets out, but this has happened multiple times, and I've brought it up each time that her dogs are supposed to be leashed while outside her yard. Her mutt was a 6 month old puppy, who while not aggressive continued to run away from her and follow us around the neighborhood on our walk for about half a block. Argos is incredibly friendly, and eventually I stopped to let the puppy sniff him so the owner could catch him, but when I told her that she should take better care when letting her dogs out she told me that it was an accident and it wasn't like she was trying to let them out or anything. I feel like when you have 2 dogs that attempt to attack someones dog and a third that follows them for half a block you should at least have the decency to admit you messed up. She seemed really upset that I was so angry about the situation and I left feeling like a jerk for stomping at her wiener dogs and telling her that it was illegal for her dogs to be running around the street without being on a leash.
Anyways, if anyone has any tips or suggestions for ways to deal with irresponsible owners I'd love to hear it. I'm just upset that my walk was interrupted by aggressive dogs and I'm the one walking away feeling like I'm the bad guy.

·
4,510 Posts
I wished I had that answer to this. We have a family that lets their two year old GSD run loose. He really is a good dog, friendly for a GSD but not trained as far as we can see. This used to be family farm land but now it is suburbs and on a commuter road. Heck, it isn't the dead end we used to have. City buses go up and down the road. Not only does my male want to "get"this dog who occasionally comes to taunt mine through the fence but I'm afraid this other dog will get hit by a car, or a bus. He has run right out in front of our car a few times.

We have talked to these owners, but nothing has changed. Well, they whistle for their dog to come home, which he may or may not obey. But they have developed a good strong whistle. IN the meantime I have to be on the look out if we want to go for a walk, or go in the car and walk somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
if you have a leash law, contact your local AC, bring a camera with you and start taking pictures

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
she told me that it was an accident and it wasn't like she was trying to let them out or anything.

I'd of stopped the conversation at those words and said " yep...it wasn't like you were trying or anything..good point". But that's just me...I'm a prick at times..I might have thrown in a " well..you're only as good as your next excuse"...just for good measure.

SuperG

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Call to the owner, "Call your dog!" Let him/her know right away the dogs are out.

I keep walking if a nonaggressive dog tries to follow me down the street. Hey, you should've had it leashed if its recall sucks. I don't leave my dog unleashed in the unfenced portion of my yard.

Aggressive - I do carry stuff to deal with that, but I'd certainly try my voice first. I'm pretty soft spoken, but bellowing, "NO! GO HOME!" will sometimes send a dog trotting off in the other direction. An animal control officer once told me that a stick is really best. You don't have to hit anything with it, just use it as an extension of your arm to kind of warn the dog to back off.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I would take 2-3 days to write a letter. Something like,

Hello _______,

I am writing in hopes to try to work out a situation that is currently out of hand. I do not want to call Animal Control or the police about this. I really want to help you get your dogs under control so that all of our dogs will be safer.

Your dogs need some training, and you need to manage them better, or someone is going to be hurt. There are probably several things you can do to prevent them from getting out your door without being properly leashed. But I think you need help.

Fencing your front yard is something you can do. You can train your dogs not to come out of the front door. You can ensure your dogs are crated or leashed before opening your door. You can train your dogs to go to their place and stay before opening your door.

I am enclosing the contact information for a good trainer.

Lastly, as this has happened several times already, I need to let you know that if the dogs accost me and my dog again, there is nothing I can do, but call Animal Control, which probably will mean a fine at the least. If my dog is bitten while your dog is unleashed, then there will be veterinary expenses that I will expect you to pay. And if my leashed dog bites your dog, I will not pay for any veterinary care for your dog, but it will not end there. What is happening, is that my dog is likely to become dog aggressive if it is attacked by your dogs. This is a liability I do not want to face, so, even if my dog is uninjured and yours is injured, I am still going to file complaints with the proper authorities, because this is damaging to my dog.

Let's avoid all this, and figure out a way to properly control and train these dogs.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
ahh, this brings back Arkansas memories! A few neighbors were consistently jerks about this. The umpteenth time one said "Sorry!" I responded "No you are not! You do this repeatedly" I called animal control repeatedly on one of my nearer neighbors. I know they got visited but it didn't change the situation. I tried to get one of the dogs in to my vehicle so I could take it to the pound but that was a no go.

So I wish I had a good solution. I don't think there is one as involuntary lobotomies aren't in vogue...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who gets upset about this. Could be worse, because the wiener dogs do run away from me when I stomp loudly. It just upsets me when I think about what could happen if my dog wasn't as stable as he was, and how these owners are just completely oblivious to the difficulties they are probably putting a lot of dog reactive owners in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When my husband & I 1st moved to our house, our neighbor's dog, 5 houses down, ran out their open front door & attacked our dog. After we got back inside our house, we called Animal Control. The owners actually pretended to be sleeping. Didn't "wake" up til the officer started going into their back yard. I will say that we haven't had any more problems with their dog, but they were not apologetic & we are not "neighborly" with them.
Then we have 2 neighbors directly across from each other, that are 3 houses down that had loose dogs, often. Our house is on a cul-de-sac so we have to go past them or all load up in the car. The 1 neighbor's dog does not listen to him at all. We asked him, repeatedly, to keep his dog on a leash. Finally, 2 police officers witnessed his dog running into the street & nip 1 of our dogs. The officers talked to him & about a week later, the dog was gone.
The other neighbor had 3 pit bulls. 2 of them would stay in their back driveway, but the other one actually charged at me while I was walking 2 of our dogs. If I came outside & her dog would be loose, I'd yell out, "Get your dog!!! 1 day, she finally flipped out & started cussing me out cos her dog wasn't listening to her. I'm not sorry that I am not going to help her catch her dog when she knows it doesn't listen to her & she lets it out unsupervised. So, I called Animal Control, again. Shortly after, she moved. I am so relieved, not to have to walk in the middle of the road & be on super high alert, just to walk on the road I live on.
And our neighbor directly across from us have a very old Newfoundland that is harmless that is always loose, but I have seen him, on several occasions, peeing on our nice bushes of our front yard.��
I actually have a "loose dog" calendar/journal & video proof of various neighbor's dogs. Finally, Animal Control told us to call them any time we see a loose dog, since it's been such an issue. They come out & give a warning the 1st time, then if it happens any more, they have to pay a fine each time.
I would not tell the person with the loose dogs that you are calling Animal Control & tell Animal Control that you wish to remain anonymous. The offending party usually does not own up to it & want to blame you. However messed up that is.
It's a shame. I, personally, would be afraid of the dog getting hit by a car, or biting a child, but the owners don't seem to care. I feel bad for the dog cos it's not their fault their owners are irresponsible, yet they are the ones that eventually pay for it. I would be understanding if it was a random thing & their dog accidentally got loose, accidents do happen, but when 1 neighbor's dog was loose 7 times in 10 days, it's a bit excessive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts