German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our female is an obsessive water dog and with the temps being in the high 100's this weekend she spent the entire weekend in her pool.
I noticed this morning she was licking and scratching so I went to brush her and noticed her vulva was irritated, swollen and red. She has red spots around the area as well.

I think its just a rash from her being wet for 3 days straight and she has now been licking at it all night so its now swollen.
She was fine yesterday, was in the house and we were scratching her belly and she had no signs of this.

She was spayed June 17th. Had been vet checked after and was told she was all good.
I sent pictures to our local emergency vet this morning and they thought it was just irritated and was made worse because she was licking it. They did not seem concerned and advised us to keep it dry and monitor it. If it didn't get better - go see our normal vet.

She is at work with me and has not touched it once but we are keeping her out of the water and not allowing her near it, coning her if need be.
I am waiting for her normal vet to open so I can get her in. Just wanted to ask everyone if this just looked like she is doing it to herself or something worse.

Also - side note, she was on amoxicillin up until this last Friday post spay because the vet wanted to make sure she didn't get an infection after she had been too active the 1st night.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Sorry, no experience with a spayed female. Just bumping the thread up for you.

Hope everything works out well for you!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

She is already at the vet getting checked out. It seems she was bit by something, which caused the irritation which caused her to start over lick herself and walla puffy vulva. Its not spay related.
They are going to test to make sure there is no bacteria present and prescribe a treatment from there. Most likely cone/crate and a topical to get her healing.

For now she is making friends with all the office staff...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts