German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a titled show dog from a local trusted breeder. One dog I am looking at has a pretty high asking price and I just wanted to get a second opinion to ensure I am paying the right price.

DOB February 2010
Titles IPO3, FH1
Hips SV: HD (a1) normal
Elbow SV: ED (a1) normal
HDZW 76

Show Results (2011-2014)
16x's 1st place
7x's 2nd place

I'd post a link to his full stats but need to have 3 post first so I'll post it in a new reply. Anyways, curious what others might think this 6yr old Shepherd might be worth.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
price is worth what someone would pay. Is this to use for stud purposes/proven producer? Or is this a retirement home for a dog that is no longer working in sport or show.
If the dog is well known and people are looking at him to use in their breeding program, of course he is worth more than a few thousand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
price is worth what someone would pay. Is this to use for stud purposes/proven producer? Or is this a retirement home for a dog that is no longer working in sport or show.
If the dog is well known and people are looking at him to use in their breeding program, of course he is worth more than a few thousand.
I was told that his sperm count is still up and that it would be proven as part of the sale. The middle guy brokering the sale says I should be able to get a few stud fees from him due to his titles and being known...etc, however for 6yrs old I am basically a retirement home for him.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
well don't get me started on "pimping" out to recover costs ---
that leads to not rejecting or refusing any female that comes along -- even if they did health checks , so what , there is much much more to breeding.

you have to ask about the value of the dog , then you don't know enough to stud him out

so that there is no misunderstanding , thinking that I am ranting at you -- THIS middle guy brokering the dog is who I am taking aim at "I was told that his sperm count is still up and that it would be proven as part of the sale. The middle guy brokering the sale says I should be able to get a few stud fees from him due to his titles and being known...etc, however for 6yrs old I am basically a retirement home for him"

In another thread , difference between PPD and Sports Dogs - as I understand it I asked "how many sports dogs live out their lives with their handlers? Seriously .
There is always a better piece of equipment (dog) to trade until the ego driven results are achieved. Apparently you can make a mint ."

so why is this dog , who must have brought pleasure and rewards , and been a dog good enough to attain an IPO 3 and FH 1 , being denied the comfort of his own home and routine and bond , at the age when he deserves it.

maybe he has bred to the limit of those that were interested in him, declining $$ returns, or he is out of fashion . Not interested in dogs being treated as commodities .

Does the broker care where he goes?

if you get him , give him a good secure home without exploiting him .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that leads to not rejecting or refusing any female that comes along -- even if they did health checks , so what , there is much much more to breeding.

you have to ask about the value of the dog , then you don't know enough to stud him out

so that there is no misunderstanding , thinking that I am ranting at you -- THIS middle guy brokering the dog is who I am taking aim at "I was told that his sperm count is still up and that it would be proven as part of the sale. The middle guy brokering the sale says I should be able to get a few stud fees from him due to his titles and being known...etc, however for 6yrs old I am basically a retirement home for him"

In another thread , difference between PPD and Sports Dogs - as I understand it I asked "how many sports dogs live out their lives with their handlers? Seriously .
There is always a better piece of equipment (dog) to trade until the ego driven results are achieved. Apparently you can make a mint ."

so why is this dog , who must have brought pleasure and rewards , and been a dog good enough to attain an IPO 3 and FH 1 , being denied the comfort of his own home and routine and bond , at the age when he deserves it.

maybe he has bred to the limit of those that were interested in him, declining $$ returns, or he is out of fashion . Not interested in dogs being treated as commodities .

Very valid points. Honestly I wasn't looking to breed him, however the broker was bringing it up as a way to offset my high purchase price.

I've been in the market for a titled but older dog to essentially retire with me in a family lifestyle. I've owned retired Shutzland Shepherds in the past and always had a blast and think their great dogs to make a part of the family.

I've never been into clubs or shows but the retired show dogs seem to retain a lot even into their twilight years.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

So sad ...hope he gets a home where he is loved

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Very valid points. Honestly I wasn't looking to breed him, however the broker was bringing it up as a way to offset my high purchase price.

I've been in the market for a titled but older dog to essentially retire with me in a family lifestyle. I've owned retired Shutzland Shepherds in the past and always had a blast and think their great dogs to make a part of the family.

I've never been into clubs or shows but the retired show dogs seem to retain a lot even into their twilight years.
well don't feed that monster.
there are a lot of deserving dogs looking for homes ---
where are you located

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where are you located
SoCal.

I know I could go to a shelter and find a GSD for $500 and he might possibly be the best friend ever. My problem is I did that a few years ago, ended up with a dog with severe hip dysplasia and was quoted 15K for surgery and a 50% chance of a proper recovery.

Prior to that, I had purchased two GSDs that were titled but retired and honestly they were the best friends I've ever had (I did some personal protection training which was a blast and great bonding...etc) so that's why I'm looking for the titled but retired GSD again. A friend thats been through the ropes already, is ready for a retirement home and still has some ability to do some personal protection training (not intensive training, most for fun and bonding type)...etc.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
So now that I can post links, here is the Shepherd I am looking at possibly purchasing...

Naxos vom Frankengold STANDING AT STUD | German Shepherd Stud Dogs

They want 10K and I'm just trying to do my "due diligence" to ensure I'm getting a fair price.

Um, I would not buy....
If you are not interested in breeding him, that price is way too high for pet/companion. I would never spend that amount on an older dog. Many breeders give dogs to good homes after they'v retired them.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the cheesy part was the broker suggesting that you , a total novice , stud the dog out.

the owner , whether breeder or owner/handler sent the dog off with a broker (middleman). There are circumstances when it is a necessary or best for the animal to be rehomed . Wouldn't you want to find the best place , make available some line of non-invasive communication should the new owner wish to share milestones of the dog's life.
Does the broker care?
This is how big name pricey dogs end up in puppy mills or back yard breeders.

and by the way I anticipate the moderators removing the dog's and the broker's
information

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
the cheesy part was the broker suggesting that you , a total novice , stud the dog out.

the owner , whether breeder or owner/handler sent the dog off with a broker (middleman). There are circumstances when it is a necessary or best for the animal to be rehomed . Wouldn't you want to find the best place , make available some line of non-invasive communication should the new owner wish to share milestones of the dog's life.
Does the broker care?
This is how big name pricey dogs end up in puppy mills or back yard breeders.

and by the way I anticipate the moderators removing the dog's and the broker's
information
I so agree, the breeder that is having this dog brokered is not one I'd ever, ever support. I know a few people with dogs that this breeder has bred, and the health issues are heartbreaking.
It is about money for sure....not about the dog.

·
Registered
245 Posts
where are you located
SoCal.

I know I could go to a shelter and find a GSD for $500 and he might possibly be the best friend ever. My problem is I did that a few years ago, ended up with a dog with severe hip dysplasia and was quoted 15K for surgery and a 50% chance of a proper recovery.

Prior to that, I had purchased two GSDs that were titled but retired and honestly they were the best friends I've ever had (I did some personal protection training which was a blast and great bonding...etc) so that's why I'm looking for the titled but retired GSD again. A friend thats been through the ropes already, is ready for a retirement home and still has some ability to do some personal protection training (not intensive training, most for fun and bonding type)...etc.
Sounds like you want a good companion: healthy & well trained.

So, if you're going to drop 10k...why not just drop 2-3k for a good pup and then spend the other 7-8k on training?
If you think about it, it's actually half the price. If we assume your dog will live 12 years...well, you only have 6 years left with the 6 year old one. But with the pup, you're getting 12 years for the same price. Now your 10k investment is 2x 6 year periods. You'll have a lot more memories with the pup you get to raise. Plus, you'll have an infinitely closer bond with him.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sounds like you want a good companion: healthy & well trained.

So, if you're going to drop 10k...why not just drop 2-3k for a good pup and then spend the other 7-8k on training?
If you think about it, it's actually half the price. If we assume your dog will live 12 years...well, you only have 6 years left with the 6 year old one. But with the pup, you're getting 12 years for the same price. Now your 10k investment is 2x 6 year periods. You'll have a lot more memories with the pup you get to raise. Plus, you'll have an infinitely closer bond with him.
Re OP: Pup is the better value. I assume papers come with the quoted high price. You can save a lot of cash buying a GSD mix from your local shelter or rescue group. You won't get the papers but there are some nice overlooked purebred dogs/puppies without papers needing good homes for a reasonable sum of money. If you absolutely must get a pedigreed dog from a breeder, do due diligence and be sure the high price is worth it.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
Older dogs who have been objects or property in a kennel are infinitely bondable - they APPRECIATE the home as much as any dog raised from a puppy....I had a dog raised in a kennel in Europe who was absolutely bonded and loved me.....

I do agree that the price being asked for this particular dog is high - he is not a world famous dog that can command a big price being sold to be an object of admiration and prestige like so many big name dogs are as they age, he is a nice showdog who is not in demand for puppies or stud fees, is taking up space and the owner/broker seems to be trying to cash in on him....of course some small commercial kennel might pay that to breed a ton of untitled females to sell pups based on the fact that he is a V rated titled dog.... As a companion dog, you are offering a retirement home and frankly, the price should be nominal for your situation....brokers are always going to go for big bucks - and who knows - he may be buying the dog for a couple of thousand and the rest is his - happens all the time in dogs and in horses....

Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts