German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this and show in obedience and rally. I was at a show and finished novice and moved up to advanced the next day and one of the ring stewards told me I should have stayed in novice b. We had scored a 97 or 98 and he told me if we had stayed in novice and went to a lot of shows my dog would have been a top dog and we would be invited to nationals. (????) Can someone explain what he was talking about? Thanks

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think the Nationals are over for this year. So if you had campaigned your dog in Rally Novice for a year, you might have been invited to the Nationals as the best Rally Novice dog. Maybe.

Rally Novice B are for competitors who have earned any obedience/rally title, or a dog has earned any title. You can continue in Novice B, indefinitely, but you have to get out of Novice A, after you earn a title. If the nationals is your goal than that might be a way toward it.

If your dog is ready to work off lead, and the nationals are not your goal, then why not continue on in Rally Advanced A. Now, getting to the Nationals from Advanced is a tougher road, because the people that go on in Rally go into Rally Advanced A (for the most part, and if the dog doesn't have an obedience title), and then they go on to Excellent level, and if that isn't enough pain they go into B and sign up for Advanced an Excellent and if they qualify in both Advanced and Excellent in the same show, ten separate times, you can get your RAE. Yay. And some of these B - people are working on their 3rd RAE with the dog -- that is sick. Sorry, but people need to try something new.

But maybe they will be invited to the nationals. I mean, you have to start getting some blue ribbons the 30th or 40th time you are in the ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have since finished rally advanced, beginner novice, 2 novice and are working on open exercises. Was he talking about nationals and how does that work?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is there an invitational for Rally? I found the Obedience because my friend was invited.

I would not even think about repeating Novice. Get up to RAE level. Even there, I know many who get all 99s and 100s at that level. It would be tough to be in the top unless you trialed every weekend.

In short, ignore the ring steward and don't waste our money.

https://www.akc.org/press_center/article.cfm?article_id=4646

1 - 4 of 4 Posts