German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just recently turned 4 months and he LOVES exploring his surroundings. The bad part is I live right next to a busy highway and do not have a fence. We have two other dogs that know not go get in the road so we've never had to deal with this issue before. He also does not listen whatsoever, he does, he just has selective hearing and likes to be a drama queen. I've heard of some people that have an invisible fence with larger dog breeds that don't even mind the fence and wondered if some of your german shepherds stay inside it or not and also what brands you guys prefer. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
My big guy had no respect for the invisible fence we had for a bit. He stayed on the property mostly but would chase stray dogs or critters sometimes. He understood the fence but it barely registered when he did decide to ignore it.
It depends on individual dogs, their level of drive and their tolerance. I would not be comfortable relying on one to keep a pup from playing in traffic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our dog only was hit by the fence a few times and now does not challenge it. We just have it on beep mode which doesnt shock and she will back away when she hears the noise. I did take a learning curve though.

We went with Sportdog brand due to its ability to do large areas and have had good luck with it. We did have to use our own thicker fence wire instead of the stuff that came with it as it was too thin and broke at times.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Invisible fences are not recommended for breeds with a predisposition for aggression as per the manufacturer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts