German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting a German Shepherd from a rescue and looking at invisible fences, the Sportdog invisible fence to be exact. Wireless fences are a no go due to trees and my slopped yard. Can I use a fieldtrainer to teach him not to go in and out of the yard and to stay with me instead of the invisible fence so that I can also take it with me when we go to areas such as the beach or lake to keep him by my side??

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I have seen both good and bad comments about the invisible fence on here from members. I am not familar with the fieldtrainer maybe someone will come on later and comment for you. Thank you for giving a rescue a forever and loving home, please share pics with us when you get your baby.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have direct experience but a friend of mine recently using the contain and train system made by innotek, particularly this one Innotek IUC-5100 Pet Fence | PetStreetMall.com

She said it has run-through prevention system that is effective on training, as well the charge indicator light so you know the system is still working or low in battery. Maybe you should take advantage of their customer care system and ask about certain products that would fit to your needs.

BTW, congrats in advance for your new coming doggy and glad you rescued one.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I purchased the PetSafe (hardwired) invisible fence when we got our GSD. We had no problem with him learning the limits and it worked until he was about 9 months old. After that, I guess he became more protective of his yard and he'd take the hit if another dog was walking down the street. The other downside is that it does not keep other animals from coming into your yard-that happened once and it was not pretty.

Don't waste your money is my $.02.

L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the home visit went well and the first 4 GSD we applied for we didnt get, BUT we finally found this beautiful girl and she is ours!! Her name is Leia, as in Princess Leia from star wars, and she is 15 months old. She was originally going to be a police work dog from what we can find, but she didnt have the drive and ended up at the rescue. We are getting her October 6 and we cannot wait.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
77 Posts
A dog fence is a good way to ensure that your pet remains free and safe within certain boundaries. Wireless dog fences are good in that you do not have to set up a physical boundary. I would definitely recommend it for anyone with a pet.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
This is a 2 year old thread. I'm pretty sure the OP no longer needs an answer on this and is no longer around (hasn't posted on the forum again since 2013).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts