German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new addition to our family. Currently he is a 16 week old GSD. Quite amazing at the amount of stuff he has learned with us in the last 5 weeks. House broken in 10 days. I was a little nervous about a puppy but this boy has been a pleasure to house train. We bought our house about a year ago (1/2 acre). Little info on the home. We are on a corner lot with a 100 acre wetland to our south/southwest. One neighbor to our east about 200' ft away. Neighbor across the road to the NE. One concern I have is we have a minor league baseball field to the north of us with a park towards the road. Basically borders our property on our north side. I just found out from the old owners that they have a invisible fence wire that encircles the entire property. I guess my question comes down to this... will a GSD stay within the yard with a fence like this. He has been great with stangers up to this point. Loved everyone at the puppy classes childern included, doing great at his follow up class too. (his dad was a ham). We bring him on walks around the wetland (frozen winter) without his leash on and he never gets more than 30 feet away before turning and running back to us, even with tempting birds/wildlife about. He was a little aprehensive about the snowmobiles at first but soon found out that he would get to run next to us without a leash and loves it. I even got him on it to ride in my lap. Great way for us to burn off his excess energy at a faster pace than we can go in a foot of snow. I know that a invisible fence is not a impenitrible barrier for him but is it possible to train him to stay in the yard given his temperment so far. Obviously he will not be out there unattended but if the wire is in already and we can hook up a head unit and collar for just about nothing is a feasible alternative to a fence as long as we are out there with him. About the only thing he will growl at is another dog (they usually start playing as soon as they sniff one another) and I have yet to see a dog come to a baseball game or the park next to us. Is it common for GSD to make a break for it and go through the IF? any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Congrats on your new pup, and welcome to the board!

Nothing is going to keep a dog from going thru the barrier, so be prepared for it(bunnies, deer, squirrels are for chasing). And of course you know that nothing will stop a person or animal from coming into your yard. I have an invisible fence in our front for a bit of security, the dogs were trained on it, and if they ever got out of the gate in back will think twice about leaving the front. But I know that if the dog next door entices them, they'll shoot thru it in a heartbeat.
You can train him w/ the flags, etc. and he will learn his boundaries, but also training a strong recall is more important.
And never, ever leave him outside unattended, that is just asking for trouble, IMO.
One other thing, now and then there are "bunchers" that travel around looking for dogs in neighborhoods that are not allowed traditional fencing. They will steal a dog in a second and be gone before anyone is aware what is going on. bunchers stealing dogs - Google Search

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I use an e fence in my back yard, it's partially wooded and backs up to government protected wetlands and there was no way to put up a structural fence. That being said he is NEVER alone outside, we use it as a way to allow him to run around and play but have a little security that he is contained. We have neighbors that have cats that roam our property and a lot of deer so as Jake is getting older there is a risk that he will chase the deer early in the morning or one of the #%%$## cats while he is outside to potty.

It's not the best solution but it's the only one we had.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have an Invisible Fence. It was put in by my parents 20 years ago, as we live in a golf course subdivision that does not allow standing fences at all. It is in both the front and back yards, but is pinched off in the middle, meaning the dogs cannot travel to and from the backyard to the front, they are confined to either the back or front. However I normally don't let the dogs out front, and if I do, I'm always out too. But I live on a cul-de-sac - there is no traffic at all, only residents.

My yard is very large, and it backs up to a fairway. The back line is marked by a long row of huge boulders, the golf course's white markers, and there is the Invisible Fence sign under a tree. The left side of the yard is entirely a large sloping creek with steep rocky banks, the fence ends before it, the dogs do not go in it, and it has a retaining wall of brick. The other side has some trees. Both neighbors also have dogs, and also have IFs - the dogs will each go to the boundary - but never cross it to meet each other. Not once have either of them gone over to the other's side. The pugs could be standing there, barking at my dogs, and still, my dogs won't even try to go over there.

In 20+ years, none of our 8 dogs has ever crossed the line. Not. Once. There are tons of squirrels, deer, birds, etc. here and still, they will chase them but have never followed them over the line. There are golfers in our "yard" all day, every day during season - and none of my dogs have ever crossed the line to approach one. Golfers aren't allowed to go into yards to retrieve balls, either, so that's not an issue.

If my dogs leave the property, it is by car only. I do not walk them out of the yard, this is to drive home the "do not cross the line under any circumstances" point. When we walk, I drive to the pro shop parking lot down the street.

Also in over 20 years of living here, another dog has never come into this yard. This is not an area where stray dogs run loose, it is a private community that is secluded, in my life I've only seen 2 loose dogs here, both pets who got loose. We also have police patrols and neighborhood watches, if someone is in this community who "doesn't belong," they are promptly dealt with. Obviously I have a good situation for a fence, this isn't something I'd have in another setting.

My dogs initially all wore the collars when they were first let loose into the yard. All it takes is one zap - and they never try it again. After a few months I put their regular collars back on. My oldest dog is 10 - she has never once even attempted to cross the line. My late collie, dane, and ****zu both died without ever having crossed it as well.

Remi is 6 months old. He has never worn the ecollar. Until 3 weeks ago, I walked Rem on a 6 foot lead in the yard. If he ever got to the line, I'd stop walking, making the leash taunt, so he couldn't proceed. He also learned from my other dogs what the boundaries are. When he left the edge, he got a treat and praise. Now, he goes out with a 20 ft. line dragging behind him. He has a puppy brain, so if something were to happen, I could easily grab him. But so far, he has not once crossed the line. He runs like mad around the yard and sticks like glue to the boundary, you can actually see the perfect line of tracks on the right side. He also has a solid recall, I do not allow my dogs to be loose unless they have a solid recall - this is VERY important!

You can find horror stories online, passed on by people who don't know the real situations, which are usually made up, and who don't even have experience with an IF. People will come here and tell you it's unsafe, you can't keep other animals out (duh..), but for some of us, it is the only acceptable option. And I am the proof that you can have it in place for over 20 years, and never once have an incident with it. I mean really, my dogs are so solid about that line, it's like there truly is an invisible fence standing there that only they can see.

But training is key. Enforcing that boundary is key. I'm a little shocked by other people's dogs being so eager to cross their lines, but I really have put a LOT of time and energy and effort into my dogs' yard training, because it is truly the most important training they know, it could save their lives. But my circumstance is ideal for an IF - no traffic, secluded, private, no strays, no loose cats, no strangers permitted, etc. It's very safe here, no crime, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts