German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Making one last appeal for this poor boy. If I am unable to secure a commitment to adopt/rescue by Tue 11/9 he will be EU'd.
Please cross post !!!!

Diesel is a 5/6 year old purebred, neutered GSD. He is a MAGNIFICENT, large (115 lbs) boy. The only pic I have is poor, but he has a beautiful mahogany head and shoulders.
He has a great personality, holds his head high & proud, loves attention and being brushed.

Now for the bad part ..................

This poor boy was owner surrendered to us a few days ago. She claimed he had hurt his leg falling on her stairs & at 1st we believed it might just be a hip/knee/ACL injury.
However, after spending some time evaluating him, our Vet has determined he likely has DM. We are trying to confirm that diagnosis, but she is 95% sure.
DM dogs require a lot of TLC to extend their days (you can read about DM & the care required here: http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm ).
Since the care level is high and this is a big boy, we will not be putting him up for adoption to the general public.

All adoptions/rescues MUST go thru either myself or the Shelter Vet. Please do not call the shelter as the staff will not be aware of or able to assist you with this dog !
Also, please read the sections of the website above regarding the feeding, exercise and medication restrictions. The Vet will not release this guy unless she is certain
you will care for him properly !

At this stage, Diesel has little control of his RR leg and is a bit wobbly on the rear in general. He "tripods" when on cement & seems to do a lot better in the grass.
When off leash on grass, he can move at his own pace & builds up a rhythm and can move along quite briskly. I think he would benefit greatly from 3 or 4 short off leash
exercise sessions daily. When out in the yard with me this proud boy still tries to play ! He also paces the fence line by the parking lot, whimpering for his former owners who
abandoned him, it just makes me want to cry.

Other than the DM, he is in good condition. His coat is a bit dull, but I'm pretty sure he was not getting quality food. I was able to track down his Vet and he had a full exam and
blood work on 2/27/09. At that time they did not find anything wrong with him, so the DM has started in the last 18 months. He was HW & fecal neg at this visit and received all
his vaccinations.

Please email me ([email protected]) or PM with any questions,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh poor guy! i would take him if i could. good luck finding someone for him!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I will commit to $$$'s to help this beautiful boy. Will donate to vet, shelter fees or reputable rescue.....please PM me!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will commit to $$$'s to help this beautiful boy. Will donate to vet, shelter fees or reputable rescue.....please PM me!!
Thank you so much CampPappy, I will PM you if someone steps forward and saves this beautiful boy !

Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE !!

Marjorie Zimmerman, founder of the DM SUPPORT GROUP has secured a lifetime supply of DM meds from Westlab Pharmacy in Gainesville & can likely help provide a used cart when/if the time comes !!

I'm hoping this news will be enough to buy 3 or 4 more days for this poor boy and help in securing a permanent home for him.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Bumping, hope someone can step forward and take this poor boy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Awww, he's close enough to me, but I just couldn't handle anymore responsibility right now with taking care of my girls, my mom and our pets. I sure hope he finds a home...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
any luck finding someone to take him?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No takers yet, here is the latest & greatest on my boy ............

1st, I did get some good vid clips this afternoon so everyone can get a better idea of his current state & mobility.
This link will take you to all 7 clips + a bunch of stills I took trying to give everyone a better idea of his markings/coloring.
Obviously, the white dog at the end is a different project I'm working on (Shar Pei / Husky mix believe it or not!).

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/dukejazz/Shelter%20Dogs/Diesel%20and%20Lucky/?start=0

Temp testing results:

I had Diesel nose-to-nose with 3 other, unneutered male dogs this afternoon. A Beagle puppy (8 mnths) & 2 young adult Pit mixes.
He showed no aggression or growling at all and was completely uninterested in the pup (sniffed & walked away).

He didn't pay much attention to the cats in the cat room, but I attribute that mostly to his dislike for being on the cement, he just wanted out
of the room & into the yard. He did actually give chase when one of our loose "barn cats" ran by the fence, I doubt he would have caught the cat
with his wobbly back legs (and kitty was on the other side of the fence), but I'd be willing to bet he will pursue anything that runs.

He is a leaner & loves to rub on you like a cat. He also knows how to open the U latch on a standard chain link fence gate with his nose.
I've poked, prodded, pulled on his ears etc. and not provoked a growl, tho he will move away if annoyed too much.

DM Testing:
It appears we have 2 possible venues to get him tested for DM (the U of M & U of F). I will be pursing that with the Vet tomorrow.
Doubt the results will be back before he needs to be out of the shelter, but I will see that the adopter/rescue/foster that takes him gets the results.

Time on the clock:
The generous offer of a free lifetime supply of DM meds Marjorie scored for this boy has extended his time until Saturday, but due to the unusually high
intake numbers over the weekend & today, he now no longer has a whole kennel to himself :-( Not perfect for a big boy like him, but beats the alternative.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info !

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Bump for the poor boy!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Diesel has an extension until Saturday - please continue to crosspost him. He so deserves to live! :help:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What a beautiful boy... this is really sad and he seems still so young. Hoping for some good news for Diesel!

Tanja

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No takers as of this am. :help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
WE ARE COMING DOWN TO THE WIRE GUYS - Diesel is begging. And so am I. :(:(:(:help:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Final bump - Diesel goes to the Bridge tomorrow.....:cry:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 3 email leads I'm trying to validate, hoping to beg off on more time to check them out !

On a dark note, Diesel refused food both yesterday & today. They were closed for V-Day yesterday, so I was not able to spend time with him :(

I did get to spend 45 min. in the yard with him today & he did eat if I held his bowl. :gsdbeggin:
I put raised dishes in his kennel before leaving with more food, hoping he was perhaps just having a hard time eating from a bowl on the floor.

Staff has reported he is not eating - another obstacle to getting more time ........... :cry:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, I really wish we could take him, poor boy.
He likes girls :D

Lifetime supply of DM Meds + the never ending gratitude of so many GSD lovers who are trying to save him !!

You should see him in person :wub: you won't leave without him !!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts