German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends and fellow GSD Lovers.. :wub:
My 5 1/2 month old Puppy, only gives them a little chew, sort a crunchy little mouthing, then swallows them whole... I see some rather suspect sausages come out the other end that look like only a partially digested chicken neck, I did not think he got the full nutritional impact of his chicken necks..:confused:

Anyway, invention: I have aluminum checkerplate, 2.5 mm thick, for body armour on the Bushtracker.. Tons of scrap. So I took two pieces about 10x12" or so, with the checkerplate turned in, and that texture held the chicken neck in place. I put it on the ground, and then give it a one boot stand on kind of stomp. The chicken neck cartiledge and bone is PULVERIZED... About 2" wide and like maybe less than 1/4" thick. He chews that up with relish!!!

Now a rough couple of bits of thicker plywood might work, if you cannot get the checkerplate readily. Dry plywood bits, you just don't want the chicken necks to squirt out the side, :D you want it to stay put while you give it the big weighty stomp flat..

Or another idea is one of those meat tenderizing hammers with the big teeth... If you did it on wood it might also grip good enough... But the checker plate treadplate bits works a treat, and is easy to clean!!

Hope I have been a help to those like me that don't like the chicken necks swallowed whole.. :wild:

lone Ranger, out on the "Last Frontier" of Australia, out one the road with the Big Rig and one horse to an NRHA event, doing "Dances with Wolves" :hug:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S.
BTW,

He "Wolf Caesar" is strong enough now that he can crunch them up and does a half good job of chewing them up himself now... This was more of a younger puppy trick.. What motivated me to Post it was to help you, plus I was reminded of it as I am getting my new little Female pup next Friday in a week.

Her feet look like snowshoes... Mom is a 48 kg retired Police Dog with her Owner, and this is "Pick Bitch" of the litter. At last report she was even larger than the males of the litter... I AM SO EXCITED!!

I will be back to "Stomping Chicken Necks" in no time... :rofl:

Kind regards, lone Ranger in Australia,

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Great idea! Thanks! Good luck at the NRHA event!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My girl seems to tell what needs chewing, and necks dont to her? She chews on feet a bit, and chews her legs. She swallows necks whole and wolfs down any ground meat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am afraid the swallow whole just comes out the other end without the nutrition coming from it as good... The chewing would make the calcium more digestible, and the rest..

I have now improved the system, as I have a my new Puppy to go with the now 5 month old Male Caesar.... I have used Sika-flex bonding agent caulk and put two of the aluminium checkplate pieces together, smooth side together, checkplate out top and bottom. Two of these with the tread plate out on top to make a non-skid surface for you boots, and tread plate checkplate inside to grip the chicken neck, and it is strong and fool proof..

One good stomp and you have pulverized the chicken neck into a flat pancake of bone and meat. Where the young puppy cannot crunch it, now they can chew and crunch the pulverized neck. Easy to clean, grips chicken neck and feet, not much of a stomp and the deed is done. I weight about 185 lbs, 85 kg, and last attempt I did three at a time...

Hope a help, from Oz...

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I have been feeding raw for over 30 years . Pups are weaned on to chicken necks . They eat what they can and what they want and the rest gets discarded . Week by week there is less to remove. By the time the pups are ready to go to new homes at 8 to 10 weeks they are able to eat chicken necks and chicken frames and chicken legs with no problems.
If you want to teach the dog to eat differently give him an old stewing hen cut into half , more meat , and the dog will take the time to tear and make smaller pieces to eat .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been feeding raw for over 30 years . Pups are weaned on to chicken necks . They eat what they can and what they want and the rest gets discarded . Week by week there is less to remove. By the time the pups are ready to go to new homes at 8 to 10 weeks they are able to eat chicken necks and chicken frames and chicken legs with no problems.
If you want to teach the dog to eat differently give him an old stewing hen cut into half , more meat , and the dog will take the time to tear and make smaller pieces to eat .
Carmen, thank you for the help... But what you suggest is I am babying mine to much and they are not developing the jaws early to crunch through the chicken necks? Mine does the wing tips good, crunch crunch... But the fat part of the wing and bone She cannot handle and leaves the bulk of it... Maybe what you suggest is that I am feeding too much too easy, so they do not get into it and develope the crunching muscles early enough??? Do I get that right?

Kind regards Carmen,
from the lone Ranger in Australia, out doing "Dances with Wolves"

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lone Ranger, can you post a pic of what u r talking about? Your new pup is cute.
You are cute yourself, and what a cool name Cheyanna!! Sorry it took so long, had to get some more chicken necks.. I am a bit lonely out on the horse property, just myself and Wolf Family, taking the time now at 9 PM on Sunday night my time to load this for you...

At ten weeks now Shaka can almost handle them but I think they are still getting swallowed in chunks... I made this from scrap aluminum checkerplate at Bushtracker my Company, doubled and stuck together with Sika-flex marine adhesive... Here are the three chicken necks on the launch pad..

Then I step on it with my 185 pounds...... Only put one on if you are light, and give it a little stomp or slight jump...

And here are the results, pulverized but still have texture to chew.. I am guessing they metabolize this double to just chewing and swallowing whole or in large chunks...

Kind regards Cheyanna,
lone Ranger in Australia,
out with horses on the Last Frontier, doing "Dances with Wolves" best I can... :hug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts