German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just bought my first GSD - she is black/tan and is 8 1/2 weeks old. Her name is Sam. She is a beauty and I will have my hands full for a while! I've read numerous books, and have been reading this website for months, I am well prepared. I do have a few questions though, that have been asked before, but the Search feature hasn't been to kind with me. I am hoping for fresh answers, I guess.

1. Best way to deal with leash fear? She hates the collar and refuses to leave the house with it or the leash on. I saw another post saying to put it on and take her somewhere to walk her - I'll be trying that I guess. Any other suggestions?

2. How have your pups dealt with cats in the past? Sam is doing well, she wants to play with our oldest cat (he's 14) and of course he isn't interested. All of the kitties seem to just avoid her, but do you think they'll come around? They have to really... 2 are kittens, so I'm sure once they warm up they can have fun with Sam.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Welcome and lots of pics please
I'd leave the leash on Sam when you are in the house so she can get use to it also.
Can't help you with the cat issue

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I agree with Dawn. I would put the collar and leash on and LEAVE them on. (Except if she is crated.) Let her drag it around the house. Also, when you take her outside for "bathroom" breaks, always take her ON LEASH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. No more off leash pottying then. She can't resist it forever.

Another thing: her name! I call her name, and the seldom times she looks I praise her greatly. I only got her last night, so I guess that's expected. Do you all think she will pick up on her name by herself?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Leave her collar on 24/7 no reason to have it off her really.
Soon she won't even notice.

Make the walks short, sweet and greatly rewarded. Also start with the car rides now too!

As for her name, it might take a little bit, few days to a few weeks for them to learn their name. Then you'll be able to call her anything and she will respond (I think they learn the tone you're using more than their name) because Echo responds to a dozen varients of his name and crazy jibberish I make for him.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I left Jackson's leash on him and it helped out alot....he has no problems now at almost 19 weeks old...

And he does respond to his name, but he also responds when my husband calls him Dingo...go figure

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
She is adorable. We had the same problem with Apollo. He hated his collar but it is on him and will stay on him for a while. Eventually he will get used to it.

He hated the leash until he figured out what it was for. Now he doesnt mind it so much because he knows we are going walking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts