German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has finally come! It’s been over two years since my WGSL puppy, Forrest, passed away and getting this new guy has been a long time in the making.

I picked him up at the airport this morning. He flew in with his littermate, Uzi, and thankfully, the kennel was clean! He’s a confident, sweet, happy little guy, and I cannot wait to get started with him.

Thank you so much to Chris Wild for trusting me with him! I’m uploading these pictures from my phone, so hopefully they aren’t too big.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Congratulations! What an exciting time! Such a handsome fellow, love his expression, looks like he is ready for fun and action.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Oh, my goodness! He is just precious! I am so happy for the healing he will bring the hole in your heart left by Forrest. Archer is a great name and he is just perfect. Congratulations and keep us in the loop as you both progress!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got to meet your little one and the remaining boys the other day. A fun bunch of pups. My friend picked up the pink girl on Wed. She is a fun pup!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, he doesn’t like the crate so far, but that’s to be expected. It takes him about 20 minutes to stop screaming as if he’s dying. Silly boy!

·
Registered
27,224 Posts
welcome to the WH family! Boys are sooo dramatic....surprised though, that he is noisy in the crate.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh boy, he was pretty bad last night. It was a rough one. He would sleep for an hour or two, then wake up and scream again. I’d take him out to potty if he didn’t settle down after a few minutes. He always went right away when I took him out, but we were waking up every two hours. Chris warned me that he was vocal. I’m sure that he’ll settle down in a few days.

·
Super Moderator
32,138 Posts
Congrats, what a cutie!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He’s doing great! He is such a fast and natural learner. It’s crazy what a difference genetics makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Archer is 14 weeks old now. He’s what I would call fully crate trained. He never whines or barks in his crate and happily goes in on his own when he needs a break or nap. He sleeps from 9pm to 6:30am every night with no fuss or potty breaks needed.

He is in a puppy class right now, and that is going well. All the exercises are easy for him, and I have no issues keeping him focused on me. He has developed some problems with dogs however. He seems afraid of them and barks his fool head off whenever he sees them. We’re working on it.

He settles really well in the house, asks to go outside when he has to go to the bathroom, and has never chewed on anything other than toys or things I offer him. He’s also not at all mouthy, which I am eternally grateful for! I’m waiting for him to fully start teething before I say that he’ll never be mouthy, but I’ll take it while I’ve got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, since the thread was bumped, I’ll post an update. Archer continues to have issues with barking at the sight of dogs, and he also barks at cats and people around the neighborhood. I have a private trainer coming to our home tomorrow to work with us. Otherwise, he’s doing great! Still not at all mouthy despite being in the middle of teething, not even slightly destructive, listens well, doesn’t pull on the leash on walks, sleeps soundly from 9-7am in his crate, no potty accidents in the house for weeks... He’s doing awesome.

As far as training goals, I would like to do Nosework and dock diving with Archer, but to be honest, I’m having a hard time finding a place to actually do dock diving with him. In Colorado it seems the only choice right now is to go to actual trials and practice before the event starts. Nosework is easier to find classes for, but the trainer I really wanted to work with doesn’t have any openings for us. I figure I have some time to let him continue to be a puppy before I get seriously into sport training.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts