German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 20 month old GSD (intact) Bear, who we just drove across the country with to stay at a family lake house. Bear has always been really good with other dogs, we take him to a 40 acre dog park at home and he has never gotten into any scuffles. I have some friends who also bring there pups over and the dogs play all day in the backyard.

When we got to the lake house, we poorly introduced him (off leash, no real control) to the neighbors 8 year old intact male lab and Bear tried to hump him and both dogs got in a scuffle.

We have another family coming to stay with us next week that is bringing their 5 year old female GSD/Husky mix. She is typically pretty good with other dogs but is a clear alpha dog.

We were planning on taking them for a 4-5 mile walk when they get here to start the introduction but I was wondering if a anyone else had any suggestions on best ways to introduce other dogs to each other. We will be together for 2 weeks so we do not need to rush the interaction, but we’d also like to try to get them comfortable so we don’t have to kennel one every day. Thanks!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
1/ You'll be starting the right way; long walk, close proximity, no introduction at first.
2/ Stop, sit down, conversations, start again, closer but no contact.
3/ walk-bys, close proximity, no stopping.
4/ Many dogs don't naturally all just get along with all other dogs. The biggest problem is just rushing them together on-leash and expecting them to get along right off the bat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/ You'll be starting the right way; long walk, close proximity, no introduction at first.
2/ Stop, sit down, conversations, start again, closer but no contact.
3/ walk-bys, close proximity, no stopping.
4/ Many dogs don't naturally all just get along with all other dogs. The biggest problem is just rushing them together on-leash and expecting them to get along right off the bat.

Good luck!
Thanks! I am going to take it as slow as possible. We are moving down the road from the female in a couple months so slow and steady on leash work I think should be the goal of this trip.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I like to let them take turns walking behind the other so they can smell each other without touching. And if both dogs seem very relaxed and unconcerned eventually just let one start sniffing the other's butt. You can get a short butt sniff then walk off and not necessarily let them make full contact yet.

But you can just gradually let them work up to butt sniffs and walking side by side if possible.

If anybody is tense, tall, staring, etc, just keep walking out of reach of each other until they eventually get bored and relax.

Keep leashes slack when dogs approaching or sniffing each other. Remind people to be calm and relaxed. I talk to the dogs and give them calm, quiet praise for nice social gestures.

Once the dogs are together, avoid food, toys, sometimes even petting.

The best thing ppl need to do while dogs are getting used to each other I think it that quiet calm praise for what you like. Sometimes call a dog away from something or tell him not to do something if necessary. People being too affectionate with a dog in a situation like that can cause over arousal, some dogs are prone to want to get in the middle which can make a dog angry.

Humping is often over arousal, and you just need to calm the dogs down more. Some dogs just like to hump but most dogs don't like to be humped and it can cause problems so we don't allow it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First introduction went great! I tired the 2 year old male out all day then we went on a 2 mile walk. Walked the dogs around the yard and into the lake, then sat down with both dogs leashes and about 4 ft apart. No growls/barks/hackles!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts