German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have a 6 1/2 year old male gsd and I got a 8 week old golden retriever puppy last night. From what I read before getting him the two breeds should get along ok, when I got home with him my dog would just smell him but if the puppy would walk up to him he would run away. Today he would also avoid him but it seems as though it was less than yesterday. My dog never had a problem with other dogs when in the park or on walks, although he’s only been around a small dog a couple of times. I try to split time spent evenly between the two, I still take only my dog on walks as I always did and stick to a similar schedule. I take both outside and try playing with both so they get used to it. He doesn’t seem to growl or anything to the new puppy. Is there any signs I should look out for? How long might it be before I notice my dog accepting him? Is there any indication that my dog will just never get along? Thanks for any advice would really like to know where I stand.

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
723 Posts
I brought a shepherd home to my older golden, it’s been fine.. but there personalities mesh well.. my retriever is easy going, my shepherd makes the rules, lol.. but whole heartedly loves the retriever.. I would say, introductions should be done in small batches, for the first day my dogs only interacted through a x-pen, never left alone for months and always supervised, I don’t know much about either of your dogs.. but just monitor play, don’t let either one push the other one around, don’t let the puppy harass the older one, and don’t let the older one be to rude to the younger one. Read the language of the dogs if they seem to be getting wound up break it up, try and keep interactions short and happy and be ready for things to change for the next year at least as everyone gets used to one another. Control the situations on what you want to happen don’t let either dog control it

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My GSD was 5 years old when I got my golden pup. They never really got along. The GSD wanted to control everything and the happy go lucky Golden didn’t care about his rules!
When the doorbell would ring the GSD would be on high alert in case it wax a bad guy and tne Golden would be on high alert in case it was a pizza🤣. They were just wired different.

I used to compare it with two brothers living together. One is in law enforcement and serious and tne othrt is a pot smoking hippy
I could never leave them alone and unsupervised .

I lost the GSD in 2019 and the Golden is now 8
Theo my GSD pup is 6 months s d they get along well. The Golden,Pippin is now the boss and sets the rules, but he is very tolerant and Theo respects him as an elder
I think it just depends on the individual dogs and their temperament

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My GSD was 5 years old when I got my golden pup. They never really got along. The GSD wanted to control everything and the happy go lucky Golden didn’t care about his rules!
When the doorbell would ring the GSD would be on high alert in case it wax a bad guy and tne Golden would be on high alert in case it was a pizza🤣. They were just wired different.

I used to compare it with two brothers living together. One is in law enforcement and serious and tne othrt is a pot smoking hippy
I could never leave them alone and unsupervised .

I lost the GSD in 2019 and the Golden is now 8
Theo my GSD pup is 6 months s d they get along well. The Golden,Pippin is now the boss and sets the rules, but he is very tolerant and Theo respects him as an elder
I think it just depends on the individual dogs and their temperament
I’ve been monitoring their behavior and trying to play outside but my gsd avoids him. He might go up to him smells for a second and goes away. I put a leash on both and tried walking them in the yard or opposite sides but my dog is kind of pulling away. Yesterday the pup managed to crawl to within 4 feet but as soon as the pup go up and close my dog moved. I try to keep the pup away if he’s chasing him so my dog doesn’t need to run. Today the pup started barking at him as to get him to play but from my dog no playing emotion. My gsd was never really properly socialized when he was a puppy, never spent time around other dogs as to play and not small dogs. I don’t want to stress either one especially there being a chance that they won’t get along fully. I saw other breeds and even gsd get along and lay with a puppy right away but my dog is different and seems less playful and more comfortable to just spend time with me. I know this may change but now I am able to still work with the breeder and he’s still less than 9 weeks old. I rather both dogs be happy how they want to be and not just have them tolerate each other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only been a couple of days. Relax and don't force it.They'll work it out between themselves.
I know I don’t have a problem waiting but, he will start getting used to us and us getting used to him. What worries me is waiting and risking that. And seeing no improvement goes with that also. I know majority people say wait, but I feel as thought since my dog isn’t socialized for all the time when a puppy. And I think that’s what is making me think it won’t be like I’d want it to. Even now I tried giving both a treat at the same time and my dog would even run away if he sat close to him. I was able to do this a couple times. It’s really hard to say because it seems like they are just so different.

·
Super Moderator
9,484 Posts
That's what I meant by forcing it.Whenever I introduce a new dog or puppy at first they just exist in same house with very little interaction. They get used to each other by observing at a distance.Interaction between a young playful pup and a more sedate adult is in small increments and increases as the adult dog feels comfortable for longer stretches.

Reactions: Debbieg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I meant by forcing it.Whenever I introduce a new dog or puppy at first they just exist in same house with very little interaction. They get used to each other by observing at a distance.Interaction between a young playful pup and a more sedate adult is in small increments and increases as the adult dog feels comfortable for longer stretches.
I know what you’re saying but there’s always that chance that they just won’t get along. They might learn to live with each other but they might not fully get along. Every dog is also different my dog won’t even let me touch his paws, so when the little one tries to run up to him, it causes the same reaction as when I try to do that. Even if someone in the house is holding the pup from a distance he’s turning away as to show me he doesn’t want another dog because he’s been the only one for so long, and hasn’t even been around dogs before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you aren't able let go of your anxiety and let them develop a relationship on their own schedule consider returning the pup.
Yes I’m having that problem, I’m just so attached to my dog that whenever I pet or play with the new one I automatically feel bad for me dog, even though he play and goes on walks only with me like always (I tried to keep everything the same) I feel like he’s sad. Like he can’t do everything he could just a couple days ago, he doesn’t even go to lay in his crate. The pup is so cute yet i feel like I’m not fully considering him home because of the feelings between the two. And the more I think about it the worse it gets that I might have to give the pup back and then I’ll stay thinking where he went, for me personally it’s just so tough. I asked around friends to see if anyone knows someone just in case there absolutely no difference in a couple days, that way I think it would make me feel at least a little better know where he would go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just give it some time. It takes weeks or sometimes months and let them go at their own pace. Looks like you are already doing all the right things. Depending on the older dog’s temperament either they become great buddies or tolerate each other. GSDs are intelligent and will understand this new pup is a pack member. Curb any bad behavior early on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just give it some time. It takes weeks or sometimes months and let them go at their own pace. Looks like you are already doing all the right things. Depending on the older dog’s temperament either they become great buddies or tolerate each other. GSDs are intelligent and will understand this new pup is a pack member. Curb any bad behavior early on
I know this is a long read but I'm trying to explain where I stand, if anyone wants to know read through.

I understand everyone saying to wait and it only seems reasonable but seeing my dog having to change a couple things around when going about his day is literally hurting me inside and i feel bad for doing this to him, I mostly want to focus on my dog still. Either decision I make is difficult but I also know that the pup being not even 9 weeks old, he wouldn't "notice" suddenly being in a new home. While waiting I am worried about the stress on my new dog and the stress I will have, I don't have experience in this but I feel like best case they would just tolerate each other but my main reason was to have the pup be a friend to my dog. My dog have been fearful after a loud explosion when I was on a walk when he was younger and since then he's become more hesitant of thing. Even when training him later on he would get scared/frightened of what seem like nothing to me. Something falls over he would get up run and then check, he is very territorial and protective of me even to other members in the house. If I'm in the living room he will grown and bark at anyone that even starts heading in my direction, not always but it happens. I do correct this behavior but it's not for long that I see it again.

I would say that he's just not accepting or possibly even scared of the pup. I cant even get him to go over something or jump onto something. I think the lack of proper socialization early on is an issue here. If I'm on a walk with him and someone's on a bike or skateboard he just barks. Couple years ago something scared him. There are times when I want to cross the street with him and out of no where he'll stop and start pulling back because he got scared even though there's nothing there to me. I would say he could use some behavioral classes to help correct some of these things. Even when people come over he will bark when they enter, if they get up and go somewhere and what to sit down again he'll bark and if they leave same thing. He will stay near me the whole time making sure everything is ok. I think what I'm trying to say is that he doesn't have the same approach to different things as other gsd. I know he doesn't have to accept the new pup right away but inside I feel it's stressing him out, maybe it's not, and it's definitely very stressful for me. It's basically like, wait and maybe they'll be buddies and all is good or they'll just tolerate each other, which personally I wouldn't want because I feel it'll make at least one of them not as happy as they could be. And while waiting to see the outcome it might be too late to do anything about it then. We are getting attached to the new pup already and giving him back after 3 days would be tough already so that's why I'm trying to explain it all. Then I think about it like I'm giving up on the little guy because he thinks he doing nothing wrong. For him it wouldn't probably make a difference yet and my dog doesn't seem like he would mind being without the puppy. Maybe my dog just prefers to be around the people that he's lived with for over 6 years and doesn't like change. He doesn't even seem to be eating right since I moved his food so maybe change isn't right for him.

Lastly, I just want what's best for both, my dog seemed happy before the puppy and if I find someone that's good with dogs to take the puppy if nothing changes by Friday then I feel like he would be ok as well. Because he would have a good home like here.

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
723 Posts
It seems like your existing gsd may have some fear issues among other things, it seems like your well aware of it as well so why did you decide to get another pup? I can relate to anxiety around bringing another dog into a home, it’s a very acute stress. No one knows if the dogs will be best friends, but if you put the time in and work with the dogs they likely will be able to coexist at the minimum, if you aren’t willing to do the work it is probably reasonable to call the breeder and ask if she’ll take the puppy back if it isn’t working out, I wouldn’t just “give it away to a good home”. Your in a stressful period no doubt, but don’t be fooled it will be a lot of work managing the two to make sure it’s a healthy home for everyone. When I brought my gsd pup home she had golden hair in her mouth like a beard for a while from biting and holding on, among other things.. but I committed and worked through it, and all for the better. Get all the information you can and do what’s best for you and your family.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems like your existing gsd may have some fear issues among other things, it seems like your well aware of it as well so why did you decide to get another pup? I can relate to anxiety around bringing another dog into a home, it’s a very acute stress. No one knows if the dogs will be best friends, but if you put the time in and work with the dogs they likely will be able to coexist at the minimum, if you aren’t willing to do the work it is probably reasonable to call the breeder and ask if she’ll take the puppy back if it isn’t working out, I wouldn’t just “give it away to a good home”. Your in a stressful period no doubt, but don’t be fooled it will be a lot of work managing the two to make sure it’s a healthy home for everyone. When I brought my gsd pup home she had golden hair in her mouth like a beard for a while from biting and holding on, among other things.. but I committed and worked through it, and all for the better. Get all the information you can and do what’s best for you and your family.
The decision about the pup was a little sudden we have talked about getting another dog a couple times before but never went through with it. We just didn’t want our dog to be home alone if he would have to stay alone again for hours every day (I’m currently home most of the day) and I spend time with him and go somewhere every couple of days. I have contacted the breeder and he understand but like others recommends waiting, but if nothing changes he is able to take the pup back. I mention giving him to someone I know because that way i feel it will remove the stress and thinking if he went to another good home.

like you said it may be possible to help them get along but you’ll never fully know how good a friendship you’ll build and our goal with a second dog was for them to be buddies like I see others have. I don’t want to force anything but feel like I have to a little in order to see if there any improvement. I only try until my dog shows he doesn’t want to. Last thing I would want is for the new pup to constantly want to play and run but that will cause my dog to not feel at home like always.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have introduced new dogs to an existing dog(s) four times now.

Neb, now 14.5 year old, was the first puppy (introduced to my GSDs). I was nervous because Teagan was extremely strange dog aggressive and I was determined to go slow. Stuck Nebbers in his little crate, she plopped down in front of it and gazed lovingly at him. After an hour or so of this, I let Neb out, he climbed up on her head, bit an ear, and fell off. She looked so happy.

But I was very worried Luc - my first dog - wouldn't think I still loved him. I never worried about that when I brought home Teagan (another adult), but Nebbers I did. I think I had trouble bonding with Neb a bit as a result. I loved him, did stuff with him - but was always worried about Luc in the back of my mind. We bonded, but I thought I'd see this little puppy and that would be it (and MAN WAS HE CUTE!) but it wasn't.

Nebbers and I are best buds now, we snuggle together every night, he can spend an hour grooming me happily (thanks bud), we do our own little trips together without my husband and the others to cabins and camping. Luc and Neb lived together for...10.5 years before Luc passed, and they were incredibly close. I'm so a million times happy he came into our lives.

I'm not sure this would be the right decision for you, given that you are having such serious doubts (I never did, just didn't connect the way I expected) but dogs, like people, often do grow together.

Agis is the other puppy I introduced to existing dogs. When we got Agis, we took Neb and Xerxes to the shelter to meet him, they all ignored each other, so we took him home, outside to pee and then straight inside and welcome to our world Agis. Dogs are more resilient than we give them credit for being. Neb loves everyone, and Agis has idolized him from the start. Xerxes and Agis went from play buddies to avoiding each other when Agis got older (Agis played a little rough and he is twice Xerxes's size) back to, now that Agis is the mature age of 3, best friends, co-conspirators and play buddies - but now Xerxes beats him up.

This is my overly-long way of saying I think you might be overthinking this. You know your GSD best, of course, and I don't want you to do either dog a disservice, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When my gut has doubt I listen. I'm not saying it can't work. Just saying you may need to listen to your concerns. If you got the pup for your other dog then it's likely not going to work. If you got the second dog for yourself then you can/will find a way to make it work. Having two dogs who you keep separate is taxing at times. This I know from experience.

Your emotions definitely feed to the dogs. Best of luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When my gut has doubt I listen. I'm not saying it can't work. Just saying you may need to listen to your concerns. If you got the pup for your other dog then it's likely not going to work. If you got the second dog for yourself then you can/will find a way to make it work. Having two dogs who you keep separate is taxing at times. This I know from experience.

Your emotions definitely feed to the dogs. Best of luck
That's what I mean others say that even when they brought a pup home their dog showed interest but here even if the pup is sleeping my dog might walk up to him sniff him but still walks away, happened the other day too he was sleeping and my dog seemed "worried" or just interested because he barked quietly at him. He wanted to play ball in the house yesterday and i tried placing the ball closer to he pup but as soon as it was right next to him or he'd move a little my dog would no longer go for it. Out in the yard I try to hand feed both while they're sitting but my dog still leans back. Even now the pup it jumping and barking at my dog he isn't interested, when someone in the house had him on his hands and got just closer to my dog he'd turn his head away, as if he's trying to show he's not interested.

Even now the pup would jump and bark but my dog moves back runs around. Some say their dogs just avoid the pup like staying on the couch but here he will run upstairs if the puppy gets close. When the pup wanted to play my dog started growling more and showing his teeth, could be a show of correction or him showing he just doesn't want anything to do with him. On the other hand I also feel bad for the puppy because he might be missing out on possible playtime because after my dog moves away the pup just lays there and may just go to play with himself later. Some people I ask that I know also say wait but seeing how this pup is already starting to pick up a routine and maybe bonding and the longer I wait the more difficult it will be for all.

My intention was to get this puppy for my dog so that if home alone they'd play and hang out, seeing as my dog will just barely walk like 6 feet apart when both on leashes it doesn't seem to be going in the right direction. If even after waiting and maybe months pass and they still only learn to be in the same house but not play, I feel like that's bad in a way for both of them. Anybody that can, can I be sure that they pup will be fine if I bring him back to the breeder? Is he too young to make a solid connection yet? We only had him for 4 days and I believe they still have his sister so it will be a familiar sight and also another dog they had in the house. Really difficult but don't want to make my dog feel less at home and the pup be sad because he wants to play but might not be able to. Seeing the pup really is hitting me but I also constantly think of what my dog is thinking.

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
It sounds to me like you were wanting a companion for your adult dog. It sounds to me like the adult dog is not into that idea. And to be redundant It sounds to me like you should give it up. Your anxiety over this is not helping the situation, your adult dog is not keen on having a companion. It sounds like the idea was, well, your idea and had more to do with your worry/guilt/etc than realistically looking at your dog. Chock it up to experience and return the pup for a happier life for all of you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok after reading through your recent posts…I get a better picture of the situation!! So here is what I might suggest
1) as someone else said…you need to go by your gut instincts and you know your current dog the best. If you are having serious doubts then I don’t know how you will be able to handle the ‘mountain’ coming your way.
2) when I got my older rescue dog home…I did all I could to test the two dogs outside first and gave them an introduction and then brought the new guy home when everything looked great. But my GSD even though she loved the new guy outside …she didn’t like him sharing her space, her things or her ppl. Her initial reaction was ‘is he now staying’? Ok then ‘he won’t get my toys or my bed or he won’t come to my fav person’. You get the picture right. Days went with her hiding her toys, her bones and not letting him on her couch or her doggie bed etc etc. she went all out. Once it went into an intense play fight situation where the new dog was shaking and pooping all over the place(I posted about that in another thread) At that moment we really thought we made a mistake and they might never get along. And it took lot of effort and corrective actions from us to let our GSD know she isn’t getting her way every time even though we let them sort out their hierarchy. We had to teach them to play nice. Initially they were never left alone on their own. If we are working the dogs were separated. He got his toys/bed and she got hers and then there are common area toys. She got her cuddles first but next it was his turn. So we created a pattern that both dogs started getting used to. We were spending time with both and giving them loads of exercise so that they are tired at home. My GSD is dominating and likes to call the shots and herd and the husky basically submits belly up and gives up. That made things easy for us. If both the dogs are dominant it would have been difficult. Right now they are best of friends and inseparable even though their general personalities haven’t really changed.
3) bottom line is it takes a lot of work as is and a **** lot of patience. And with a young puppy and an older fearful dog…it is a lot more work. It might be better to find a good home for the pup through the breeder if you are already having serious doubts and it comes down to your bandwidth taking on the work as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok after reading through your recent posts…I get a better picture of the situation!! So here is what I might suggest
1) as someone else said…you need to go by your gut instincts and you know your current dog the best. If you are having serious doubts then I don’t know how you will be able to handle the ‘mountain’ coming your way.
2) when I got my older rescue dog home…I did all I could to test the two dogs outside first and gave them an introduction and then brought the new guy home when everything looked great. But my GSD even though she loved the new guy outside …she didn’t like him sharing her space, her things or her ppl. Her initial reaction was ‘is he now staying’? Ok then ‘he won’t get my toys or my bed or he won’t come to my fav person’. You get the picture right. Days went with her hiding her toys, her bones and not letting him on her couch or her doggie bed etc etc. she went all out. Once it went into an intense scary situation where the new dog was shaking and pooping all over the place(I posted about that in another thread) At that moment we really thought we made a mistake and they might never get along. And it took lot of effort and corrective actions from us to let our GSD know she isn’t getting her way every time even though we let them sort out their hierarchy. We had to teach them to play nice. Initially they were never left alone on their own. If we are working the dogs were separated. He got his toys/bed and she got hers and then there are common area toys. She got her cuddles first but next it was his turn. So we created a pattern that both dogs started getting used to. We were spending time with both and giving them loads of exercise so that they are tired at home. My GSD is dominating and likes to call the shots and herd and the husky basically submits belly up and gives up. That made things easy for us. If both the dogs are dominant it would have been difficult. Right now they are best of friends and inseparable even though their general personalities haven’t really changed.
3) bottom line is it takes a lot of work as is and a **** lot of patience. And with a young puppy and an older fearful dog…it is a lot more work. It might be better to find a good home for the pup through the breeder if you are already having serious doubts and it comes down to your bandwidth taking on the work as well.
A companion is exactly what I wanted, especially knowing goldens are usually calm dogs. It’s probably also a bit of everyone in the house fault for not socializing our dog more when he was a pup, and then fully training him. I just wanted my dog to have a friend but should have spent more time actually considering. Maybe finding a way for him to meet another puppy somewhere. I don’t want to give him back to the breeder so I asked friends and they are finding families that had a dog or have one now and are interested in another. I still try to get them together as comfortable as my dog will but seeing no improvements really makes it seem like even after a long time or introduction it might never get to the point I initially wanted. I don’t want to spend the time only have have both dogs not fully happy as they can be, I know that this is still a pup and will probably fit into any family.

I guess then it’s just dealing with having to give him away and then settling that he wasn’t too used to use yet since he’s so young and that he will be just as happy. A 9 week out that we only had less than a week should be ok with going to someone else right? As soon as he gets toys and treats, he will probably be just as happy if not more if someone has small children or another dog that will play with the puppy.

I made a lot of long posts but the more we watch the pup the more I feel for him when he start jumping and barking and my dogs runs, at that point I feel bad for both, the pup wasn’t able to play and my dog feeling less at home even though he’s been here the whole time. Seeing as my dog was always able to roam the entire house and is not limited makes me feel bad. It’s not even about putting in the work but the fear in us that they won’t get along like other dogs we see and what we wanted. And also no one knows how long it will take and the stress on everyone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts