German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old GSD and we are thinking about getting a new GSP my husband travels during the week and i work and have a 3 year old and I'm worried it might be too much and they will feed off each other since they would both be pups and bad behavior will errupt! I am also worried about damaging the bond we are establishing with our 6 month old Georgia! any comments or suggestions would really help!!!!:confused::confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it was me I would probobly wait till Georgia is about 2 and mostly out of the puppy stage and your relationship is established. Pups will learn from other dogs, so an older Georgia would be helpful, not hurtful, in the training process. Ultimately it is your own choice though. I know that I couldn't handle it when Zeb was 6 mo with a second pup, let alone a child too, but I'm not so hot at multi-tasking. At 3 years old, we are now thinking about getting a puppy. Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have the same opinion you do. Personally I try to wait atleast 2 years in between dogs, I want that young dog to be at a good place, obedience wise atleast.

I have failed in the past, and have gotten a couple of dogs within 1 year of each other, I had no problems, however, the biggest thing is, when they got older, they both passed away within 6 months of each other.

So I have vowed never again to get dogs that close in age it's to heartbreaking to lose two within months.

I would WAIT !! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts