German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are waiting on our Boxer puppy (7 weeks to go!) and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never had to introduce a pup to an older dog.. most of my dogs have been adults and when I have had pups they've been only dogs.

Freyja is a SchH dog and Falco (male) will be as well. She has good manners overall but is not a typical 'pet.' With dogs... she's great off-leash (ignores, occasionally chases to play), can be leash reactive but we've been working on that and as long as a dog doesn't get in her face, she's ok. We have two cats and she just wants to play with them, even at almost 2 years old... they are not interested though, she's too rough. But they can be left alone by themselves without any trouble.

I've read stuff online but I am not sure it applies to GSDs and I wanted to ask here... I'm looking for tips on what to do/not to do when Falco comes home. Anything would help
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Only a couple of thoughts:
Is there anyway introduce them at the new pup's breeder? That what I did with Lancer. Kayla went with me and first met Lancer down at Anne's and then had a six hour drive home in the car with them.

If not pick a neutral place for them to meet and spend some time together before bringing them home.

Do not: leave them together without supervision.
DO: balance your time with each one on one and together.

Congratulations and Good Luck

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've heard of bring a baby blanket home to our dog to accustom the dog to a baby's scent. Would it be possible for the breeder to mail you a blanket or toy used by your new Boxer puppy?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
We introduce our new dogs to our adults at the local park. With our baby beagle (whom I drove up from CA, so we had to meet here too), we were worried about her being squashed. But we needn't have. It went swimmingly. And we were really worried that he would be rough. He tends to play rough and tumble with his peers.

He's actually turned out to be very gentle with the puppy. He gets it that she's a baby. I'm actually amazed at the cr#p he puts up with. Sometimes, they get out of control, but they both have a solid recall (the power of high value treats! Especially with puppies!), so I don't stand around shouting "no!" "Gentle" or anything that's hard to enforce. I just call them to me. They get their snacks (every time, including the adults) and I redirect them to calmer play for a while: the kiddie pool, his playing fetch with her chasing him; we go for a walk. Snuggling then it's naptime. Something like that.

One thing I've also found helpful, if your dog is toy motivated, is to give her a toy she really likes (big stuffed animals are great) right before you let the pup out into the yard. Then the puppy is chasing the toy in your GSD's mouth. Instead of crunching faces and teeth, they're smashing up against the padded toy. Sometimes, the puppy still grabs ahold of my GSD's face and holds on, but not nearly as much as when he doesn't have the toy. That IS the one thing I'll stand on the sidelines and remind him --- "Camper! Toy!" He grabs it, lightly whacks her with it and takes off. She chases him, and it's more of a non-contact sport.

So, you could get Freya some toys now. Then when the baby shows up, put them into play right off the top. If you monitor it upfront, she should learn that the only way she can play with pup is with the padding in between them. It really has worked nicely for us.

Also I introduce the puppy to the adults separately. Dh helps. Before I had a Dh, I borrowed a friend that the Big Kids really liked. While I was introducing, Dh is walking the kids around the park and playing with them, so they're having a good time and not thinking too much about what I'm doing with the other pack member. One at a time. Then we all either walk or drive home. Puppy goes into her crate, in a room where the adults can't bother her, and takes a nap. Later, they'll meet up again in the yard. Then, in the house, I keep them separated with baby gates and crates. (I don't give my pups free run of the house for a long time, so this just works into my scheme anyhow. But the last thing I want is pup to get into the adult's face when we're all in the house, kind of squashed for space, and they're still getting to know each other. I give them several days to get to know each other before I let them "press the flesh" in the house.)

Of course, you know to always reinforce pack structure. Baby eats last, goes in and out of doors last, etc. Try not to carry the pup too much (elevating physically means elevating in status). That will help your existing pack accept her as the lesser member and be kinder to her.

And, finally, while it's so much easier to combine all the kids for all activities, I find it's better for overall peace if I separate them for some things. Everyone gets their own exercise and training sessions at least several times a week -- no one else. Even the big kids get one-on-one time. Puppies tend to suck up a lot of energy. My big kids love it when it's just him or her and me (or Dh). So we try to either take classes (even if they're repeats of classes we've already taken), walks, trips to the park, drives, etc. One of my trainers calls it "Mommy and Me" time, until the pup isn't so demanding and everyone can be managed as a cohesive pack again anyhow.

Yep, it's a LOT more work. But it really does seem to pay off.

Congrats on your new pup. Boxers are cool.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and print that... very helpful.

Thanks for the blanket suggestion! I think I have an idea of how to work that in

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Wear the smae t-shirt to bed every night for the next week. Then package it up and mail it to the breeder. Ask her to put it in with the puppies for a week or so and then mail it back. It will have your scent AND the new pups. Let Freyja have a good whiff.

Most adults dog are more tolerant of puppies. They seem to know it's a puppy and doesn't have manners yet.

If Freyja is leash reactive I would have the puppy on leash and her loose the first time they meet.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Does the breeder have a website? I LOVE Boxers. Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about him.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Re: Introducing new puppy to established bratty GS

Wow! Nice dogs. When do we get to see pictures?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Introducing new puppy to established bratty GS

Puppies are not even 2 weeks old. 6 weeks to go! There are a couple of pics of the litter in the "News" section/blog, where the litter announcement was made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts