German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all!

My family and I decided we were ready to take on a second dog. We already have one GSD, Kaiser, a White intact male who is 3.5 years old. He is very good natured and obedient. I picked up Kaiser when he was 11 weeks old and has been with me ever since. He has had a lot of time socializing with many dogs at the local dog parks regularly, as well as with the neighborhood dogs (all supervised and encouraged by neighbors - we have a tight knit community) and has always done well. He has only once or twice gotten upset with a dog at the dog park (an intact juvenile St. Bernard who eliminated over his elimination in front of him - which sparked some barking but it was quickly shut down by myself, the bernard owner was well over 150 yards away) And once by an intact female Doberman, who was known to show aggression to other dogs at the park, we defused that situation as well.

I'm happy to report that we have adopted an intact female German Shepherd, Quake vom Patiala (sable), from a local here, who didn't have time with anymore with his growing profession, as well as a separation and some other personal experiences. He told me that he acquired Quake when she was 10 months, and began doing Schutzhund training. She is very intelligent, obedient, and overall good natured. In fact, I really haven't had any doubts to whether or not she is assimilating nicely to the household. After I picked her up, I had a good friend of mine go pick up Kaiser and a leash and meet me down the road from my house. They greeted by sniffing each others privates backsides and were instantly excited. Kaiser did attempt to mount on Quake, but I quickly deterred that by showing him I didn't approve (this was Wednesday night). After we walked around the neighborhood for a little while, we went to my back yard. I let the dogs get used to each other off leash, but my friend was still around to help me incase something were to happen. Kaiser did attempt to mount again and I deterred it again, since Wednesday he has not attempted to mount again.

That night, they both slept in crates, side by side. Quake has been more vocal in her expressions, crying in the crate (which I expected to a degree) and barking at other people in the household when they got up in the middle of the night for a glass of water, to ease a crying baby, and the like. The approach I have taken so far is the " Two Week Shut Down" method, where she basically remains in the crate, removed to eliminate, for some exercise, and to eat. Once per day, I really exercise both of them and as they are both tired I let them get used to each other off leash in the back yard. They are doing great and act as if the other has been around for years (not following each other around constantly, sniffing, etc) Just acting normal like two individual dogs.

The other part of that is that I often bring Kaiser up to her crate and vice versa when Kaiser is in his crate, so they can have some limited interactions when the other is crated. Kaiser is extremely receptive, and if I'm around, Quake is fine as well. However, if I'm not around, and Kaiser walks up to her crate, she barks quite loudly and sends him off running.

I'm asking the community today, what they think of that last scenario. My personal belief, and I could be off base, is that she has the mindset: thats her only space/area and she feels thats being threatened by just Kaiser going near, or perhaps she is just territorial about it. Whenever she has barked like that I have gone down and expressed that barking like that is bad behavior (it has only happened twice) and then I turn her crate to a less stimulating view - the dining table, so she can cool off, and relax.

I'm looking for suggestions on: how to keep her calm in the crate, less whining or barking, especially when Kaiser approaches. Because of the two week shutdown, can I not give her a toy or anything for inside of the crate to occupy herself with? I don't want to create another catalyst for territory (fighting over a toy, or defending a toy) I even considered having them swap crates every other day, so they realize they are just areas to sleep.

-- honorable mention: I have noticed when I let one outside, the other can hear/realize and the one who is crated will whine. I will give the quiet command, and that typically ceases any vocalization.

Any input is appreciated,

Thank you all for your time and support,

Sean, Kaiser, and Quake :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
50 views and no reply's. :( I hope these forums are still active. I followed my routine today, letting one out while the other was crated, giving exercise, feeding solitary, etc. After they were both worn out, we went outside, they poth pee'd and poop'ed, neither seemed too concerned with the other at all. Quake was laying in the shade by my grill, and Kaiser was out sniffing a bush about 40ft away. When they pee'd they peed at almost the exact same time, about 15 feet from each other, they both smelled each others urine and that was that. Approximately 10 min later, they both decided to poop. Kaiser poop'ed first, and then Quake pooped about 25 ft from where Kaiser used the bathroom.

I wanted to end the session on a good note, told the pup's they were good, and told them to come inside. I had them both sit at the door, and "stay" until I told them both to come in. They both obliged (although this is a new routine for Quake). Once we were inside, I told them to "kennel up" and they both accidentally went in the same crate (Kaiser's), I heard a little jaw snap, no yelps, no barks, no growling or snarling. I did panic for a moment, as I thought my two dogs were about to ferociously fight in a confined area that I would have no means to stop/help. Alas, there was no conflict. I sent Kaiser off as Quake was in his kennel, as Kaiser was away, I had her transfer to her kennel, and then had Kaiser return to his kennel. They are both resting quietly in their kennels side by side right now.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It sounds like you're doing very well and the dogs are adjusting nicely! That might explain why you haven't had any responses ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts