German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if i put this in the right section.. i couldnt find a better one..
my friend came living with me like 2weeks ago and today he got a new dog home, a Pitbull. she's about 3months old
Now Rex didn't take any aggreesive steps, but just wants to play around with her and mate with her... what can i do to stop his behaviour ? :S the pitbull is very shy and laying around tough she's wigling her tail when rex comes, right now im holding him with the leash since of course i just can't let him to mate with her.. any help pls?

no aggression or barking or behaviour like that from Rex.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Will she correct him when he tries to mount her? Because she is a baby she is probably submissive to Rex so you need to stop him.
I would verbally correct every time you see him try.

Karlo will try to mount Onyx, she will get after him, but I also let him know it isn't appropriate! He won't even go there with Kacie!
He complies, but still tries now and then(Onyx is spayed)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes she is submisive, she won't stop him. my worries, what im gonna do for the night, because 1:13 in the morning here.. any ideas pls?

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
get a crate( I see you are in Malta, so not an option?) Or tether him to you and keep them seperated unless they are supervised.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i meant is, for tonight when we sleep because they aint supervised what am i gonna do? should i put the pitbull to sleep in another room or Rex?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If the puppy is 3 months old she can't become impregnated- do you guys have bedroom doors in Malta? If so separate them this way. You can also get Rex neutered to avoid impregnation later down the line because then it's a lot harder to stop him when she's actually in heat. Right now his humping is him trying to say I am big man around here- not mating behavior. If it makes you feel better my 10 month old female GSD humps my 8 year old male lab. We say off and she stops;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are alot of different houses in here, mine has a kitchen door and bathroom door, thats were i usualy isolate rex when he does something bad, i tried to isolate her in the kitchen but wanted to come out to rex, now i isolated him, but im worried that he might get jelous now by isolating him and leaving her with us :/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i understood for the longterm, its just for tonight that i wish the answer, because my friend and my girlfriend both want to wake up quickly, the pitbull wants is crying for the GSD even tough he's humping her like crazy :S on the other hand i don't wish to isolate the GSD for the whole night and leave the new dog to sleep with us , is there a risk he gets jelous and aggressive or hates us ?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
He'll be put off, but no he won't hate you or become aggressive. He's probably just really excited to have a new friend and has no manners. I bet in a few days when he realizes she's not going anywhere she'll be old news and he'll stop the humping:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope so, cause my friend was gonna remove the pitbull after the panic of tonight. im trying to keep things calm. i just hope Rex stops this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New update, the pitbull started growling at rex, they are both under the bed and won't come out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dogs are both barking and biting each other, but the pitbull is trying to bite at rex and rex is only biting very easy cause i think he doesn't want to hurt the pitbull. is there any danger in this? i think he's trying to be alpha on her but he's not using any force.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I don't know if i put this in the right section.. i couldnt find a better one..
my friend came living with me like 2weeks ago and today he got a new dog home, a Pitbull. she's about 3months old
Now Rex didn't take any aggreesive steps, but just wants to play around with her and mate with her... what can i do to stop his behaviour ? :S the pitbull is very shy and laying around tough she's wigling her tail when rex comes, right now im holding him with the leash since of course i just can't let him to mate with her.. any help pls?

no aggression or barking or behaviour like that from Rex.
Best thing would be to get Rex neutered because that way not only this Pitbull won't get bred, but you'll better be able to assure he won't accidentally breed with any bitches.

100% fix that will take place IMMEDIATELY. I always am a fan of those easy solutions myself.

Not sure why the pitbull isn't fixed also, is this her first heat cycle so she's too young? Cause I'd also make sure that occurred.

Otherwise, the 2 dogs can't be with each other at all during the month long heat cycle. Which I would find near impossible to work out in my home. You need to either manage this 100% of the time by keeping the dogs apart.

Or my vote for the much easier solution of a quick visit to the vet for Rex so you won't ever have to worry about this again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts