German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short... we may be going on a road trip (15 hours 1 way) to meet a female GSD who is 4. Our kids and 1.5 year old male GSD will be going with us. The 2 dogs would meet in a positive way and if they get along we can rescue her right then. (also if the female likes us)

My question is really how do you introduce the new one to the home, so the resident dog does not get upset? If we have room, she would come back with us, so they would have some bonding time that way. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. My boy isn't dominant... he's pretty laid back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Be cool, act normal and pretty much just ask the new dog to join in for awhile. Let her suss out the new digs at her pace. Figure out how to give her a place she can go to when the situation becomes overwhelming, this place should shield her from any intrusions. Somewhere to decompress essentially.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be cool, act normal and pretty much just ask the new dog to join in for awhile. Let her suss out the new digs at her pace. Figure out how to give her a place she can go to when the situation becomes overwhelming, this place should shield her from any intrusions. Somewhere to decompress essentially.
I like how you put this. :) With all of our other rescues, we just welcomed them into the home as if it was theirs to begin with. Our place is really laid back and all of our rescues have fit in almost immediately. By fitting in I mean that within a short time it feels like they have always been there.

The rescue said she is crate trained, though we don't use crates. However, if she is comforted by being in one, that we may just get one. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
the way we do it is to meet outside the house away from everybody's home. When a new foster dog comes here I'll put our dogs on the leash and go out to the drive way. The new dog will be introduced there and we'll go for a short walk around our block together and then in to the house.
So far this has worked well for everybody.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I meant to mention the crate thing. If she is crate ready, for SURE make that her den. Just close the door without latching(so she knows she can roam at anytime) to keep any unwanted visitors at bay. Have a family meeting about this too, if she is in the crate she is invisible. Ask her to come out, but no going in and getting her.

·
Registered
637 Posts
bring a crate to the meet and greet. bad idea to let them be loose driving back in the car with you., crate the female on the ride back. if the female is crate trained then yes , use a crate for her once she is home if they get along.

make sure the meet and greet is long and relaxed- spend a few hours with the rescue dog and your family/your dog. IF you have any hesitation then dont get her. the right one will come along

as far as entering the home, one of you takes your dog, the other spouse takes the new dog., your dog enters first after both dogs have been on a long walk. then new dog comes in right after your dog. put your dog away and let new dog walk around the house . then crate new dog in a nice quiet room and let your dog have roam of his house and not to bother the new dog for a bit, let her settle down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts