German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3-year-old GSD who is very high-energy but generally well-behaved. He does jump on people a bit (I have an appt with a trainer to fix that), and has a notoriously weak stomach (never stray from his normal food!)

I've been living alone for all of his life, so I've been a bit slack on his manners, but overall he's the typical lovey-dovey GSD. I do take him to the dog park every day and he's better behaved after it than before...

Now I'm getting engaged and moving in with my fiancee, who has two daughters (12, 7). They have never been dog people. They don't dislike dogs or anything, they've just never grown up with or had a dog.

And unfortunately, for the next year or so, it's going to be a small 3-bedroom ranch :)

So...any advice on this mini-Brady-Bunching? ;-) The kids haven't met my guy yet. Any ideas on first introductions? Making it work better? I can't be the first guy who's had this experience...any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Now I'm getting engaged and moving in with my fiancee, who has two daughters (12, 7). They have never been dog people. They don't dislike dogs or anything, they've just never grown up with or had a dog.
See, I think this is a really good situation because your fiancee and the girls don't have any bad dog-related habits yet. Which means you can start them off with the very basics of dog owning and loving and teach them right.

I would have them meet your dog while he is leashed - it's best if they meet him after he's had a good workout at the dog park so he's a little more calm and collected. Sometimes kids that haven't been around big dogs before are really intimidated by dogs that are overly excited and want to jump, so calm is perfect for meeting. Have the dog sit and teach the kids how to properly meet a new dog - come up slowly (no sudden moves, running, jumping, etc.). Offer your hand for the dog to sniff. If the dog comes forward to meet them and sniff their hands, it's okay to pet. Pet on the sides and under the chin, not on top of the head.

Does your dog play fetch? Tossing a ball around the yard could be a fun way for the kids to interact with him on the first meeting.

When you guys move in together, I would set down the ground rules for everyone to follow with the dog - who feeds, who walks, what they should and shouldn't do. Obviously, supervise the kids with the dog and teach them to "respect" him - ie, no hanging on the dog, trying to ride him, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts