German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Lara's gentle leader head collar came in yesterday :D She let me fit it without a fuss and I gave her tons of treats, but I don't want to take her for a walk with it on yet because I want her to LOVE it.

I put it on when I feed her all her meals, and I've been picking up and showing it to her and giving her chicken through the nose loop. She doesnt mind it while she's eating but sometimes I see her thinking about rubbing it off with her paw :p

So how long do you think I should just play this little game of headcollar = yummy food, then it comes right off until I start trying to actually walk her on it?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I could never get my golden to like it. He was miserable, so I switched to the easy walk harness, that was a hit and I still use it if needed now. I see it work on lots of dogs, so I would say a few days, then maybe put it on, take it off, and start leaving it on longer and longer.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think I fed Bianca through the loop first a bunch of times, then snapped it on, gave a treat and took it off, then fed a meal with it on and took it off right away. Once she seemed comfortable with that I fed all her meals with it on for about 3-5 days or so I think... The last time I forgot I had put it on her and so I forgot to take it off as soon as she finished eating and she didn't seem to mind it, so I tried attaching the leash and she was fine with that so I just started using it to walk (with lots of treats). Probably not the best way to go about it at the end but it worked. :p
Have you seen those videos on YouTube about introducing it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts