German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new and introducing Cambridge ("Cam"). I got her through the Humane Society. They told me she's about 3 years old. She was found about a month ago, starving and alone. She's gained about 20 pounds since then. I'm basically new to owning a dog although I grew up with large breed dogs. Cam's got a great personality and is very well-mannered.

I think she's younger than 3 but I'm not sure how to know. I took her to the vet who thought she may be younger too but still an adult because she has tartar on her teeth. We're not sure if she's full breed German Shepherd but she looks like it and has a lot of the distinctive features of the breed it seems. Doesn't matter really but would be interesting to know.

I'm here to share my experience with her and to get more information about how to care for her really well. She'll be going on runs with me eventually. Right now, I walk her a lot and hang out with her most of the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Welcome! I did a lot of rescue for a while and for some reason we always want to think our rescues are younger than they are. In fact, rescue groups and shelters always try to age a dog as young as possible because it makes them more adoptable. Does it matter? She looks purebred and very relaxed in your home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Oh, OK, thanks for your post. I guess I'd like to know for a lot of reasons. I'm interested in her developmental milestones especially. Perhaps 3 is too young still based on what you're suggesting - shelters underestimate age? She playfully bites and has quite a bit of energy. Only one side of her teeth has tartar. She is pretty chill here I think. She's adapting quite well it seems.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
German Shepherds tend to settle down around age 3, so if she is on the calm side it is possible she is closer to age 3. Milestones aren’t as obvious as they mature as they are when they are puppies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts