German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having an amazing forum for all to share and enjoy our pets together!
Our Bear will turn 10 weeks old tomorrow, and I can honestly say, I have failed at taking enough pics!
My puppy has a bright future ahead, working at Mayo Clinic drawing blood because he's so good at it !
I knew puppy teeth were sharp, but c'mon man, it has taken me a few weeks to learn not to feed the land shark my body parts!
When we brought him home he was a beautiful bouncing baby, calm and silent, and I even had the nerve to call him lazy. I was so wrong in so many ways!
He's very alert, never misses any action in the house with his watchful inquisitive eyes. If we introduce him to something, he knows more about it than we ever expected, we let him play with the garden hose running water for 5 minutes last week, and every day since then when he goes outside, he looks to see if it's on every single time!
We let him have a water bottle, the kind of crinkly noisy crunchy kind, and it has become his favorite toy. We gave him a drink of water before it was empty, and he knows which end the water is supposed to come out of, he makes the wife give him a drink from her own bottle~ lol
Our other dogs were deathly afraid of your average garage toolbox tape measure, when they are pulled out a little too far and fold and make all that noise, snapping and whatnot, this puppy is like what! bring it on! He would make a toy out of it if he could, but i think i need it more than he does, so we went to the pet store and found a plastic filled cat toy that he likes, but not as much as the empty water bottle. He has been a blast to play with and teach. Oh! we are going to have so much fun! Here's a few pics of our new bundle of joy!
Torr ~

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sometimes it's like having cats - you buy them an expensive catnip filled stuffed toy, and they prefer the bag tie you dropped on the floor!

One of my GSDs loved plastic bottles. The others could have cared less!

·
Registered
228 Posts
They do (or did a couple years ago when my guy was a puppy) make stuffed type toys but the cover wraps a plastic water bottle. Finn loved them!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah drparker151,
we were thinking about doing that, putting a little bonus in the bottle..
what are the odds that he might rip a hole into the bottle and then cut himself with it?
We are looking at a Treat Dispenser Ball right now.. but after seeing a video on it, it looks small, and has an adjustable dispensing hole, but if the treats or kibble get stuck to one another, it will probably plug the hole. The plastic bottle is a good idea, and a stronger bottle versus the weaker ones would prolly work great ~

WNGD - His Parents get all the credit for his cuteness.. We're lucky the breeder gave us first choice between 2 litters born just days apart! As for the biting, a good friend of mine has been training dogs since forever, His dog "Cash" enters the BDC Hall of Fame as the 3rd Ranked Lifetime Flushing Dog in the National Bird Dog Circuit. We're not looking to train our puppy to win awards, he's won our hearts and that's a winner in my book =]
More on my friend Rob, and his "Once In A Lifetime Dog" can be found at this link below.

If Rob can't help us, we're in trouble lol

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Your friend's lab, and that dog's accomplishments, are a true statement of your friend's training ability. But, as a guy who has worked hunting dogs and GSDs for many years, I can tell you the methodology for each is very very different!

That being said, beautiful pup! Congratulations!

Reactions: Torr

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
PS: Please don't worry when those beautiful upright ears start dancing around. They will...but they'll be fine!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind comments, tim_s_adams
Bear Cub is a handsome young boy! We can't take credit for his parents work, but we are happy!
I like his waffle cone ears, they're awesome, and he has total control of them now lol. I'm not sure what dancing they will do?
As for training, everything is going really well, and even the biting has lessened some, too. I think we will be fine =] I just hope we can keep the positives flowing and not run into anything major and need professional help ~ Thanks again !

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
133 Posts
what are the odds that he might rip a hole into the bottle and then cut himself with it?
Just keep an eye on him while he’s chewing the plastic. I would keep several bottles on hand and swap them out as they became too chewed up. Make sure you remove the cap and the plastic ring that sits below the cap as well.
My guy also enjoyed messing around with empty spinach containers! He would stand inside the lid and “skate” around the house with one paw. 🤣

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
751 Posts
Our girls love to remove the ring and cap and then spits them to the side. If I throw down 6 empty bottles she will pull the caps off of all them before she picks one to chew on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skating around is fun! Bear puts his paws in his stainless steel water bowl and skates around on the linoleum for hours in a day ~ His other water bowl is plastic, and he likes to pick it up and toss it around his double size playpen. When he wants more water, he will pick up these bowls and bang them against the cage like a prisoner demanding More!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, his coat is nice, I give his parents all the credit for that ~ His siblings were colored similarly, some with a little more brown than silver.
And Zeppy, we take that ring off too.. never know what they might ingest and cause a problem =]
I was out just a bit ago, and this 9 year old girl and her smaller 5 year old sister came over.. Always cause for alarm because Bear Cub is just a big baby, Bear seems to know that they are little, just like him.. makes me happy to tell the wife that Bear was a good boy! When other people come around =]
These girls have their own GSD's, but because they are so used to their own, they would rather play with my dog lol. Their older shep is huge, weighs at least 110 pounds. The first time I went over to their house to say "Hi" they let their big dog out and it glared at me while it pee'd. I told that big boy not to "woof" at me, but as soon as he finished, he took a few steps and was within arms reach and "Wooof! I could feel the sound bounce around inside my rib cage. Very impressive and intimidating bark! I think I will keep my dog on my side of the street until they get more time to just see each other across the road. So far, Good times =]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
20 weeks old pics below.. he's starting to gain weight ~ he's the furriest food processor I have ever had, food goes in and comes out the other end nearly just as fast. Ron Popeil eat your heart out! Our training is going slow but steady. He started howling and he makes the cutest face when he does. Maybe I will teach him how to "Pose" for pics so they don't turn out blurry lol.
Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Grass Dog breed
Dog Carnivore Grass Plant Dog breed
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass
Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Collar
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Wolf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts