German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18 month old fixed GSD female and Saturday I will be picking up a rescue 18 month GSD male, I need suggestions on how to meet and greet to bring them together for a happy family. I have google searched and found info, but I wanted to hear it from some GSD owners. thanks for any or all help and or suggestions

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about it but I had to introduce a 2yr old female with my 5yr old male. The first thing I did was take the two of them for a long walk. This is before letting her into the house/yard. I left her in the Jeep after I picked her up, brought the male out while leashed so he could sniff me and see her. I got him amped up for walk time and took the two of them for an hour+ walk. She had no leash manners and was pulling like crazy but that was really the only challenge. By the time we got back to the house he was fine with letting her come in and they settled great. Walking them might not be a great idea if you think you might have a challenge controlling two GSD's. Not saying this is the best or recommended way for introductions, but what worked for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Duke was 5 when we got Molly and she was a year old. Both fixed. Both stayed inside. Even though he made 3 of her she tried to run it and he did let her until we threw a ball then he let her know it pretty quick from that day on he was her master she followed him in everything. She would get to the ball first stop wait on him to get there and pick it up and run back with him. Now that he's gone we are lost on what to do with her. We just let them loose together from day one and let them work it out. They never fought just had different ways of working it out I guess u could say. But it was never him it was her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts