German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a prong collar for Molly. It will be used mainly to improve the heel and the reaction to other dogs (not aggressive)

Here are the steps I plan to follow when introducing the prong collar to Molly. Please correct me if you disagree with any steps and any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

1 slowly fit prong collar snug just below ears (as per the Leerberg site) and treat

2 Let Molly walk around the house with it until she seems comfortable and treat

3 attach leash and heel around the house and treat ( I am told not to do any corrections what so ever just her pulling will correct her)

5 proceed outside and heel around the yard and treat

6 once she seem comfortable we can proceed on our daily walk and treat often when in correct heel position

7 once we return back home remove the prong and praise

Does this sound like a good plan?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I first used one at obedience class so the trainer fitted it and showed Stosh how it worked- he gave a quick tug and immediately said good boy and treated. Stosh let out a little yelp of surprise the first time he felt it but the trainer had warned me that might happen. Otherwise I would have decked the guy!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I first used one at obedience class so the trainer fitted it and showed Stosh how it worked- he gave a quick tug and immediately said good boy and treated. Stosh let out a little yelp of surprise the first time he felt it but the trainer had warned me that might happen. Otherwise I would have decked the guy!
Do you think I should do this?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
One thing I would add, if you are going to use a prong collar - always have a second collar hooked to the leash as well. When I used to use a prong I always had a fur saver on the dog at the same time. Prongs tend to come apart at the worse time and if you don't have the leash hooked to a second collar you are left there holding the prong and leash while your dog prances merrily away. It does sound like you are headed in the right direction though.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Nothing wrong with your plan, but it shouldn't be such a big deal. I'm with Renee, just put it on and go.

With Gryffon, I let him wear it around the house a few time too just to let him get used to it. Then a couple of walks he wore the prong with the leash attached to his regular collar, again, just for him to get used to it. No issues when we started using the prong with the leash.

With Keeta, she was close to two years old when I first put a prong on her - an assistant in Obedience classes helped me fit it and walked around the room with me to see her reaction. The first time she tried to lunge at another dog was checked by the collar, she twirled around and growled, probably thinking that one of the other dogs in the class snuck up on her and grabbed her neck. I laughed at her and told her to walk on. She had a look of surprise on her face, but then seemed to realize that the collar check was a correction from me. No more misplaced reactions after that. She never yelped or acted scared of the correction, but seemed to really understand what it meant - as opposed to ignoring all regular and choke chain corrections in the past, the prong was something she had respect for.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I would add, if you are going to use a prong collar - always have a second collar hooked to the leash as well. When I used to use a prong I always had a fur saver on the dog at the same time. Prongs tend to come apart at the worse time and if you don't have the leash hooked to a second collar you are left there holding the prong and leash while your dog prances merrily away. It does sound like you are headed in the right direction though.
thank you for the suggestion I never thought of the second safety collar!

Will I need a specific collar to go with the prong?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I just put them on and go- don't make a big deal out of it if you can. Honestly they get the message right away- "hey I can't pull" and thats about it. Your not going to need a drastic correction they are pretty self correcting. To teach heel I held the leash short so if she wasn't in the correct position it would clamp down. It took a few yards for her to begin looking at me to position herself so it wouldn't pinch her,lol

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
thank you for the suggestion I never thought of the second safety collar!

Will I need a specific collar to go with the prong?
I don't think it needs to be a specific collar but the fur saver worked for me because it was loose enough not to interfere with the working of the prong collar but would work for safety if the prong came off. I leave fur saver collars on my dogs to hang their tags on when they are not working but use a different collar (martingale) for other things. The fur savers also do not flatten their fur or pull it out. :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Have to say I agree with the others that you probably can go quicker with putting the collar on. I know I use the smaller collar size cause it's alot easier to fit (adding/removing a link doesn't make such a huge difference in size) and the smaller links are also easier to squeeze.

Top collar has the smaller links I prefer:

Here are both collars on Bretta, the top one is the one I like with the smaller links:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:toasting:thank you to all!!!:) It is so great to have somewhere to go and get great advice from experienced people

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have to say I agree with the others that you probably can go quicker with putting the collar on. I know I use the smaller collar size cause it's allot easier to fit (adding/removing a link doesn't make such a huge difference in size) and the smaller links are also easier to squeeze.

Top collar has the smaller links I prefer:

Here are both collars on Bretta, the top one is the one I like with the smaller links:

Thank you MaggieLeeRose I am heading out and will definitely purchase the smaller prong. Once I get back I put it on and go!
The only reason I thought I should take it slow is because I screwed up with the halti and Molly hates it!

·
Registered
682 Posts
introducing a prong collar? any advice?
I plan to buy a prong collar for Molly. It will be used mainly to improve the heel and the reaction to other dogs (not aggressive)

Here are the steps I plan to follow when introducing the prong collar to Molly. Please correct me if you disagree with any steps and any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

1 slowly fit prong collar snug just below ears (as per the Leerberg site) and treat

2 Let Molly walk around the house with it until she seems comfortable and treat You can get her used to it in the house by putting it on and taking it off, IMO, I would just put it on and go.

3 attach leash and heel around the house and treat ( I am told not to do any corrections what so ever just her pulling will correct her) I would use corrections as that is what the collar is for, if I let my dog pull with a prong she does not get the right correction and would keep pulling, she needs to feel the "pop"

5 proceed outside and heel around the yard and treat

6 once she seem comfortable we can proceed on our daily walk and treat often when in correct heel position I use verbal cues while in this position but you can treat as long as the dog is where you want him or her to be.

7 once we return back home remove the prong and praise Sounds good or you can keep it on for a bit and let her take a bite to eat or get a drink in the collar, this way it's not all correction in the collar.

Does this sound like a good plan? Your on your way and good luck!!!!!!

·
2,967 Posts
Depends on how you plan to use it. Many trainers will load the prong collar in the same way they load a clicker. Prong treat, prong treat...and so on. Collar pops will generally build drive in the dog, and coupled with a conditioned response for food can sort of super charge the prong. For example. If I was heeling (competition style) and my dog looked away, I would pop the collar up- towards my face giving the look command again and as soon as I got the dog looking again I would reward. Pops are followed by rewards when the correct behavior is performed.

We usually allow our dogs to wear their flat collar and their prong collar and just let them wear it around for awhile. Personally in the beginning I don't treat with the collar. It's just a collar like anything else and I prefer not to make a big fuss about it. I fit it, put it on and then for a week or so let them wear but still attach my leash to the flat collar they wear in conjunction with the prong. I don't want my dogs to get collar wise. So sometimes when I am working I will start out on the prong and switch to the flat and vice versa. I reward behaviors not just the collar wearing.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
After Stosh's initial 'introduction' we just went ahead with class and he learned immediately what his limits were. The trainer wanted me to know how to use it properly as well- not something to drag the dog along with but a quick reminder of how far the dog can go from your side. He did test it during that first hour, like can I go this far?...how about THIS far?? Nope!...ok I'll stay right here

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I just put them on the dog and go. Some more sensitive dogs do better if you hook a leash to the prong and a leash to a flat (buckle, fursaver, et) collar and let the dog at least get a feel for the prong.

I have had far more issues with the smaller linked prongs like Maggie shows coming apart than any others. The links in those bend very easily. I do use them, but for training and not for basic "going for a walk" control. I have had the greatest luck with the Curogan collars. They are a softer metal and don't seem to get bent out of shape (unless you drop it and it gets run over by a tractor).

Herm Sprenger Curogan 3.25mm Prong

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The only reason I thought I should take it slow is because I screwed up with the halti and Molly hates it!
Seems to me a lot of dogs end up hating the haltis. But most usually take to a prong collar quite well.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My dogs hated the halti too but get excited when they see their prongs. Zoe bucked like a mad horse with the halti on and didn't want to move- it's just to restrictive IMO and it freaks the dog out. Not all dogs of course, but the prong is really only an irritation if they pull ahead. They can still move the body and head normally and when not pulling it feels like a flat collar which they are already used to:)

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
You don't need to need to use a fursaver, or slip collar like what Leerburg refers to as a "dominant dog collar" as a backup, you can use a small coupler or tab with a ring on one end and a clip on the other. I bought the smallest nylon coupler I could find (4-6"?) and cut off one end. I attach one end to the leash and the other to the flat collar. It doesn't restrict the prong at all, and if the prong fails the dog will still be on leash.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts