German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Fury is 3 and very active. Out of nowhere she started limping and x-rays suggest she has a mild torn cruciate (similar to a torn ACL in humans). The vet prescribed at least two weeks of rest. That means no walks, no daycare, she should even be on a leash when in the backyard. She may end up on Benedryl a lot to keep her from getting restless without exercise. She's not really in pain but we need to avoid making things worse.

This alone is heartbreaking enough; all she wants to do is run. But to make it worse, literally tomorrow we had planned to bring home our second puppy from an adoption event. We have the possibilities narrowed down, been pre-approved by the rescue, prepared the house and yard for a puppy. And now with this setback we aren't sure if the timing is right.

We had already planned for only scheduled meetings between the dogs over the next week or two while they got to know each other but now Fury isn't allowed to play and may be sedated. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I'm making it. Maybe they'd be spending the next couple weeks separated by an indoor gate while the puppy acclimates anyway. I don't know if it would drive Fury crazy to see a puppy with endless energy running around while she can't.

We'd really love some outside perspectives on this. Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Unless you are prepared to keep them totally separate at all times, which seems like a major headache.

I didn't think the type of injury your dog has healed in two weeks of rest, either.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I would suggest making arrangements with the rescue to keep the puppy at least until your girl Fury is able to move around more. If they can't find somewhere else for the puppy to stay while Fury heals. But, IMHO, it would not be good for Fury to introduce a new puppy while she's supposed to be resting and healing. Sorry for all of you this happened when it did, and best wishes for Fury's quick healing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts