German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I are set on adding a male GSD puppy to our family in the near future but have a few concerns doing so.

Currently we have a 3 year old female Maltipoo and a 7 year old male Pixie Bob cat. As of now they are best friends...they play all the time, sleep with us at bedtime, lick each other by the fireplace, etc. I would say the pixie maybe a little more dominate(Hes more like a dog than cat). Our maltipoo is kinda sociable, I kinda think bigger dogs intimidate her because how she reacts to big 80lbs dogs on our walks. However, we did just started taking her to doggy day care to open her up to other dogs and she has been playing very well, took her a few days but she came around. I guess I just wanna everything to be calm and no WW3 going on and I know not everything can be perfect. Is there any steps we should take adding our GSD? How should we go about this? Thank you for your opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Your Maltipoo and Pixie Bob are adorable and they look like best pals!

Adding a GSD, you'll want a puppy that will get along well with cats and small dogs.

Do the introduction slowly and don't force the animals together. They'll either become best friends or ignore each other the rest of their lives.

Good luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
When we brought our GS puppy home, it was really helpful for us to just let the animals fall into their own routine. We tried not to show too much extra attention to the puppy, and did a lot of things the way that we would normally do them. The first few days (in my opinion) are the hardest, because you're settling into a routine. They will all find their places within the family in a few days. :) Good luck! Your animals are adorable!

·
Registered
77 Posts
We did same as above comments, let our pets interact with the puppy and not make big deal about new addition. Initially they ignored each other but are coming along, not rushing anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments! Yes they are pretty amazing with each other... still to this day my wife and I scratch our heads thinking, how are they so attached!?!?

I already bought a 48x30 crate for the GSD that has the divider for when we are not home... we plan on having a sitter come by when we are away at work. We have a office that we keep the maltipoo in when we are gone at our jobs. We figure its about time the malti has the run of the house and use that room for the crate/shepherd. In all we really use that room for all the animals food, littler, toy storage, etc. Its pretty big, has wood floors(whole house does), huge bay window and figure that would be perfect. So when the cat or maltipoo need food or water they go in the same room as the shepherd and they just get use to each other.

Its gotta be like 18 years since Ive had a GSD, best dog ive ever owned. My wife on the other hand never had a dog growing up and the maltipoo is her first... so its going to be a eye opening experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts