German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is due November 7th with our first baby. Samson has been around kids and toddlers and he has been great. He let them hug on him and tug on him and he just sat there and took it. I am not really worried that he is going to have a bad or aggressive issue but more so in the fact that he is so hyper. He is a year and a half old and is just as crazy as he was as a puppy. We are worried that he may try to jump on one of us while holding child or that he become jealous of the baby taking the attention off of him. So my questions are what is the best way of introducing the two and also how can we teach him to calm down on command?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Congratualtions! Most dogs accept babies readily. It has been 25 years since we brought home a new baby but I sat on the couch holding her in my arms. I did this the first thing coming home from the hospital. The dogs wanted to sniff every inch of her (and I let them) and they were very gentle. I praised them in a gentle and calm voice and called her "the baby". Dogs quickly learn babies are members of the family. As long as you are relaxed, your dog will read your signals and be relaxed too. Samson will soon appreciate the new baby even more once self-feeding begins (babies drop lots of food!)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one thing my doctor made sure to tell me to do when i came home with each of my kids the first time, have someone else carry the baby in and ME greet the dogs so they learned they hadnt been forgotten. I think it helped a great deal because they've been good with the kids since day one. Just dont forget to spend one on one time with your pup. JudynRich has some good info. I have tons more for you but it would take way too long. Just be relaxed, teach not to jump and a good one to teach is 'gentle'. You'll get it all worked out. You already know to never leave the two unsupervised. My 5 month old pup learned very quickly if she sits under the high chair long enough, she'll get food. My son thinks he's slick in "sneaking" her food. It'll all work out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Our first GSD, Rappex, was 3 when my daughter was born and while he had been raised around kids in our extended family, we were nervous about bringing a baby home, jealousy, etc. Our Bullmastiff was 2, at the time, but we were less concerned about her reaction as she was very laid-back. Rappex would get very excited when people came over or when we got home, so we were concerned about jumping up as well. While I was in the hospital, my husband brought home a hat and blanket that our daughter had used and let the dogs snif them and sleep with them. Rappex would also lay his head on my belly while I was pregnant, I don't know if that helped him recognize our daughter, but when we brought her home from the hospital, he sniffed her and gave her a lick as if to say, "hey, I've been waiting for you." That was it, after that point, it was as if our daughter had always been around. By the time our son was born, the dogs accepted him without a second thought. We also had my husband carry the baby in the carseat carrier, while I greeted the dogs, as the above poster mentioned.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have someone bring home a piece of baby-worn clothing from the hospital before you come home. The dog can smell that and the baby won't seem so unfamiliar. I never let my dog lick or smell either one of my two newborns for 2-3 months after birth. I'm not scared of it attacking the baby but its a big dog and one wag of that big tail could mean serious injury to a newborn. The dog can smell the baby from across the room just fine and there is no reason why it should stick its nose in the baby's lap.

It is also very important not to neglect your dog when the baby comes. Make sure you keep up the walks, play time, etc. Work on obediance while holding the baby and give plenty of treats when he follows commands. Keep the dog involved by petting him when you hold the baby or are just haning out on the couch...again, for me there was no dog/baby contact for the first few month. I'd be holding the baby and petting my dog.

After a few months, I'd let the dog come up and smell/lick the baby. I taught my dog 'easy' means to be gentle with playtime and grabbing a toy so used that when it was interacting with the baby. Our dog would inch her nose very slowly to the baby to give them kisses, very cute when it happened.

As someone already mentioned, make sure you remain calm and relaxed throughout the first few weeks.months. The dog needs to learn that the baby is not a source of stress for you or him.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
All of the info above is great. I wanted to add that having a new born in the house can make family members very anxious for the first couple of months. That and lack of sleep can cause a lot of new feelings that your pup may not be used to. Keep that in mind during those all nighters with the baby. GSDs really like their schedules. The baby is going to change all of that. During those most stessing times, it might be a good time to take special care that your pup doesn't get over whelmed.

And congrats on the new baby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts