German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 week old has been adjusting to our cat home, and the cats to him

We put up baby gates so that the cats can live their normal life and check him out when they want too. I don’t want to let them duke it out Bc my cats have claws and could easily blind him if they feel like it.

The older cat has been coming into his pen and checking him out. However my puppy who isn’t afraid of anything runs over to her because he wants to play. When he gets to her she puffs up and he just sits there. By this time I’m running to grab the puppy before I see what happens next.

However tonight the same thing happened only this time when I pulled the puppy away he walked away and as he did my cat chased him back. Then he cornered her and she puffed up but didn’t growl, hiss, or swipe at him. It really confused me. Were they just playing or what? This cat has very high prey drive and even chases her own daughter around the house lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like they are working things out. Just keep a close eye on them (in case things get physical) until things settle and they spend most of the time ignoring each other.

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don’t want to let them duke it out Bc my cats have claws and could easily blind him if they feel like it.
This was my worry with my pup too. I stopped worrying once his snout reached a certain length. I don't think the cats could really reach his eyes anymore after that!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
So my four month old female gsd has been around the cat now for two months and still wants to toss the cat around like a rag doll. I have to peel them off each other every once in a while. I'm hoping just a puppy thing and they figure it out. If not the girlfriend and cat will have to go lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have 3 indoor cats, and we left them to get on with it, we have one of those Feliway plugs upstairs and the cats have full run of the house and the pup can not get up the stairs, but after a couple of days the hissing has stopped now I think they are more curious of each other.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Keep the claws cut short, and keep up with the baby gates. I would NOT be letting the puppy throw the cat around like a rag doll :mad: that is not acceptable!!!!!! I cannot say ANY of my puppies or dogs have ever done that to a cat! If you cannot control the situation keep the puppy on a short leash so you are more in control of the interactions.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I would keep a long leAd on the pup. Any interactions have to be controlled and the pup can not be allowed to chase the cats. It makes everything so much better if the cat trusts the pup. If the cats are scared and has no trust in the situation or if a cat is a very skittish cat it will be a big long term project. Some pups are more challenging to train to ignore the cat and some pups just get it. It is important the cat is around often this to makes workable. Baby gates and or a place the cat can get to without being harassed is a must. The pup must not be allowed to harass the cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts