German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
LOVE this new video about clicker training a puppy PLUS showing a green puppy learning the 'sit'.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was wondering is it to old to teach click training. Our dog is 7 months old and I feel she may be to old learn. I have tried many times and all she does is either look at it or just ignore the sound. I mainly need to teach her while she is enjoying her daily walks and I need to teach or make her learn to walk closer or to stay out of the bushes or flower beds along the way. That video is nice and the puppy learned fast. I feel our pup maybe out of the clicker stage.

·
Super Moderator
32,309 Posts
No dog is too old to train, with a clicker or any other method, and especially not at 7 months. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I was wondering is it to old to teach click training. Our dog is 7 months old and I feel she may be to old learn. I have tried many times and all she does is either look at it or just ignore the sound. I mainly need to teach her while she is enjoying her daily walks and I need to teach or make her learn to walk closer or to stay out of the bushes or flower beds along the way. That video is nice and the puppy learned fast. I feel our pup maybe out of the clicker stage.
No dog is too old to train, with a clicker or any other method, and especially not at 7 months. :)
I absolutely agree with Debbie, it's never too old to teach a dog new tricks! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly a dog adapts to the clicker when used properly :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey guys, I have read on different threads that clicker training the dog with its meal food, around meal time can be effective. Others have said not to do this. Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hey guys, I have read on different threads that clicker training the dog with its meal food, around meal time can be effective. Others have said not to do this. Can anyone advise?
Kaiju practices for his mealtime food almost every meal. I don't really see how it could be a bad thing. Maybe if you only exclusively practiced at mealtimes. Then it might be difficult to generalize behaviors because mealtimes are typically at home. But as long as you are also practicing in other areas and at other times, I don't see how a little extra practice could be detrimental.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awesome! So I can train at feeding time and in between with different treats. Can anyone advise at what age I should look at using scent pads for basic tracking beginnings when feeding? Should I get basic obedience down first?? Or is variety good

·
Registered
181 Posts
What is meant by loading clicker?
Also can clickers be used and also the common voice commands and hand signals at same time?? Should we start with only one method sorry have not had a dog in many many years.

I'm thinking one method not to confuse pups but not sure of much.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Loading the clicker just means clicking and feeding a piece of food several times so your dog makes the connection that food follows the click.

Yes, you use hand/vocal signals with the clicker. The click doesn't indicate what behavior the dog should do, it marks when the dog does the right behavior. So if you say "sit" and the dog sits down, you click the second the dog's butt touches the ground to communicate that that was what you wanted.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Loading the clicker just means clicking and feeding a piece of food several times so your dog makes the connection that food follows the click.

Yes, you use hand/vocal signals with the clicker. The click doesn't indicate what behavior the dog should do, it marks when the dog does the right behavior. So if you say "sit" and the dog sits down, you click the second the dog's butt touches the ground to communicate that that was what you wanted.
Thank you, starting to make sense now:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any clicker training videos available? Got my hands full with our new pup so want to make sure I start off on the right foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our trainer recently introduced this and our little boy has taken to it quite well. Now if I could just get him to always pay attention to me..... :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts