1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I haven't watched the first two (yet) but watched the other two a couple of weeks ago before I got my first clicker. I found these to be very helpful.

After watching the "Leave It" video I questioned whether you could really get success as quickly as he did on that video so I sat down with Ridley and tried to duplicate what he did and guess what, it worked! That was a couple of weeks ago and while I still have to reinforce this some Ridley understands the "Leave It" command!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
General puppy training info:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click/treat WAY WAY WAY WAT more often. More clicks. More treats. More having your dog know he's a rocket scientist and always right.

Work on this 'trick'

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tab on youtube is awesome! I've watched every one of his videos multiple times. Kikopup is also amazing. They go hand in hand. Here is a sample of one of Kikopup's videos:

They both have tons to say on the matter and everything they say/show is very well thought out. Clicker training is a lifestyle not just a training method :)

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Yep, I subscribe to both their channels - really excellent stuff! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
GAMES use the clicker to start training GAMES!

Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick <--click that :)

And for those that STILL think using a clicker and teaching tricks has no correlation to REAL dog training.... here's the same trainer from above and she JUST won a July 2012 Agility Championship with her dog. Trained with a clicker. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I loaded the clicker with puppy kibble
I found this gem at petsmart

Clik Stik - Premier Pet

Along with a nice bait pouch

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have been clicker training my dog Banjo for 4 years in January. I'm am clicker training Riley as well. I'm taking my time with her before teaching tricks. The only tricks she knows is paw and spin. The rest is Obedience. Although she only knows Sit, Lay Down, Come, and Stand. It's a great start though!! I highly recommend clicker training, but please do remember it's not for every dog in my honest opinion. I will be the first to admit that I do use a prong on Riley, but that's only to teach her to stop pulling because with trying to clicker train her to stop isn't working, as with the prong it does. We're finally making some progress, it's not a lot, but at least it's working. I am all for using different tools on my dogs', but that's if I have a proffesional help me, and teach me how to use it the right way. Although, I won't put a shock collar on my dog. I don't mind others using the shock collar on their dogs', and won't bash them for it either. It's something that works for the dog, and for the owner too. I respect every training tool out there, even if I don't agree with using it on my dog. Anyways, clicker training is fun. I will continue to use it with Riley and Banjo, as well as the prong. Also, just to add, what I'm trying to say is don't shy away from those "cruel" dog training tools. Try some of them out. It's not as bad as a lot of people think. I use to HATE the prong collar, but it's now something I like using on my dogs' because, again, it WORKS! Okay, I'm done! Ha! Hope I made sense typing this!

Happy Training,

RileyMay :gsdbeggin::gsdsit:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried this?

I haven't been able to personally, but I've read it in multiple books and other sources.

I have been clicker training my dog Banjo for 4 years in January. I'm am clicker training Riley as well. I'm taking my time with her before teaching tricks. The only tricks she knows is paw and spin. The rest is Obedience. Although she only knows Sit, Lay Down, Come, and Stand. It's a great start though!! I highly recommend clicker training, but please do remember it's not for every dog in my honest opinion. I will be the first to admit that I do use a prong on Riley, but that's only to teach her to stop pulling because with trying to clicker train her to stop isn't working, as with the prong it does. We're finally making some progress, it's not a lot, but at least it's working. I am all for using different tools on my dogs', but that's if I have a proffesional help me, and teach me how to use it the right way. Although, I won't put a shock collar on my dog. I don't mind others using the shock collar on their dogs', and won't bash them for it either. It's something that works for the dog, and for the owner too. I respect every training tool out there, even if I don't agree with using it on my dog. Anyways, clicker training is fun. I will continue to use it with Riley and Banjo, as well as the prong. Also, just to add, what I'm trying to say is don't shy away from those "cruel" dog training tools. Try some of them out. It's not as bad as a lot of people think. I use to HATE the prong collar, but it's now something I like using on my dogs' because, again, it WORKS! Okay, I'm done! Ha! Hope I made sense typing this!

Happy Training,

RileyMay :gsdbeggin::gsdsit:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So teaching tricks and using a clicker just got a National Championship for Sylvia Trkman and her pup Bu (July 2012)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I amin Spain andcould do with a few of these clickers which are not sold here. Does anybody know a UK source who will send to Spain. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New clicker video on teaching the 'leave it'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts